Sledgehammer

Tony’s been plowing in Cali

Tony asked if I would post some videos of the plowing they did today. He will add commentary. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

thats some pretty crazy good looking soil out there we dont have anything like that around here cept in the river bottoms with a little sand in the mix

• Like 1

It just seems so wrong for the LEFT hand tires to be in the furrow!  I dream of having a rollover plow so that I did not have to back up/drive around so much with the contour plowing that I do.

• Like 2

A lot of acres got broke (plowed) with IH 145 and 165 flip plows around here in the old days. Now what land breaking (plowing) gets done is with a green switch plow or ripped with a KMC ripper roller.

When planting peanuts in the 70s and 80s we went to the field with 4 tractors at the time. 1086 with a harrow (disc), 1066 with 145 flip turning plow, Ford 5000 with 4 row Pittsburgh cultivator set up to to lay off rows, 1486 150 gallon saddle tanks with 4 row KMC Tillavator with JD 71 planters mounted on the back and a pickup loaded with ever how many bags of peanut seed, Temik and Lasso that we could get on there. When whoever was running the 1086 got far enough ahead of the plow, he would  stop and help load planters(100 lbs of seed to the acre).I wish I had some pictures of it all running.

• Like 5

Thank you Sledgehammer for helping me out with posting videos !  For some reason I have not figured out how to post videos on this forum.
I apologize for quality ! This old farmer gets to excited and you never know what you going to get ! lol. . Lol

Today 12/14/15 Nick ( Nickie ) our beloved Crazy Italian, and MM & I H lover had his annual plow day and tomorrow he will host a tractor pull at his ranch . Great camaraderie food and of course adult beverages after tractors are parked. 
Today I focused on My fearless leader Mel Montereiro with his new find," a W9 fence row special" that he has coveted for five years. 
He said," he wanted to be vindicated from showing up with a fence Row JD 720 has last year" . He almost got booted from plow day by his IH friends lol 

We had several beautiful  MM’s, a Deutz on a plow , and a JD D on plow ( I apologize for lack of pic's my body just gravitates to Red. Not done on purpose !) and an 856 and 140 rollover that was original along with a 1486 that was a discard tractor that our  young I.H. collector and Farmer Chris Martin, tuned up and got her presentable  and also pulled a  140 4 bottom rollover. Most of tractors out today were original runners in their work clothes which was fun and memorable to see.
It had showered some this AM so besides plowing we had the chance to tell many lies . 
Here a few pictures I took to supplement the videos . 
BTW, if any of you know or communicate with Mel Monterio give him a hard time up  the JD stuff last year because , He is a die heart IH & Oliver guy !

What you see on the ground is shredded cotton stalks and some lint . This field just got harvested about month ago .

Also note the 1975 IH one ton that belongs to our young I.H. aficionado  and farmer , Chris Martin , owner of the 1486 , he hauled tractor and plow with this binder , sporting a 345 engine .

tony 

37AC5D26-4961-4C29-BB60-4ED47FB58F3A.jpeg

EB008F9B-1217-439B-961F-2C3DF6AAD30B.jpeg

2F97CAF2-C55B-4AFF-95EB-393783F20666.jpeg

2199379C-FD11-4862-8C5F-DA07D00E8264.jpeg

9DBE2B93-6124-4E02-9365-C13CFE83AC5B.jpeg

87C52448-A978-4105-B19F-1205DB79F992.jpeg

5C98FD3B-F8CC-4BC0-9D59-E99910386633.jpeg

2B3C9835-3FAA-447C-B87C-710A69D3D299.jpeg

FD4C0EEB-1729-4DAE-ADAD-1C7CF5291058.jpeg

9ED78D3C-4400-4A60-8F41-DF1D7F59EA43.jpeg

639ECC93-3B3C-4187-A71F-9088AE440CD9.jpeg

D0A411B3-3E70-45F8-9017-819985F0CCA3.jpeg

D2D76777-6DF4-4B0A-BECC-ADACF9025B62.jpeg

F7B5DA55-7FB2-4D71-B421-AB800F6E7E70.jpeg

B1A15179-4F5D-43D9-959C-7E42AE739942.jpeg

42252761-17E9-4009-907A-7ED2788D0A35.jpeg

EAFA087A-ED40-4142-8F3B-F23943F0D5F8.jpeg

F9DF0D4F-E14B-4C75-8B43-9F24946F9307.jpeg

4B271AAB-2ED4-4A17-B8BF-0849A75A86AB.jpeg

349BF07B-D3F5-4273-8822-AE1931677931.jpeg

2BE126B0-689A-458A-B35B-8AEB7A15598B.jpeg

3A18F354-36A9-4F88-9DB5-B395C457371E.jpeg

9B934759-527D-425C-9FDC-735A7F89122E.jpeg

36F8220F-5264-40B7-B729-0A3CA85A5569.jpeg

• Like 11

Neighbor across the road that farmed 320 acres with just a 560 gas,  bought a W9 the last year or two he farmed to get more timely on his farming.  The W9 hooked right to all his 560 sized equipment, maybe pulled it a tiny bit slower. He still got done combining in January with his IH 203 combine.  He could disk & harrow ahead of the planter with the W9, and plant with 560. His Cub Farmall mowed the lawn. And the two 8N Fords just took up shed space.  Everything on the farm was half mile rows.

