New or Old Sickle bar Mowers (haybines included lol)

U-C

.....hydro..great little tractor, used the New Holland 444  Haybine for  small lucerne blocks  around our district

...like JD  Humm  and his Farmall   504.....I always regretted   selling that Hydro tractor......dumb....

Mike

post-157-1263451919.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
8 hours ago, U-C said:

Boy! That's a fancy setup! Wouldn't do me much good without the conditioner hitch, but then again.... I don't think my conditioner would stand for that high speed. Will have to post some vids of my mower/conditioner setup later.

Mike

Interesting concept. I see some advantages to this over a disc mower throwing rocks around. But how long does it stay sharp and how costly to keep in the field.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 4:59 PM, ray54 said:

Interesting concept. I see some advantages to this over a disc mower throwing rocks around. But how long does it stay sharp and how costly to keep in the field.

We will mow all first cutting before changing or sharpening sickles.  With these, its all about setup and adjustment.  A well adjusted sickle mower will mow right with a disc mower.  But if they're not set right, out of adjustment, etc, they won't.  Takes more skill and know how to mow with them.  Whereas a disc mower, put new blades on it, if it turns, it mows!  Kind of idiot-proof.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2021 at 1:46 AM, U-C said:

I got a buddy lookin to buy an Enorossi 8' right now, to use on steep ground he doesn't want to get on with his disc mower.  I'm encouraging him to get it, I'd love to try it out!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

We will mow all first cutting before changing or sharpening sickles.  With these, its all about setup and adjustment.  A well adjusted sickle mower will mow right with a disc mower.  But if they're not set right, out of adjustment, etc, they won't.  Takes more skill and know how to mow with them.  Whereas a disc mower, put new blades on it, if it turns, it mows!  Kind of idiot-proof.

yup totally, back in the old country we used a drum mower which is similar to disc mower but simpler and a sickle bar mower on a walk behind tractor. The grass cut with a sickle mower will always regrow faster then from a drum or disc mower that smashes off the grass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MCC said:

I just picked up this IH 100 to use on 3 acres of hay for hobby purposes.

KIMG2107.jpg

Good mowers ! Put many hours seat time with a #100 balance head covered many acres .

tony

• Thanks 1

Ever notice that European farmers, especially dairy, are not as concerned about the lack of alfalfa in their hay? 
Was told they preferred minimum of alfalfa, as too much makes the milk taste bland, thus leading to bland tasting cheese.

On 6/6/2021 at 1:05 PM, Lars (midessa) said:

Ever notice that European farmers, especially dairy, are not as concerned about the lack of alfalfa in their hay? 
Was told they preferred minimum of alfalfa, as too much makes the milk taste bland, thus leading to bland tasting cheese.

there is Clover ;)