Jump to content

Overheard while waiting at the barbershop


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

jet engine mechanic

You dodged a bullet there. The last thing I'd want to do is turbine engine shop - another day looking at another thousand turbine blades and buckets. I worked line maintenance on live aircraft - a little of everything, always a different problem.

We have one plane down for a "C" check in Lincoln, NE. A C check is three months long and the planes is disassembled, engines off, landing gear out, interior out, controls off, paint stripped, etc, etc.

While not Fairbanks (seen the sun recently?) it's not too far a drive for those guys to at least be out in farmland. 😁

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why is it that every parent of a wayward millennial who is troubled and going nowhere fast thinks their kid should get into the plumbing or electrical trade? And thinks I ought to hire them?  I w

This has become a more common business model here and even on this forum, working for yourself can make more for a guy than having a small crew. If your good enough you can charge more and turn away w

Bitty!!!! What the Thunder???? Jake in office?  The first time it hits the press that he told the First Lady to “waddle faster” there is going to be ANOTHER impeachment fiasco!! (But he

17 hours ago, ray54 said:

 

 

Vt F 😉  generally speaking the less government does the better, so if congress is running a impeachment they are not passing laws we don't need.

But, on the other hand, their not doing things that WILL improve things here, like REAL health care reform, REAL immigration reform, or infrastructure improvements. The government needs a real overhaul to cut out the deadwood and freeloading out including term limits for congress.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, New Englander said:

You dodged a bullet there. The last thing I'd want to do is turbine engine shop - another day looking at another thousand turbine blades and buckets. I worked line maintenance on live aircraft - a little of everything, always a different problem.

We have one plane down for a "C" check in Lincoln, NE. A C check is three months long and the planes is disassembled, engines off, landing gear out, interior out, controls off, paint stripped, etc, etc.

While not Fairbanks (seen the sun recently?) it's not too far a drive for those guys to at least be out in farmland. 😁

 

Yeah, looking back, I am so happy I missed that one.   

my dad commuted out of Minneapolis for 30 plus years to Zimmerman MN, and if I had worked at MSP I could have made that work, but Northwest was bought by delta, and I am sure most of those guys ended up in Atlanta, yuck 

I have not not seen much of the sun much for awhile, but last week I was up on the Arctic Ocean and there was no sun.  Just a red glow on the horizon at noon, then twilight and dark again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, New Englander said:

I blew a job interview there, boy was I lucky!

Now that was a bullet, yikes

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

But, on the other hand, their not doing things that WILL improve things here, like REAL health care reform, REAL immigration reform, or infrastructure improvements. The government needs a real overhaul to cut out the deadwood and freeloading out including term limits for congress.

I agree but i want to throw one other thing out there too. The 2 party stranglehold on the government. You can have term limits but the way the system is at the moment the 2 parties are going to nominate the same type of lackeys to run in their place. Beholden to the party and their benefactors and not the people who elected them. It would be the same $--- just different faces im afraid. Politicians are like buying cattle at a cattle auction. You pay for them with contributions and they work for you and do your bidding.

Ive always said that we have the best government money can buy. Just most of us can't afford to purchase that piece. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

I agree but i want to throw one other thing out there too. The 2 party stranglehold on the government. You can have term limits but the way the system is at the moment the 2 parties are going to nominate the same type of lackeys to run in their place. Beholden to the party and their benefactors and not the people who elected them. It would be the same $--- just different faces im afraid. Politicians are like buying cattle at a cattle auction. You pay for them with contributions and they work for you and do your bidding.

Ive always said that we have the best government money can buy. Just most of us can't afford to purchase that piece. 

Short of eliminating campaign contributions and allocation of xx minutes of “air time” on media stations- AT PUBLIC EXPENSE- how do you level the playing field for all to participate? Then what happens IF we made it “affordable “, are we going to have to sift through a hundred candidates to find the one most of us can accept? It a potential can of worms...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Must be some interesting well water

Just typical Southern New England ground water its slightly acidic if you want to run copper you have to put a treatment system in.

When I built my house 20 years ago I had the plumber use PEX.

I later added some water feed lines for the barn and a outdoor hydrant.

  I used copper in the basement to the foundation wall because I didn't have the tools for the PEX.

 About 15 years later the copper was developing pin holes I have since replaced that with PEX as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Short of eliminating campaign contributions and allocation of xx minutes of “air time” on media stations- AT PUBLIC EXPENSE- how do you level the playing field for all to participate? Then what happens IF we made it “affordable “, are we going to have to sift through a hundred candidates to find the one most of us can accept? It a potential can of worms...

