New or Old Sickle bar Mowers (haybines included lol)

U-C

On 6/9/2022 at 4:46 PM, leeave96 said:

MF 32 sickle mower on our MF 50 diesel use to be the main hay cutter on our farm.  Still use it occasionally.

That's a beautiful site, mine would plug by then. I need to make some adjustments I think 😁

Mark

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MacAR said:

I brought this 472 home yesterday: 

20220702_102502.thumb.jpg.da221e0d0f9305071e9713392e1f1e78.jpg

Seems to cut well, and the 300 has no trouble with it.

Mac

Nice, New Holland still made that Haybine model till 2020 I think

• Like 1

1 hour ago, U-C said:

Nice, New Holland still made that Haybine model till 2020 I think

That's right, they only make the 488 nowadays. Pity, as the 7 foot size is darn near perfect for narrow gates and hard to get to place.

Mac

• Like 1

first Rapid motor mower from 1926 in the first year they made only 50 and the year after that 200, it sold for over 2 500 Swiss Francs back then (the US dollar was about 5 times as high back then) 

1075779677_RapidE.jpg.75fc455bb126e7e1b0ea3311f7041ad7.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/15/2019 at 10:04 PM, Tonyinca said:

Tell me About it ! 

My dad had a #5 JD mounted on a Ford 8n and it was my job in summer vacation from grammar school to mow hay . Round robin , Get to one end of ranch and start over at other end.

I loved working hay except for that lousy #5 , My Dad put a mark on the throttle that I was not to exceed and darn if everytime I tried to go little faster to keep from falling asleep it would brake a sickle head or a pitman .

I got so many tongue lashings from my Dad over the years that I came to hate anything GREEN or with initials resembling J.D.

The BTO behind us Ran 4  Ferguson 30's with three point Ferguson Hay mowers and their speed was only limited by the tractor. It was so embarrassing I was operating less then half of theirs.

Finally my Dad bought a three point # 100 I.H. balanced head mower and we put it behind a new Ferguson 35 Deluxe and was finally able to mow hay in comfort and at a speed that I did not have to be embarrassed of  anymore .

No more tongue lashings from  DAD and we both loved the I.H. symbol on the mower . lol

Tony

A Good scolding back then and now look at ya ! Yep !did all right in my opinion . lol oh 

On 12/18/2019 at 3:36 PM, 560Dennis said:

This my hot set up , All I can hope to get now. 
Wish I could find a Kosch model 2 

12DE8EAB-CA8D-4AD9-9ABC-66A5C3E465BB.jpeg

I proud of the work we did on the New Idea 30 A . I figured it was about a month of work to get it going . Thunder ended up about three years. I can’t say I’m proud my estimated projects I was humbled by it. 
i never like this mower but it what we had . I forgot how much of a pain it was to operate or I’d never would have started it. Oh well ! 
But I was determined to overcome all the years of frustration,by turning it into the mower it was designed to be. Have to say it’s not easy or cheap. I would not recommend it to anybody. But we did it and it gets  use to mow 25 acres these past few years . Is it perfect no but it will do the job.

57DFC5B1-850D-40FE-9A57-24E5D4BC1CCB.jpeg