Sign in to follow this  
Ryanpickard

Mechanical ih tach convert

I have an IH 706 which orginally had the 282 diesel and it scattered so we put a 5.9 12v cummins in it and was wondering if there is any way to make the original IH mechanical tachometer work with that engine

If the engine has a tachometer drive all you need is a cable the right length with the right ends on it. 

Another option is an alternator with a tachometer drive.

Even with a tach drive you will need a ratio adapter to make it read correctly. We got them made and it will use the original cable and read accurately.

We have set up several at work after doing these conversions and it is really nice having all the original gauges still function as they did.

If you need an adapter give the shop a call next week and talk to Jesse. (717) 682-6263 http://ih1066.com/

Allis used a Delco with a mechanical tach drive on the back of the alternator. They were used on 170/180/190 ect. You can find them on ebay. Put one on a guy's 170 this summer.

Call Ed Lehman. I know that he has made some adapters for these conversations

You can find generic alternators with tachometer drives online. That's where I found the delco 10dn for the 756. It also needed a 2:1 reduction to read right.

send me a pm or call, We have the correct ratio adapter or the kit if you need everything.

ed

I have the alternator sensor for my cummins but that's for an electronic tach

• Like 2