Massey combines

Big Bud guy

3 hours ago, dale560 said:

A lot of Massey combines in our area. I bet they had half the market. A few 865s then by the mid 90s they all got traded for other brands.

Same here. In the late 1970s, I would say the combine market was pretty even between Massey(750/760s), Deere(66/7700s), and Gleaner(L/L2s).  In the early/mid 1980s IH replaced Gleaner as the N series Gleaner sure had their problems. Still a lot of Masseys(850/860s then) and Deeres(77/8820s). After the late 1980s, Massey pretty much disappeared. Don’t remember any 855/865s around here, just a couple 8570 rotaries in the 1990s. 

12 hours ago, SDman said:

Didn’t they paint Massey 865s black for a short time? Don’t remember if it was promotional gimmick or something else, but I’ve seen pictures of black ones. 

If you google it up I think they did paint an 860 black and gold for promotional purposes.

• Thanks 1

Gleaner rotaries were somewhat popular on the harvest trail in the early '90s. Probably were never that popular after that. Fewer dealers and not as easy to work on as a Case IH. Massey was losing it as soon as rotaries bit into their market in the late '70s and there got to be fewer dealers in the farm crisis. 

I will see what I have in French brochure on the Massey Ferguson combine harvesters.
If I find them, I post them on this forum icon_wink.gif
My specialty is the Axial Flow combine harvesters icon_lol.gif

On 12/14/2019 at 10:51 PM, Loadstar said:

Had somebody "Macgyvered" it together? I don't recall there being a factory option of a direct cut header on Massey 851. Or even the 6601. 

Ralph, I think it may have been factory, my 751 certainly had a place for guards and knife drive even a pulley installed likely for either reel drive or pickup. 

22 minutes ago, IKS said:

Ralph, I think it may have been factory, my 751 certainly had a place for guards and knife drive even a pulley installed likely for either reel drive or pickup. 

Neighbor had a 6601. He would combine swaths then when sunflowers were popular. He would remove swath pickup. Then mount the guards sickle and sunflower pans to combine sunflowers.

I see the JD 6601 was sold with a 13 foot header that could have two different sizes of pickups and also cutting parts and reel to direct cut. 13 feet is pretty small for that combine though. 

9 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

I see the JD 6601 was sold with a 13 foot header that could have two different sizes of pickups and also cutting parts and reel to direct cut. 13 feet is pretty small for that combine though. 

13 feet may not be a lot of cutting platform, but it makes for a 22-23 foot wide combination, even when the tongue is folded into the transport position.

Now that may not seem like a lot to anybody west of the Mississippi, but here in the East it makes for some frazzled nerves when moving the combine and tractor.

Also the offset head has a tendency to overload the feederhouse and cylinder on the righthand sideif pushed to hard, while the left hand side coasts along.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

13 feet is pretty small for that combine though. 

It was considering 55s ran around with 14ft headers.  The normal header size for 6600s around here was 22ft.  Unless it was irrigated 13ft wouldn’t load a 6600.

9 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Gleaner rotaries were somewhat popular on the harvest trail in the early '90s. Probably were never that popular after that. Fewer dealers and not as easy to work on as a Case IH. Massey was losing it as soon as rotaries bit into their market in the late '70s and there got to be fewer dealers in the farm crisis. 

They left the scene before that.  Our main custom cutter from the late 60s to the 80s was Tupper and his crew. 

https://uschi.com/hall_of_fame/inductee_details/forrest-tupper.php

Our farm used to be his last stop.  There are a few photos in the video taken in our neighborhood.  What the biography/video doesn’t tell you is the Gleaner N series almost broke his ass.  It was so bad he told us he would have been better dropping them off at the nearest Gleaner dealer and just waking away taking the hit. I’m willing to bet the only reason he switched to Massey is because that’s all he could afford since JD and the AF cost more.  Also, we once hired a cutter out of Kansas who I think was just a farmer making a one time run.  His combine was a N7 and that think wouldn’t not work at all in our solid stem wheat.  Actually had to tell him to leave the field.

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

It was considering 55s ran around with 14ft headers.  The normal header size for 6600s around here was 22ft.  Unless it was irrigated 13ft wouldn’t load a 6600.

