Sign in to follow this  
U-C

New or Old Sickle bar Mowers (haybines included lol)

For the first post I thought to share a video of a Brand new sickle bar mower for the front three point hitch. Pictures of old mowers and new ones either as museum pieces or still in use or sitting in the yard too. And memories using them too if ya guys like to share your exp would be awesome!

• Like 2

You mean to tell me Europe has the same 😉 lazy younger generation like the USA. 😥And the muscled men pushing the old walk behind mowers are tired and nobody to replace them.

That mower moves on out in the video. Hopefully it cuts as good after 500 acres.

• Like 1

I like that! Do they make them wider? Looks like an option to a swather.

Boy, that thing was movin through the field

Wish they would have showed more of how it worked. Looked like a double sickle working against each other instead of guards? That would effectively double the strokes per minute. 

When I paused it, the sections weren't timed at all, really uneven. Wonder what that does. 

It is neat, would like to see more of it. 

Reminds me of a gentleman that built a sickle bar mower where the sections ran around the bar like a chainsaw. Hyd drive and you could reverse the direction. I thought that was a real neat idea but it must not have worked out as I never heard any more about it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sandhiller said:

When I paused it, the sections weren't timed at all, really uneven. Wonder what that does. 

My guess is that if it's all in time that it loads the drive system at two places similar to a plunger on a baler. Out of time there is always one cutting while the other ones are between cuts 

?? 

3 hours ago, bitty said:

My guess is that if it's all in time that it loads the drive system at two places similar to a plunger on a baler. Out of time there is always one cutting while the other ones are between cuts 

?? 

That very well could be, sure looked odd though. I would like to see one demo'ed over here on our grasses. Alfalfa would be a breeze no doubt. But, some of of our low wet meadow wild grasses and gopher mounds it may work better than sickle and guards. We have some that can't be cut with a disk mower, has to be a sickle. It may be the cat's a$$ who knows. 

We last used sickle bar mowers in the 60s.  We got our first self propelled swather/windrower about 1963 a MF 35.  At the time all we put up was oat hay and crested wheatgrass so grain swathers worked fine.  The first photo is an IH and I have no idea what year or model. I like to think it came with the Farmall M.  All I know it has been sitting in that corner since at least the 70s.  2nd photo is a McCormick No 6 I painted up long time ago.  This mower was bought and used by great grandpa when he took up a homestead in 1910.  The JD is the famous Big No 4 that a relative gave me in exchange for a wind charger tower.  This was the last horse drawn mower JD made and was even available with rubber tires.  The last picture is an Oliver I bought at an auction.  I didn’t even know Oliver made a horse drawn mower so I had to have it.  Can’t be too many of these around compared to JD/IH.

BEBE02C3-EAAF-4BDF-A9F4-B93B01E78052.jpeg

1D96EEFE-4B92-484B-962A-2CED110CD9F4.jpeg

650BB9D3-A267-4F0E-8652-0038B5B8491F.jpeg

39B88AA7-5DA8-44C1-9B70-58B7B81FBCE1.jpeg

• Like 3

i grew up using a no 5 deere sickle, i got sooooooooooooooo tired of cutting with it, very slow on teh old B deere ugh

• Like 1

Those tire tracks on cut hay doesn't look good to me

9 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

i grew up using a no 5 deere sickle, i got sooooooooooooooo tired of cutting with it, very slow on teh old B deere ugh

That's where I started as well,I had the big power of a A. But it was a foot more cut than the dearborn on all the old Ford n's in the area were cutting. But in 80 I got a old New Holland swather still belt drive but did have the twin sickle drive. Never have used the mower again. Or the rake till in the drought 4 and 5 years ago. The rescue of hay was easier than putting up fence and grazing the few acres. But relearned how long it takes to rake. Not near as fun as it use to be.

Come on Butch that's how it was done before a haybine or a swather.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

Tell me About it ! 

My dad had a #5 JD mounted on a Ford 8n and it was my job in summer vacation from grammar school to mow hay . Round robin , Get to one end of ranch and start over at other end.

I loved working hay except for that lousy #5 , My Dad put a mark on the throttle that I was not to exceed and darn if everytime I tried to go little faster to keep from falling asleep it would brake a sickle head or a pitman .

I got so many tongue lashings from my Dad over the years that I came to hate anything GREEN or with initials resembling J.D.

The BTO behind us Ran 4  Ferguson 30's with three point Ferguson Hay mowers and their speed was only limited by the tractor. It was so embarrassing I was operating less then half of theirs.

Finally my Dad bought a three point # 100 I.H. balanced head mower and we put it behind a new Ferguson 35 Deluxe and was finally able to mow hay in comfort and at a speed that I did not have to be embarrassed of  anymore .

No more tongue lashings from  DAD and we both loved the I.H. symbol on the mower . lol

Tony

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tonyinca said:

Tell me About it ! 

My dad had a #5 JD mounted on a Ford 8n and it was my job in summer vacation from grammar school to mow hay . Round robin , Get to one end of ranch and start over at other end.

I loved working hay except for that lousy #5 , My Dad put a mark on the throttle that I was not to exceed and darn if everytime I tried to go little faster to keep from falling asleep it would brake a sickle head or a pitman .

I got so many tongue lashings from my Dad over the years that I came to hate anything GREEN or with initials resembling J.D.

The BTO behind us Ran 4  Ferguson 30's with three point Ferguson Hay mowers and their speed was only limited by the tractor. It was so embarrassing I was operating less then half of theirs.

Finally my Dad bought a three point # 100 I.H. balanced head mower and we put it behind a new Ferguson 35 Deluxe and was finally able to mow hay in comfort and at a speed that I did not have to be embarrassed of  anymore .

