Jump to content

7140 that burned


bitty
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bitty said:

I would think so to. I have many with the 1 in front end and one with a 2 up there 

 Most of the early magnums in this area have well over 10,000 hours on them, but once in a while you come across one that has much lower hours.

 My 7120 only has 7300 on it and I bought it new. 

 My cousin has a 7240 that has less than 5000 hours on it. 

10 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Why?  I dont get what wrong with the early ones.  Mine has 19k on it and was rebuilt by the PO b/c of a bad rear main leak at 5500.  Run like a top and dont burn a drop.  Was there some internals that are better. 

 

 

 Some people are just too picky! ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

 Most of the early magnums in this area have well over 10,000 hours on them, but once in a while you come across one that has much lower hours.

 My 7120 only has 7300 on it and I bought it new. 

 My cousin has a 7240 that has less than 5000 hours on it. 

 

 Some people are just too picky! ?

 

41 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Why?  I dont get what wrong with the early ones.  Mine has 19k on it and was rebuilt by the PO b/c of a bad rear main leak at 5500.  Run like a top and dont burn a drop.  Was there some internals that are better. 

 :)

 

I think it was @SDman that explained the issues they had. Was worse in the combine as they ran higher RPM. I forget if there was a change in the wrist pin design? 

I am told that the early one has no core value for a rebuild. This was what I was told when we put a reman in our 7140

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The early 8.3L engines had problems with the ring land around the second piston ring breaking apart, causing major damage. The first ring land had what they called a “nickel insert” so it was stronger in that area. For some reason or another, CDC/Cummins didn’t think it was necessary to have it in the second ring land area. That decision would prove to be a major problem. It really showed up in the combine engines when they started putting 8.3Ls in them. CaseIH overhauled all the combine engines in the combines; they rolled the dice on the engines in Magnums. Most Magnum engines ran an acceptable amount of hours before the problem showed up in them. 
As far as older engines, as far as I know the updated pistons are still available for them. Not really sure why there would be no core value for an early 8.3L. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, axial_al said:

Were there any theories about how the fire started?

The guy who told me about it being for sale mentioned it might be electrical from the jump post .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SDman said:

The early 8.3L engines had problems with the ring land around the second piston ring breaking apart, causing major damage. The first ring land had what they called a “nickel insert” so it was stronger in that area. For some reason or another, CDC/Cummins didn’t think it was necessary to have it in the second ring land area. That decision would prove to be a major problem. It really showed up in the combine engines when they started putting 8.3Ls in them. CaseIH overhauled all the combine engines in the combines; they rolled the dice on the engines in Magnums. Most Magnum engines ran an acceptable amount of hours before the problem showed up in them. 
As far as older engines, as far as I know the updated pistons are still available for them. Not really sure why there would be no core value for an early 8.3L. 

Would that be the same for the 8.3's in the 9110/30 4wd's?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SDman said:

The early 8.3L engines had problems with the ring land around the second piston ring breaking apart, causing major damage. The first ring land had what they called a “nickel insert” so it was stronger in that area. For some reason or another, CDC/Cummins didn’t think it was necessary to have it in the second ring land area. That decision would prove to be a major problem. It really showed up in the combine engines when they started putting 8.3Ls in them. CaseIH overhauled all the combine engines in the combines; they rolled the dice on the engines in Magnums. Most Magnum engines ran an acceptable amount of hours before the problem showed up in them. 
As far as older engines, as far as I know the updated pistons are still available for them. Not really sure why there would be no core value for an early 8.3L. 

I got dinged a 1000 bucks for old block on my core and 100 for old timing cover out of a 2000 core. No hole in block or anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2019 at 1:02 PM, dale560 said:

I got dinged a 1000 bucks for old block on my core and 100 for old timing cover out of a 2000 core. No hole in block or anything.

Dale, I guess I can see why they would deduct some for an early block. The Reman people want you to believe the remanufactured engine you are buying is equipped with all the updated parts available to that engine, so they would for sure want the newer blocks for core. After all, they quit using that block in late 1990/early 1991, so any machine newer than that would want the newer block. That being said, the early blocks never had any major problems, just that the newer ones offered some improvements. I sure wouldn’t have any problems overhauling an older block. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

It has gotten the ax . We needed parts for the mixer 7140 in the hydraulic pump driveline and the front axle we put all new seals and wheel bearings in for this tractor also

1597667128234-1154745722.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a few things sitting on the bottom of a lake nearby that we use for Scuba navigation classes. Things like school buses ,boats ,submarines ,satellite dishes ,airplanes, cars, and even an Old Home bread truck. 
 

Don’t have a tractor yet !

Yet!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bitty said:

It has gotten the ax . We needed parts for the mixer 7140 in the hydraulic pump driveline and the front axle we put all new seals and wheel bearings in for this tractor also

1597667128234-1154745722.jpg

yep same parts.......bearing on the bigger gear went causing all 3 to go [6 i guess] and then eating the main shaft gear.  At least you have parts [2 were nla] and a shop with the ability to do it.  We miss our 7140

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

yep same parts.......bearing on the bigger gear went causing all 3 to go [6 i guess] and then eating the main shaft gear.  At least you have parts [2 were nla] and a shop with the ability to do it.  We miss our 7140

We are very grateful we bought the burned tractor. We learned a few things when we split it down into sections for storage

IMG_20200814_120754860_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200814_120754860_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200814_120807763_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200814_120813483_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200814_120825189.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We learned how to remove the range transmission after removing the speed transmission. We have only had a speed off before. I was hoping to make it rain but I think we will get these back in the shed before it rains again. 

IMG_20200814_120840741.jpg

IMG_20200814_120856413_HDR.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Rain?  What is that??????

Someone I wish I could borrow some of the extreme excessive amount from the last two years previous to this one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wish I had your abilities or the time to teach myself...  

Getting dry again here too.  Had a ton of rain when the hurricane or whatever it was came through but nothing since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

Wish I had your abilities or the time to teach myself...  

Getting dry again here too.  Had a ton of rain when the hurricane or whatever it was came through but nothing since.

South of here has been constantly getting more often than we had when a chance was called for. We had 2" all of June and July

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't get squat in the gauge here, mile up the road neighbor claims he has an inch plus??????????????  I seriously think someone is dumping water in his gauge, he is just as brown as we are?????

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2020 at 9:51 AM, lorenzo said:

I have a few things sitting on the bottom of a lake nearby that we use for Scuba navigation classes. Things like school buses ,boats ,submarines ,satellite dishes ,airplanes, cars, and even an Old Home bread truck. 
 

Don’t have a tractor yet !

Yet!

Sounds like a good place to put all those green hand clutched "tractors" like I got to run while growing up.  cab

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

2" June and July you guys are burning up.  We have nothing to complain about compared to where you are with rain.

We are definitely dry . Usually we can squeak by with less than the areas north and south of here because we are slightly cooler and a shorter growing season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...