20 for swath was enough for a 6600/6601 here. 18 was actually about perfect. But then we produce alot of straw around here. I remember some very slow rounds picking up 20 foot swaths with the 6601. Tried some lighter 24.5' and left it. No way I was going to fight with it

43 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

They left the scene before that.  Our main custom cutter from the late 60s to the 80s was Tupper and his crew. 

https://uschi.com/hall_of_fame/inductee_details/forrest-tupper.php

Our farm used to be his last stop.  There are a few photos in the video taken in our neighborhood.  What the biography/video doesn’t tell you is the Gleaner N series almost broke his ass.  It was so bad he told us he would have been better dropping them off at the nearest Gleaner dealer and just waking away taking the hit. I’m willing to bet the only reason he switched to Massey is because that’s all he could afford since JD and the AF cost more.  Also, we once hired a cutter out of Kansas who I think was just a farmer making a one time run.  His combine was a N7 and that think wouldn’t not work at all in our solid stem wheat.  Actually had to tell him to leave the field.

Isom harvesting out of Kansas used to come to the area with 5 or more rotary gleaners until about 1995. They even had silver / black trucks to match. A guy out of anamoose Nd used to go south with 4 gleaners he quit going south a few years ago but switched to Caseih combines 4 years ago. In fact the other day he had a caseih McDonald’s on front of one of the old gleaners. There still are about 5 or 6 newer gleaners running here on local farms

19 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

13 feet may not be a lot of cutting platform, but it makes for a 22-23 foot wide combination, even when the tongue is folded into the transport position.

Now that may not seem like a lot to anybody west of the Mississippi, but here in the East it makes for some frazzled nerves when moving the combine and tractor.

Also the offset head has a tendency to overload the feederhouse and cylinder on the righthand sideif pushed to hard, while the left hand side coasts along.

That would be why they went to the wide offset hitch on the 7721. The 214 pickup header off the self propelled quick attaches right onto the 7721 pull type so it has centre delivery. There is no option for straight cutting with the 214 header though. And yet I can still drive into my quonset with the duals on the magnum and the 7721 swung into transport. 20 foot doors. 

I drive by the Massey Ferguson North American Combine Assembly Plant everyday. Its been 22 years this spring and there is just a faded shadow of the huge letters on the front of the building closest to the highway ( I think that one was the stamping plant )  Just under 3000 employees with many spinoff jobs including several Gates rubber palnts as well as all of White Farm Equipment" appr 800 employees ( plus spinoff jobs) in a city of 60-70,000 in the 80s.Two UAW/CAW Union Halls ( none now) The city has never replaced those excellent jobs and there is a generation or 2 that have no idea what Cockshutt was 

DSCI0625.JPG

• Sad 1

this pic I took about 5 years ago or more . its part of the Massey Foundary at a different location in Brantford. There were several more buildings as well but after they were left to deteriorate they were finally knocked down

Sorry for the hijack …..just wanted to share where all those machines came from

DSCI0263.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, hillman said:

this pic I took about 5 years ago or more . its part of the Massey Foundary at a different location in Brantford. There were several more buildings as well but after they were left to deteriorate they were finally knocked down

Sorry for the hijack …..just wanted to share where all those machines came from

DSCI0263.JPG

Sad to see that. Thanks for posting

Has it not been 32 years since MF combines closed?   No other use found for the property and buildings in 32 years.  I see businesses close in our local town and there never seems to be new business go in some of the buildings that are not that old.  Frequently the problem is city taxes makes the value of properties actually negative.

6 hours ago, IH884 said:

Has it not been 32 years since MF combines closed?   No other use found for the property and buildings in 32 years.  I see businesses close in our local town and there never seems to be new business go in some of the buildings that are not that old.  Frequently the problem is city taxes makes the value of properties actually negative.

Oops ,I usually proof read, The bankruptcy sale was in spring of 1988, Massey split the company in 2 divisions and sunk the Massey Combine Corps which also built big 4wd and balers in the final few years

The combine assembly plant has warehousing and other business in the buildings and more buildings were added. It was less than 20 years old when Massey left. Theres a few details in Wikopedia that are not correct regarding Massey. The older Massey and White properties ended up owned by the city from back taxes and the tax payers paid the cleanup costs associated with decades are abuse

This building was the oldest remaining Cockshutt building( not original Cockshutt building) that sat vacant for years while a group was raising money to convert it into a museum.someone torched it  ☹️

1331184137891_ORIGINAL.jpg

DSCI0256.JPG

DSCI0254.JPG

• Sad 1