Stuck main clutch on my t4, Ideas please.

Got it started in gear and bumped it to a hickory stump to unstick it.  No deal... only spun those little worn out 10" shoes.  Did this 3 times.... no luck.  Took belly pan off along with dust cover and the disk is stuck to the flywheel and the pressure plate disengages like it should.  This machine has the short propeller shaft between the bellhousing and transmission.(so i ain't gotta split the tractor}.  Anyone had luck driving slimjim type wedges between the f-wheel and disk with the c-pedal depressed?  Thanks 4 any ideas. 

I would try to get something in between (gasket scraper, whittled down butter knife, etc) to at least get some of the disc freed up.

Are you able to tell if the clutch disc splines still slide on input shaft ?   Maybe a little weasel piss won't hurt

Best of luck

I have considered using Evaporust in the clutch housing to dissolve the rust and free it up.  My only concern is whether it could penetrate between the discs to get to the rust.  It works great on other rusted items and won't hurt non ferrous metals.  i have an early Cat D2 with the small port over the clutch that had a mouse nest built in the clutch compartment.  it has been soaking in kerosene for 10 years or so.  That had rust all through the release mechanism though.

With the clutch pedal depressed i can get a drywall knife between the disc and p-plate.  i'm gonna tie it down and using that gap try the knife between the f-wheel and disc.  Well see what happens.

One time my dad's Farmall A clutch stuck over winter and he had tried a bunch of things including backing off the pressure plate bolts with no success. With the bolts loose I took it out in the field and got a little rough with it. I think it broke free the second time I shifted down from third to second. CRS. I realize that would be much more difficult in a crawler but I think that having the forces going back and forth will be more likely to break it free than applying the force in one direction only, such as pushing against a stump. 

it sounds like mostly the splines are sticking now.

disengage lever,add some atf acetone and wifes hair dryer for capillary action

brass punch or dulled /low air chisel for shaking the bits out.... rotation/rotation repeat 

On 12/13/2019 at 11:08 PM, mmi said:

it sounds like mostly the splines are sticking now.

Yea,  ur right, the disc hub prolly only moves fractionally to begin with on the shaft.  This thing never gets used,  BUT i only redid it 25 years ago!  Its blocked up outside and with my broken shoulder and rib madness last august I still gotta take projects slower.

Got the clutch pedal clamped down to the floorboard using a bar clamp... easypeasy.  Went under with a drip pan and a can of loosejuice and did the best i could.  Its a 38" gauge with only 28" wide under there thus drip pan on my chest and damn fatass throwout bearing in the way unloaded a half a can of blaster up/in there.  Gonna use up the can thursday and have help coming sunday to wrench over the engine while i try to get the disc off the f-wheel.

Unstuck and lubed for another 25 years.  It was barely stuck to the f-wheel and i think by clamping the c-pedal to disengage and blasting it twice this past week helped big time.

thanks.

Happy to hear you got it fixed! You probably don't remember, but we met a few years ago at Penfield.

DWF

11 hours ago, DWF said:

/Happy to hear you got it fixed! You probably don't remember, but we met a few years ago at Penfield.

DWF

I think i do.... u asked about ih toolbar stuff i had?  this maybe at the hcea national show where i had the d4 swing crane?

thanks

Yes it was at the HCEA show held at Penfield. I used to live in Mn, now Wi. I had relatives in that area. My uncle now deceased was a member of that club and when he died he left money to the club for a building which they built for housing the featured tractor brand. I have not been to that show since then. Darius Harms, who was one of the head guys of the club, now deceased, was a friend of my uncle. Darius was a great guy with a lot of energy for that club.

DWF