7140 that burned

We took delivery of a crispy 7140 today. I was busy with pumping manaur and I have not looked at it closely yet. I have hopes of maybe making it a crude open station for the purpose of running manure pump etc. We would have to get a fair amount of parts to rebuild the engine. I have 4 tires that would work. We can make a minimum of what is required for the wiring. Make it's own dash. I would probably remove all of the rockshaft if that's feasible to delete the 3 PT. All the hydraulic hoses are bad etc. 

I will look at it and probably talk myself out of these crazy ideas but who knows at this point. Guy hauled it with the duals on a dual tandem trailer behind a F450 .

MFD axle, 18 weights, HD drawbar, top link, 6 rims , dual and hubs are the main parts we wanted . 

Unfortunately it looks like the aluminum serial tags aren't very readable but I think the main serial number is on the right frame rail stamped in it 

Screenshot_2019-12-12-15-00-49.png

Screenshot_2019-12-12-14-08-29.png

Screenshot_2019-12-12-14-08-37.png

Screenshot_2019-12-12-14-09-37.png

• Like 1
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It always amazes me the amount of time, effort and thought dairymen spend on Poo

If your running a pump off a power unit, you put it on a pontoon and leave it in the middle of the lagoon, and don’t move it again.   The piping of a pontoon will probably use some floats or a br

Sounds like a good place to put all those green hand clutched "tractors" like I got to run while growing up.  cab

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, axial_al said:

Sad and depressing.  Ruined someone’s day for sure.

I am sure it did. I think the tires were pretty new on it as he had swapped out the front tires to 16.9-28 from 18.4-26 . Front rims look like they are the newest version of the waffle wheels

Prob be more sensible to rebuild engine and .ake a diesel drive.  Just get clutch setup.  I see no point for just pto pump running with all the trans parts spinning for  nothing.  Just get a mt dew and a lawn chair.  Sit and stare....salvage what worth and scrap rest.  If trans okay maybe find a cab.....hummm

46 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Prob be more sensible to rebuild engine and .ake a diesel drive.  Just get clutch setup.  I see no point for just pto pump running with all the trans parts spinning for  nothing.  Just get a mt dew and a lawn chair.  Sit and stare....salvage what worth and scrap rest.  If trans okay maybe find a cab.....hummm

Our sand pit is approximately an 8% slope and we start out with the pipe cart , pump and a 17' hose. Once it's pumped down to where we can we replace the 17' with a 35' hose. Then we add the 17' to the 35' once it's pumped down enough. In the end we have a second 35' hose to add to the first. So 42' pipe cart 70' of hose fed by a 42' pump. Because of moving the pump often a power unit would be great in some way but inconvenient in other ways. I would like to have a secure park mechanism for keeping it out of the mess .....

I think here is a picture of the 17 and 35 together pumping a load with the 230 while stirring up with the 1066 hydro

1 minute ago, bitty said:

Our sand pit is approximately an 8% slope and we start out with the pipe cart , pump and a 17' hose. Once it's pumped down to where we can we replace the 17' with a 35' hose. Then we add the 17' to the 35' once it's pumped down enough. In the end we have a second 35' hose to add to the first. So 42' pipe cart 70' of hose fed by a 42' pump. Because of moving the pump often a power unit would be great in some way but inconvenient in other ways. I would like to have a secure park mechanism for keeping it out of the mess .....

I think here is a picture of the 17 and 35 together pumping a load with the 230 while stirring up with the 1066 hydro

If your running a pump off a power unit, you put it on a pontoon and leave it in the middle of the lagoon, and don’t move it again.  

The piping of a pontoon will probably use some floats or a bridge, but I have seen your fabrication work.  You got this 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, AKwelder said:

If your running a pump off a power unit, you put it on a pontoon and leave it in the middle of the lagoon, and don’t move it again.  

The piping of a pontoon will probably use some floats or a bridge, but I have seen your fabrication work.  You got this 

What we are doing we have to stir the sand within reach and pump it out. As it is pumped down we move further in to reach more. I do make a floating pump with just stirs the pit. They are very ,very ,very ,very expensive.

If we had our pump on a pontoon our hose would have to snake back and forth and then in between loads the sand would settle in it and the hose will plug. The way it is currently it backflows to the pit once a tanker is loaded . 

