vtfireman85

Beef question

18 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

1500lb at 60% 900lbs meat 450 a half I normally sell for butcher at top of local market plus 5-10 a pound 1.30 a pound plus processing so about 2.50-3 apound

250-300 lbs. 1/2 would be an 850-1,000 animal.  That might be a little light but if it truly is purebred angus and not just an animal with a black hide they call Angus I doubt your getting a 1,500 lb. steer.

8 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

Grass fed? 

3lb coffee can of chop/day and all GOOD quality hay in the winter and plenty of good pasture.

29 minutes ago, MTO said:

3lb coffee can of chop/day and all GOOD quality hay in the winter and plenty of good pasture.

That would explain it I don’t want this to sound wrong but that’s just enough for the animal to survive let alone grow 

5 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

that’s just enough for the animal to survive let alone grow 

Don`t understand your meaning.

Ad i found in your area - "I have a steer for sale, will dress around 800 lbs. $2.50 per lb hanging weight"  = swanson area of vermont - i have no idea what they get for processing out there so have to add that of course

3 hours ago, MTO said:

Just wondering what is in the 3 lb coffee can?   

If he can hang grass fed on it $4.5 /lb could be a deal VF.

I got in a deal were the land owner wanted local no antibiotics,but no burger or roast only steak. He was happy trading it for pasture with a value of $7.5/lb, and it was not grass fed. That goes for $ 10 to $12 /lb. I think grass fed burger is $4.5 /lb at local specialty meat market.

Rusty the give some thought to just how good of friends you are dealing with. Jesse has the rules the way I understand them. If your friends get upset about any part of this deal your behind is hanging out there. Out here to get separation you sell the live animal. They hire/pay the person doing "the harvesting" who delivers it to the possessing facility,which buyer also pays for directly.

Now if you have them help you do the cutting and they are renting your saw and grinder. But that has other legal risks. Nothing simple in the USA anymore.

was always told 60% yield although 62/63 is more like it today and then 60% of dress is take home so 1500x.6=900x.6=540 take home then divided by 2 gives ya 270lbs a half

• Like 2

Mto when I feed beef for grain fed a 1000+ heifer gets a big coffee can plus all the hay they want at the start. After 6 weeks it is up to a 5 gal bucket of mixed grain. Once I have them us to grain I put a ton at a time into a self feeder. Not being in corn country my feed might not be as hot as some but barley and screanings from seed oats and barley is a lot hotter than any hay. All mixed with vitamin / mineral per mix,as I have the feed mill in town grind and mix it all. 

41 minutes ago, ray54 said:

If he can hang grass fed on it $4.5 /lb could be a deal VF.

I got in a deal were the land owner wanted local no antibiotics,but no burger or roast only steak. He was happy trading it for pasture with a value of $7.5/lb, and it was not grass fed. That goes for $ 10 to $12 /lb. I think grass fed burger is $4.5 /lb at local specialty meat market.

Rusty the give some thought to just how good of friends you are dealing with. Jesse has the rules the way I understand them. If your friends get upset about any part of this deal your behind is hanging out there. Out here to get separation you sell the live animal. They hire/pay the person doing "the harvesting" who delivers it to the possessing facility,which buyer also pays for directly.

Now if you have them help you do the cutting and they are renting your saw and grinder. But that has other legal risks. Nothing simple in the USA anymore.

See, this is why I ask here, not a big cow fan unless it’s In the kitchen. 

I’m assuming grass fed would qualify as pastured all summer and fed hay all winter? If so yes. What , other than size is the advantage/disadvantage to grain or corn fed vs grass?

Corn finish animal will have much better marbling and probably be more tender. Not always true, but most of the time. When I was raising Holstein steers, my goal was 1600 pound animal in 22 months. Most of the time I could get them there, seemed like if they where much bigger or smaller they didn’t bring as much. I had one finish over 2000 pounds once, he was a hog and got fat. Couldn’t see the beginning of his tail. Didn’t bring as much as the others. At the end they where eating almost as much cornmeal as they wanted. With a straight Holstein, you would be lucky to dress out at 60% because they are so big boned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Timothy56 said:

Just wondering what is in the 3 lb coffee can?   