I don't know the answers or i would offer it. However i think we all can agree that its gone to far the route of bought and paid for and the **** with the rest of you. What we have now isn't working. All im saying is term limits isn't going to change much other than the faces because what the heads are doing now are exactly what the successors would do because the primaries would ensure that only the ones that towed the line would get passed the starting gate. If the parties didn't like the incumbent they would drop him or her like a bad habit. Anyone new would be under the same rules. Do as we say or you won't be there long.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2019 at 9:29 AM, oleman said:

As in airplanes, any landing you walk away from was a good landing.

Common core math , As long you can show your work as to how you arrived at 2+2+2 =7  We are good to go !!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can relate to the frustration of the original post, In a way the mention of a wayward soul finding there way in a trade has some merit, not because a dummy can succeed but because it is more common for a skilled tradesman to be the type of person to reach out to a less than desirable candidate, it doesn’t always work out but is grassroots types probably find ourselves investing in a less desirable more often than a corporate type would, and sometimes you get a good one and more often you don’t

It’s not as easy as saying Millennials, Gen X or Baby Boomers to blame, there has always been lazy people regardless of popular culture’s categorization of there birthdate

Here in the province of Ontario where I hail from a barber is a Red Seal trade similar in certification to a mechanic or electrician, so why isn’t the person in the barber chair suggesting a career in cutting hair? Is that not good enough their snowflake?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2019 at 12:00 PM, pt756 said:

bad thing is that after all my years of being able to  go the local barber he finally had to quit, miss the local things he always knew, now still have hair that needs to be cut, so resorted to the local 2 lady beauty shop, not much guy talk there,

Actually my barbershop is “teds” Ted was a friend of my grandfathers, it’s now a 3 chair operation, Ted’s daughter and 2 of her daughters, the other one is a cop in town. I timed it one time, it’s a 15 dollar haircut and averages 11 mins at no point I was there Saturday for an hour was a chair empty. 

Thats 81.80/hr per chair, assuming no one tips, and everyone does. And it’s all cash. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are constantly going through helpers/apprentices at work.  Hire them and mold them to your ways, be tough but fair.  They weed themselves out.

 

At work we have been involve with a youth apprenticeship program through the local highschools. I like what I have seen so far with that.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Actually my barbershop is “teds” Ted was a friend of my grandfathers, it’s now a 3 chair operation, Ted’s daughter and 2 of her daughters, the other one is a cop in town. I timed it one time, it’s a 15 dollar haircut and averages 11 mins at no point I was there Saturday for an hour was a chair empty. 

Thats 81.80/hr per chair, assuming no one tips, and everyone does. And it’s all cash. 

Mine is "The Clip Joint",  all women, they rent the chairs. I always use the same woman as she opens early and I can find an end parking spot that my pickup will fit. Basic haircut is $17. She cleans me up nicely and I always give her 25. Takes around 20 minutes but she trims my 'stash, shaves my neck, and we catch up. I've observed the same rapid turn around on Saturdays when all the girls are clipping and the waiting chairs are full.

As you say, cash! Great business. The tip is worth it as if I happen to walk in the middle of the day she'll call me ahead of others.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Rowe, of Dirty Jobs fame, is trying to turn this around.

He is pushing Vo-Tech training rather than college.

His slogan is, "Work smarter and harder".

He is working with all employers and Vo-Techs to get people to fill these needed positions.

He is giving out scholarships for Vo-Tech training and is having a hard time finding competent kids to give it to.

If you want to get behind someone that is trying, Mike is the man.

https://www.mikeroweworks.org/

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Mike Rowe, of Dirty Jobs fame, is trying to turn this around.

He is pushing Vo-Tech training rather than college.

His slogan is, "Work smarter and harder".

He is working with all employers and Vo-Techs to get people to fill these needed positions.

He is giving out scholarships for Vo-Tech training and is having a hard time finding competent kids to give it to.

If you want to get behind someone that is trying, Mike is the man.

https://www.mikeroweworks.org/

 

Mike Rowe is outstanding.  Here's a good interview where he explains some things:

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2019 at 6:16 AM, Diesel Doctor said:

Mike Rowe, of Dirty Jobs fame, is trying to turn this around.

He is pushing Vo-Tech training rather than college.

His slogan is, "Work smarter and harder".

He is working with all employers and Vo-Techs to get people to fill these needed positions.

He is giving out scholarships for Vo-Tech training and is having a hard time finding competent kids to give it to.

If you want to get behind someone that is trying, Mike is the man.

https://www.mikeroweworks.org/

 

We have one of our high schools that has been turned into into a vocational type of school.  While the teachers were working to plan and open it up they toured our apprenticeship training center and one of the teachers realized a former student was now making more than the teacher who was just about done paying student loans off.  
 

just like college, it isn’t for everyone. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Mike Rowe, oddly enough I know 2 other people also named mike Rowe. However, he seems like a decent guy. 

Mike Rowe for president!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...