I have thought about making a power unit with an intergal pump for doing the stirring and pumping both. I think it would be easiest with two engines side by side. That would separate the pump and only stirring so it can stir uninterrupted. I have a truck 466 and 5 speed I was thinking to make a power unit. We have three different pits and two are tight to manuver the pump in 

13 minutes ago, bitty said:

What we are doing we have to stir the sand within reach and pump it out. As it is pumped down we move further in to reach more. I do make a floating pump with just stirs the pit. They are very ,very ,very ,very expensive.

If we had our pump on a pontoon our hose would have to snake back and forth and then in between loads the sand would settle in it and the hose will plug. The way it is currently it backflows to the pit once a tanker is loaded . 

I have thought about making a power unit with an intergal pump for doing the stirring and pumping both. I think it would be easiest with two engines side by side. That would separate the pump and only stirring so it can stir uninterrupted. I have a truck 466 and 5 speed I was thinking to make a power unit. We have three different pits and two are tight to manuver the pump in 

It always amazes me the amount of time, effort and thought dairymen spend on Poo

• Haha 3

The stuff is thick and even with 250+ how you are only effective with stirring within about 20' of the pump. It's why we have found out that two pumps side by side work for covering the width of the pit. Then you back in further as you go to cover the length

Wow,  a lot of horsepower to scour the lagoon bottom clean.  But you seem to have it beat.  Lots of work work and pretty congested at times.  Must be fun doing the hose swap and dance.   

The worst part of the hose swap besides the gasket gets sand in is the couplers are slightly egg shaped so they have to be persuaded together. Definitely is a better day with extra horsepower compared to when we used to use the 5140 or just one 1066 

So, you are pumping now?  That seems non agronomic.  Here we'd be shut down n fined hhhhaaarrdd!

Anyway....here sand guys all have a settling system  (but one actually ) and reclaim 90% prob.  No need to grind...I mean pump all that grit then.

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

So, you are pumping now?  That seems non agronomic.  Here we'd be shut down n fined hhhhaaarrdd!

Anyway....here sand guys all have a settling system  (but one actually ) and reclaim 90% prob.  No need to grind...I mean pump all that grit then.

We have until the 15th.. do you recall how your making first cutting when our grass is just starting to get green in my yard? We are a different climate for sure. 

We do reclaim 90+% to reuse via a gravity system we call the beach. This is the stage one pit that gets the last ten percent of the sand 

• Thanks 1

I just finished Soils 418 at Penn State.  We have an entire class devoted to the PA nutrient management plan designed for farms with manure.  There are so many rules and regulations it takes an entire semester to cover them all.  Kinda makes your head spin but it’s all part of keeping the hippies in DC happy and still being able to farm somewhat unhindered.  

A lot of it has to do with the Chesapeake water shed. One of the nice things about being on this side of the hill. Don't have to deal with dat chit!

Why do you guys refer to liquid manure as "sand".....around here it's just "honey" or "liquid manure "  or "sh!t"......

Just curious 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Why do you guys refer to liquid manure as "sand".....around here it's just "honey" or "liquid manure "  or "sh!t"......

Just curious 

There is sand that they use for bedding mixed in that crap. The system is if i understand it is in stages so they can separate the sand from the $--- so they can reclaim it and reuse it. This is the first stage if i understand correctly. The crap after this is spread on the fields.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Just curious 

We bed with sand. 90% of the sand we reclaim to reuse. The other 10% ends up in the first stage lagoon and gets spread out on the fields. It takes a bunch of horsepower hours to handle it throughout the year but sand is readily available and inorganic

No dairy around here, just confinement hogs, so it is just outside of what I am familiar with.....thanks

Just now, Mr. Plow said:

No dairy around here, just confinement hogs, so it is just outside of what I am familiar with.....thanks

I don't milk either ( feed cattle and have beef cows) just what little i know helps. You don't run dairy cows on slats.

1 minute ago, Reichow7120 said:

I don't milk either ( feed cattle and have beef cows) just what little i know helps. You don't run dairy cows on slats.

Actually there is a very successful dairy east of us that has a slatted barn. they all have their advantages and disadvantages. one of the disadvantages nowadays is kiln dried sawdust has gone up in price and the availability is getting very tight

Middle of IL is hogs on slats......not a lot of cattle any more when you can raise high yielding corn and beans.....