Feed store mix

10 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

That would be like you living on bread and water to compare apples to apples 

I think you are reading it wrong.  It was getting all the hay and pasture it needed  plus the 3 lb coffee can of feed store mix ( protein and/or vitamin and mineral )

1 minute ago, Timothy56 said:

I think you are reading it wrong.  It was getting all the hay and pasture it needed  plus the 3 lb coffee can of feed store mix ( protein and/or vitamin and mineral )

I prefer beef myself...

8 minutes ago, Timothy56 said:

6 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I prefer beef myself...

A animal that age to gain at a good rate 3-4 lbs a day should be around 30 lbs of grain a day plus good hay minerals protein mix

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

See, this is why I ask here, not a big cow fan unless it’s In the kitchen. 

I’m assuming grass fed would qualify as pastured all summer and fed hay all winter? If so yes. What , other than size is the advantage/disadvantage to grain or corn fed vs grass?

I’m hoping you’re not saying your wife is a cow!😱

We just butchered one, let me look into it and I’ll post our costs. 

29 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

I would hope that Seth is smarter than that......

3 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Maybe he’s having flashbacks of his time in NY?

5 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

We just butchered one, let me look into it and I’ll post our costs. 

4 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

49 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Maybe he’s having flashbacks of his time in NY?

I meant I like beef not cows. Not had the greatest luck getting along with cows, I find them unpredictable, could be the cows I’ve spent time around too, they weren’t terribly well socialized

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I meant I like beef not cows. Not had the greatest luck getting along with cows, I find them unpredictable, could be the cows I’ve spent time around too, they weren’t terribly well socialized

....some are.......

Mike

IMG_0609.JPG

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Maybe they don’t like you? Cows can be real bullies. If they don’t like you they will show it. My wife has the opposite effect on cows- they accept her as one of them and get up in her space all the time. Follow her around like a puppy and always head butting her to get her to scratch their head😎

Just now, Ihfan4life said:

Maybe they don’t like you? Cows can be real bullies. If they don’t like you they will show it. My wife has the opposite effect on cows- they accept her as one of them and get up in her space all the time. Follow her around like a puppy and always head butting her to get her to scratch their head😎

I suspect the ones I've been around were owned by people who didn't treat them particularly kindly. my friends grandfather always had beefers, they sold them live, and all at once, no one ever seemed to go near them without a big stick( for self defense, not abuse), I wouldnt say they were abused, because they weren't, they were just kept on a farm no one lived at, fed and then left, and they were a little squirrelly. I have another friend who is much more gentle with his, his are milkers, he also has a stick, but it is used for reach, not self defense, he will walk along in a big crowd of them and reach over and tap a misbehaving or wandering one to correct her, they aren't jumpy or creeped out by anything but they only time I am around them is when they are in the barn in stanchions, otherwise I keep my distance. ive been in dairy barns where cows get nervous whenever someone walks in, usually that's a farmer who has a reputation for not being very kind, the ones that get treated gently seem to be totally at ease and just want fed and milked. 

still, when I am around them, im usually not sad to not be, I like horses, im familiar with them and I enjoy the time I spend around them, I can't say the same for cows. but I do like eating beef...so...here we are. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I suspect the ones I've been around were owned by people who didn't treat them particularly kindly. my friends grandfather always had beefers, they sold them live, and all at once, no one ever seemed to go near them without a big stick( for self defense, not abuse), I wouldnt say they were abused, because they weren't, they were just kept on a farm no one lived at, fed and then left, and they were a little squirrelly. I have another friend who is much more gentle with his, his are milkers, he also has a stick, but it is used for reach, not self defense, he will walk along in a big crowd of them and reach over and tap a misbehaving or wandering one to correct her, they aren't jumpy or creeped out by anything but they only time I am around them is when they are in the barn in stanchions, otherwise I keep my distance. ive been in dairy barns where cows get nervous whenever someone walks in, usually that's a farmer who has a reputation for not being very kind, the ones that get treated gently seem to be totally at ease and just want fed and milked. 

still, when I am around them, im usually not sad to not be, I like horses, im familiar with them and I enjoy the time I spend around them, I can't say the same for cows. but I do like eating beef...so...here we are. 

Yup! Creatures of habit! You can tell a lot about a Man by working with his cattle!

We would always have people come into the barn when we were trying to get the cows back in. Sometimes we had to ask them to leave just because the cows wouldn’t take their stalls. The minute they left the barn the cows would come back in and take their stall. Every time!!