New or Old Sickle bar Mowers (haybines included lol)

U-C

On 4/28/2020 at 9:25 AM, acem said:

Dad traded it for a new holland 451 9 ft sickle mower.   ......sickle for some jobs.

A friend of mine just picked up a New Holland 450 sickle (6 or 7 feet ...didn't measure) at a local auction.  Compared to what I see as asking prices on some ads, he got a good deal.  Mower is in very good condition.  He wants it for just some certain areas around his farm.

What are the odds that one of you gents have an owner/operator manual that you could share proper hitching/set-up/adjustment of the 3-point cable-lifting hitch for this unit?  It looks fairly simple - in a complicated sort of way -  LOL!  A "cheat-sheet" would probably save him (me....) some head-scratchin'.

Thanks

Mark

4 hours ago, DT361 said:

A friend of mine just picked up a New Holland 450 sickle (6 or 7 feet ...didn't measure) at a local auction.  Compared to what I see as asking prices on some ads, he got a good deal.  Mower is in very good condition.  He wants it for just some certain areas around his farm.

What are the odds that one of you gents have an owner/operator manual that you could share proper hitching/set-up/adjustment of the 3-point cable-lifting hitch for this unit?  It looks fairly simple - in a complicated sort of way -  LOL!  A "cheat-sheet" would probably save him (me....) some head-scratchin'.

Thanks

Mark

https://www.themanualstore.com/New-Holland-450-Sickle-Bar-Mower-Operators-Manual-p/nh-o-450-455(80012).htm

5 hours ago, DT361 said:

Thanks

Mark

We bought one this week for $500 in good shape.  I thought we got a good deal.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

$500 in good shape

$450.00 for him, so about the same.  On Tractorhouse for $600-$1600 - probably be there for a WHILE!

1 hour ago, U-C said:

Well....I didn't mean to imply he (we) wanted to BUY one!  ?  Thanks, tho

M

We've always used John Deere #5 sickle mowers for trimming around things.  I grew up running one behind a John Deere B.  I think we have seven of them in various states of use. 

20210611_135859.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my 120 mower for a bit over 25 years. Bought it cheap from a scrapper, added a new bar from Rowse a few years back & it just keeps on going. Doesn't owe me a cent either. Great machine!!

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use a NH 451 to clip pasture and roadside but ain’t had time to break that out this year. I may get pics later of that but for today had the 492 haybine out yesterday to put a little more hay down. I like my sickle bar mowers! I heard an old timer say once the grass will grow back better from a sickle cut than anything else. 

30395A83-756E-4E7A-AE4C-946E8F74F60A.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

I use a NH 451 to clip pasture and roadside but ain’t had time to break that out this year. I may get pics later of that but for today had the 492 haybine out yesterday to put a little more hay down. I like my sickle bar mowers! I heard an old timer say once the grass will grow back better from a sickle cut than anything else. 

30395A83-756E-4E7A-AE4C-946E8F74F60A.jpeg

I have heard that as wheel.  Supposedly a sharp sickle does less damages than a rotating blade.

17 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

I've had my 120 mower for a bit over 25 years. Bought it cheap from a scrapper, added a new bar from Rowse a few years back & it just keeps on going. Doesn't owe me a cent either. Great machine!!

Mike

Nice rig!  What kind of hold-downs are you running there?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

I have heard that as wheel.  Supposedly a sharp sickle does less damages than a rotating blade.

I haven't heard that, but I can easily see the difference between my field & the rented one that butts up against mine. The disc mowed field takes a little longer to come back after cutting & the mower leaves a lot of bare stems behind, especially on corners. Doesn't seem to matter what speed it was cut at or the crop condition. My sickle mower will cut good & clean unless it plugs or something goes wrong.

Mike

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Nice rig!  What kind of hold-downs are you running there?

They are the adjustable hold downs from Rowse. Boy do I like them! Easy to keep set. Also don't have to putz with them too much either.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 10:37 PM, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Mike

awesome mower, if I ever buy a new mower or a used one it will be a sickle, some folks say even in the old country that the sickle mowers era is over but I do not believe that for a long shut, one small swiss shop makes them for walk behind two wheel tractors any make and even for hill tractors now too. 

-Urs

PS I subscibed to ya'r channel, awesome videos keep em comin 

• 3 weeks later...