vtfireman85

Beef question

I have gotten sick of buying Christmas presents that may or may not get used, this year everyone on my list gets beef. My wife’s family rents their 300+ acre farm in CT out to numerous types of use but for the last 20 years they have had the same guy raising black angus  beef cattle. I have asked him for 1/2 a cow processed before Christmas, he said his average 250-300 lbs/half  ad 4-4.50/lb. I’m sure it’s good cow, but have nothing to compare to. Either way, I asked for it so I am taking this one, how does that price and size sound to you guys who do this?   I want Xmas presents that will be used, and it makes the wife happy to support Kenny and have beef off the farm. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

1500lb at 60% 900lbs meat 450 a half I normally sell for butcher at top of local market plus 5-10 a pound 1.30 a pound plus processing so about 2.50-3 apound

• Like 1

Been a while since we bought ground beef .    I buy from my brother and we trade services, so I maybe shouldn't answer  BUT lol.   Seems like it's about 3.50lb. Getting 60%+- of body weight  

I pay for x amount of cow, then butcher bill on my part. 

Steakes, roast,loin,ribs,ground beef.  For the price of ground beef in store 

He prices by the" months high price " 

• Like 1

sounds a little high priced to me the guys around here get 2.5 to 3.0 / lb

• Like 1

Kinda sounds high to me too, also factor newengland pricing that affects everything from tractors to housing 

• Like 1

Nothing says "I love you " like frozen cow muscles

Chia pets come in second

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Kinda sounds high to me too, also factor newengland pricing that affects everything from tractors to housing 

Ain't that the truth. It's why I left Connecticut as soon as I could. My salary didn't share the same bump add the cost of living.

• Like 1

Are you guys butchering a cow or a 1300-1500 pound grain fed steer. Big difference.

We sell a couple of 16-20 month old steers ( late calves) every year in late April  at 1400-1500 pounds. They are fed barley,oats and corn silage from early November to late April. The ones for this year will be priced at $2 a pound on the rail they pay the processing

Processing is 75 cents lb plus $100 for slaughtering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

he said his average 250-300 lbs/half

Maybe he's not backgrounding those black calves and they're finishing at 1000 - 1100 lb., and/or maybe his genetics and/or finishing program aren't the best and he's not getting 60% dressing percentage.  Wouldn't be that uncommon to have a 300 lb. dressed half.

• Like 1

I’m not sure what his situation is as far as breeding program, and I’m not educated enough to ask the right questions I guess. I’ve committed to this one, so I’ll go forth. Interesting to hear the prices, I gotta ask around some here to see if that’s common for new England or if that’s just plain steep. 

• Like 1

I personally don’t think it’s to bad. Are you getting a true half? All the cuts for that price and vacuum sealed? If that’s the case then it’s probably about right for that area. Remember he lives in Connecticut and is probably used to marketing his beef to people there which I’m sure they are paying more there then the Midwest for sure. When I was raising steers, I split one of my owe with a freind. This was a Holstein steer and my half was in the 425 weight range. They where finished on corn silage, baleage and cornmeal for 7 months and was 1600 on the hoof. If I remember right the butcher and packaging was in the $2 a pound ish. Probably about right for where your buying. We unfortunately don’t have as cheap processing as they do. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

I personally don’t think it’s to bad. Are you getting a true half? All the cuts for that price and vacuum sealed? If that’s the case then it’s probably about right for that area. Remember he lives in Connecticut and is probably used to marketing his beef to people there which I’m sure they are paying more there then the Midwest for sure. When I was raising steers, I split one of my owe with a freind. This was a Holstein steer and my half was in the 425 weight range. They where finished on corn silage, baleage and cornmeal for 7 months and was 1600 on the hoof. If I remember right the butcher and packaging was in the $2 a pound ish. Probably about right for where your buying. We unfortunately don’t have as cheap processing as they do. 

That is about what he said, 2/lb for processing, he gets the same, his processor works full time as a butcher for a local supermarket and has a shop set up at home. It'll all be packaged   When I pick it up, I’m not sure how itl be. I like the guy and the wife feels good about it which is a big plus, if she doesn’t like an idea (like the pigs I’ve bought) she doesn’t eat it. 🤬🤬🤬

• Like 1

I just processed my jersy, wasnt bad but going to buy a meat band saw for next one

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I just processed my jersy, wasnt bad but going to buy a meat band saw for next one

They do gum up a sawzall

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

he said his average 250-300 lbs/half

That`s just a calf!

My last steer made #250 quarters!

• Like 1

last one we had butchered was about 1600 pounds,   cost about 800 dollars for processing, getting harder to find someone. a few Mennonites are opening up places.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTO said:

That`s just a calf!

My last steer made #250 quarters!

Maybe itl be tender? I just gotta keep certain people away from it 🙄

• Like 1

Look up the bearded butcher on YouTube, I watch an hour video wich showed step by step prossecing a half, other than the fact I didnt have a band saw I was able to duplicate everything he did in a day, so if it cost 400 to 800 bucks to presses it, maybe buy a 350 dollar bandsaw/grinder,  buy som nice knifes and a cutting table and after the first steer it will pay for itself, that's what I'm doing, then I cam butcher several a year and sell the extra so I get free beef, also find a guy to show ya thr ropes, I have an uncle that's good at it, it feels good to fill the fridge from your own work for cheap, it's the way men feed there families all throughout history, 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

...... then I cam butcher several a year and sell the extra so I get free beef, ......

Might check local and federal regulations on selling beef you've butchered yourself.

I know for a fact that anything we sell has to be killed and processed at a USDA inspected facility. The slaughter house we take our animals to has a meat inspector on hand on their two kill days per week. The locker plant we use is also inspected regularly and all the packages are marked with a stamp that shows the facility and date it was processed and packaged.

If we are keeping the beef for our own use then all rules are essentially off the table.

Jesse

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jesse in WI said:

Might check local and federal regulations on selling beef you've butchered yourself.

I know for a fact that anything we sell has to be killed and processed at a USDA inspected facility. The slaughter house we take our animals to has a meat inspector on hand on their two kill days per week. The locker plant we use is also inspected regularly and all the packages are marked with a stamp that shows the facility and date it was processed and packaged.

If we are keeping the beef for our own use then all rules are essentially off the table.

Jesse

I have enough buddies at work and family members that would buy I'm not doing it as a buisness, dont care about that stuff, no different than cutting up deer and splitting it up, 

14 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

You would be hard pressed to find something cheaper, plus, you know where it’s coming from and you will be complimented on the quality of meat, especially if the people who are receiving this has only purchased meat from a grocery store!

I got some still on the hoof if you want to go that route! 

What do you think?

1500 lbs.. live weight      60% dressed or on the rail  would be 900 lbs.

Take home would be 75% of the rail or 675 lbs  or 337.5 lbs  for a half. 

$4.00  lb x  675 lbs  = $2700  or $1350 half  

Close or not?

That’s about what I’m figuring 

23 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

How old was it?

22 month holstein/black angus

• Like 1