No more tongue lashings from  DAD and we both loved the I.H. symbol on the mower . lol

Tony

that is so funny, my dad made me put our B in 2nd gear and never faster than 3/4 throttle - i dont know how fast it was but i could get off n walk so much faster - the worst thing inthe world was hitting a bumble bee nest or hornets nest - you were going t get stung multple times, i know a couple times i bailed off the mower after pulling the hand clutch - got a can of gas and flung it - i dont miss those days much - broken section, guard or pitman were frustrating, i haded getting the stupid pitman off the sickle and then grinding off the rivets and putting on sections, dad didnt figure out i knew how to fix them until he went to fix up an old sickle bar so we had a spare and we were getting low on rivets LOL - i figured if i could fix things before he got home i wouldnt get as many butt chewings - i watched him a couple times and I was trained 😉

• Like 2

On 12/15/2019 at 3:40 PM, Butch-Ky said:

Those tire tracks on cut hay doesn't look good to me

lol they use a hay tedder after ;) 

On 12/14/2019 at 11:06 PM, sandhiller said:

Boy, that thing was movin through the field

Wish they would have showed more of how it worked. Looked like a double sickle working against each other instead of guards? That would effectively double the strokes per minute. 

It is neat, would like to see more of it. 

Reminds me of a gentleman that built a sickle bar mower where the sections ran around the bar like a chainsaw. Hyd drive and you could reverse the direction. I thought that was a real neat idea but it must not have worked out as I never heard any more about it. 

an amish company uses the same mower bars check them out https://farmingwithhorses.com/sickle-mowers-for-tractors/

• Like 1

the double action knife mowers have been around for decades invented by Busatis in Germany, a different company makes does mower bars now but still uses the name. Here is another video of the company in my first post 

Another Swiss company makes double action knifes using there own designed knife bars. Wepfer Technics have been making them for many years now too and improving there designs. 

ya can get them in this version or as an option a windrow maker or even a conditioner. Them front mount mowers usually are around 3 meters or 3.2 meters  

12 minutes ago, U-C said:

invented by Busatis in

Deweze used to sell a BR bale processor that used the Busatis double sickle to cut a layer off the bale as it went around. Worked great but parts were expensive and they finally designed their own. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Deweze used to sell a BR bale processor that used the Busatis double sickle to cut a layer off the bale as it went around. Worked great but parts were expensive and they finally designed their own. 

cool,  would of been cool when New Holland or JD or one of the others bought the licence for that mower bar that would of brought the prices down I reckon 

• Like 1

No crushing/crimping/accelerated drying

• Like 1

The '39 H was the mowing tractor with the old Oliver sickle mower. I never mowed when we grew the clover orchard grass and something else mix, but think it mowed pretty hard.  I was mowing all alfalfa, it seemed like it should have mowed good but if you missed one handful of hay the last time you raked or baled you plugged the sickle. Took pushing the clutch in at least FIVE times to clear the sickle. If you didn't plug, at 5 mph, 7 ft cut you could get over 4 acres/hour. Tried mowing with the SM-TA once, the power steering and good Automatic radio were nice, but with my little 10 yr old hands took both hands to shut PTO off. But mowing 6-1/2 mph speeded things up to as much as 5-1/2 acres/hour. The sickle and ledger plates were getting worn, and even the H would break a pitman arm occasionally. Dad shopped for a pull type IH pitmanless 9 ft cut. But for cutting 60 acres of hay a year that mower was a big investment. But mowing 7 acres/hour with SH would have been nice. We made an additional side on the 6 ft Btillion rotary mower removable, 6 ft 5 mph covered 3-1/2 acres per hour with NO stops. Once again,  cost a bit more in gas than the sickle mower, but the extra time cost NOTHING,  as long as I was caught up on the cultivating, and lawn mowing, the straw from combining got raked and baled on a timely manner, not much else to do. A neighbor always made a BIG DEAL over getting straw baled quick. So one year we had 20 acres of oats right along the road. After Dad made 4-5 rounds with the combine I went and got the rake, started raking straw so by the time the field was combined I was done raking straw ten minutes later. Dad pulled the wagon along side the combine, I unloaded the load just completed and still had time to rake a couple rounds. I normally hooked two rakes together raking straw, covered 14 ft per pass. Did not take long to cover 20 acres.

Buying a well used 40 year old New Holland haybine was a major step forward for me when it came to cutting hay. For years I struggled with the old cutter bar mowers breaking sickles and guards. Plugging up at the slightest bit of overlap of old hay underneath. A new knife did not last long after cutting through mole hills and the little stones in them. Times I was down to second gear on the old Cockshutt and still hearing the "pitmanless" NH mower rattling with the strain of cutting. This 479 haybine cuts so much better and easier because it has a reel to clear the knife. I cut hay for a few years using my IH 4000 swather but that 19.5 foot grain header was less than ideal for the job. This 9 foot haybine is good enough for my needs. 

• Like 1

a feller mowing swamp hay for bedding with a double action knife

• Like 2

That thing does an amazing job of cutting and getting around in the swamp but I can't see anything would ever dry out enough to bale in those conditions. 

• Like 1

This my hot set up , All I can hope to get now. 
Wish I could find a Kosch model 2 

12DE8EAB-CA8D-4AD9-9ABC-66A5C3E465BB.jpeg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

This my hot set up , All I can hope to get now. 
Wish I could find a Kosch model 2 

12DE8EAB-CA8D-4AD9-9ABC-66A5C3E465BB.jpeg

Too bad we're not closer. I have two sets of Kosch mounted double 7's. (belly bar and back bar). One set is on an M and the other set is just hangin' around. Not sure of the Model # though. I just use the belly bar on the M for mowing around the place. Them old Kosch's are still good mowers although the new pitmanless are really nice.