• Like 2

Now that's how you supposed to plow Tony!!  Get to the turnrow flip it over make your turn drop the plow and go again!!  Brought back memories of when l ran a 4840 with a Oliver 5 bottom on land roll-over. Even the same kind of ground. Cotton had been stripped and stalks cut less than a week before. Thanks for taking the vids and pics and thanks Chris for sharing them!!

• Like 2

Thanks tor sharing them. Was nice seeing how them roll over plows work as I have never been around one.

• Like 2

Nice photos and videos! Love them gas 9s....dad has one that he’s had for years (w a 4 bottom 70 plow) that I’ve wanted to see in a field.  Some day......

it always looks funny to me to see a tilled up field plowed, but I know that’s how y’all do it in CA.   

• Like 1

nice pictures and videos! question-how do you lay out the field when using flip plows? if everyone turned and came back in the furrow they just made, where does the next tractor plow to avoid collisions? looks like lots of sections that just get blended together at the end?

• Like 1

Good post ️, thanks for sharing the fun

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jworley said:

A lot of acres got broke (plowed) with IH 145 and 165 flip plows around here in the old days. Now what land breaking (plowing) gets done is with a green switch plow or ripped with a KMC ripper roller.

When planting peanuts in the 70s and 80s we went to the field with 4 tractors at the time. 1086 with a harrow (disc), 1066 with 145 flip turning plow, Ford 5000 with 4 row Pittsburgh cultivator set up to to lay off rows, 1486 150 gallon saddle tanks with 4 row KMC Tillavator with JD 71 planters mounted on the back and a pickup loaded with ever how many bags of peanut seed, Temik and Lasso that we could get on there. When whoever was running the 1086 got far enough ahead of the plow, he would  stop and help load planters(100 lbs of seed to the acre).I wish I had some pictures of it all running.

Love that story !  While I was reading I was remembering my early cotton plantings in sixties and seventies.

The tractor models were older ,as in Farmall 400 and Farmall 560  , However the image of boxes of Temik in back of P.U . with sacks for Acala 442 cotton seed . Our bags were 80 lbs.

I would get thrown in Jail today if I did what back then. 

WE would Fumigate with Telone  when we would bed up for cotton .  The 55 gallon drums would be on a flat bed trailer and a Hand pump with special seals in it to withstand the fumigant would be in bung hole and we would back tractor with a gravity feed tank mounted above the lister bar about operator head height and pump fumigant in. Only precaution was we wore rubber boots because if you get telone on your leather shoe it would eat through it and blister your foot bad. (don't ask how I know )   THen at planting  same flat bed trailer would have with sacks of treated planting seed and half with boxes of temik and some cases Thimet  left unattended, no side boards , and parked at top end of field alongside the road. LOL.  Today, if it did not get stolen the AG commissioner would have me arrested. lol.

Tony

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ny bill o said:

nice pictures and videos! question-how do you lay out the field when using flip plows? if everyone turned and came back in the furrow they just made, where does the next tractor plow to avoid collisions? looks like lots of sections that just get blended together at the end?

Bill , In this case Nick does not care because he lasers his field before bedding up .

In real plowing we start at one end and back and forth in same furrow trying to keep it straight.

Yesterday the guys with the bigger well working plow laid out their portion of the field and the guys with littler plows or first timers ,or plows trying to set laid out another portion of field and they had very crooked rows because more attention was paid to plow or keeping tractor  running.

Tony

56 minutes ago, Tonyinca said:

Bill , In this case Nick does not care because he lasers his field before bedding up .

In real plowing we start at one end and back and forth in same furrow trying to keep it straight.

Yesterday the guys with the bigger well working plow laid out their portion of the field and the guys with littler plows or first timers ,or plows trying to set laid out another portion of field and they had very crooked rows because more attention was paid to plow or keeping tractor  running.

Tony

As someone they enjoys plowing but doesn’t get enough exposure/experience I say thanks for letting others use some ground to learn and/or practice.   

• Like 1

A great weekend , to take mind off Christmas shopping !

Thanks , Nick

Tony

Great pictures and videos, Tony. Very enjoyable to watch. Thanks for posting them.

Yes, enjoyable to watch and listen to. 

Thank you for sharing.

Great videos guys, not the kind of plowing we usually do here around Christmas time 

Very cool all of you guys 😎, I have been to Nicks farm a few years back when we where out visiting Tony and Carol . 

It's hard to believe that now when I go out to the show in Talare California everyone  comes up and calls me by name , it's a small world with more friends, great bunch of people  😊😊

Danny 

• Thanks 1

Tony,   Those weights on that 86 series belong on your 1468.    I think they were only made for the v8’s but could be wrong. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nate said:

Tony,   Those weights on that 86 series belong on your 1468.    I think they were only made for the v8’s but could be wrong. 

Yes your right ! He was given those from a neighbor , and perhaps if he finds a 1468 he'll buy a tractor to fit the weights. lol

He is not discounting that thought.

Tony

7 hours ago, nate said:

I thought the same thing. Hadn’t made it to the parts book yet to look. 

• Like 1