Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sandhiller

New Zealand volcano

Recommended Posts

Wee hours this morning heard a story on HLN. A volcano on one of New Zealand's islands was a popular stop for cruise ships for people to get off and hiketo the rim. Only this time it erupted killing some, trapping some, some were Americans. Haven't heard anything since. 

Mike? Hope your not affected. Know any more?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Wee hours this morning heard a story on HLN. A volcano on one of New Zealand's islands was a popular stop for cruise ships for people to get off and hiketo the rim. Only this time it erupted killing some, trapping some, some were Americans. Haven't heard anything since. 

Mike? Hope your not affected. Know any more?

 

Now the authorities are opening a criminal investigation into the people that took them to that volcano. 13(?) people killed or missing? Horrible way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dangerous to visit an active volcano no doubt.  However the peeps that take these trips know the risk (pro tip; "Active Volcano")

Regardless of their understanding of the danger I feel badly for the loss of the lives and long lasting debilitating health problems of the survivors and the impact of each on their families.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My sympathies go the the poor souls who have to go into harms way to RESCUE the thrill seekers.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

......very sad......not a good look for NZ, either......however.  tourists have been taken out to White Island for years.....   ...Yes, as said above , six people  dead...but 13 still on the island...presumed dead.......Helicopters not allowed  out there due to volcano  about to let go again.......according to the volcano "experts "

.....The survivors are in a dreadful state,....all in the "burns  " unit of various hospitals....very hard to ID these luckless folk....due to burnt lungs  etc...evidently they are unable to talk.....as well as horrendous external  burns.......I heard on the National news today...that  some "skin "    substitute   stuff is coming from the US and Australia....as this amount of folk is quite unprecedented...in respect of the burns unit capacity

..no Sandhiller...this happened off the coast in the North Island...I am still  in the  Hyundai  , at the Rainbow  Station.....where the air is almost clear of Australian bush fire smoke....and the volcano smoke didn't  drift south....

.....there was a young American couple...they were rescued ......but suffering   from burns of course....The young lady's  mother, back in the US,   was "livid "   that no warning was given re the imminent "blow " from the volcano.......I certainly don't blame her...for speaking out........however, I guess the poor folk that got caught in the St Helens  explosion  had  no warning, either.............

Mike

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the update Mike. Tragic for sure. Glad you were not in it's reach. Take care of yourself over there and will put those affected in our prayers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another report claims scientist had noticed  a recient rise in seismic activity and had predicted an eruption. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mike_newman said:

I guess the poor folk that got caught in the St Helens  explosion  had  no warning, either.............

Mike, I think they did but ignored pleas to leave the area. It was a massive, explosive eruption.

I've been within feet of molten lava on Hawaii's Kilauea but that volcano tends to simply spew magma. It was back in the '70s. I had toured the area and driven back to my hotel in Hilo.  It came on the radio that Kilauea, having been quiet for years, had suddenly and unexpectedly erupted. I grabbed some fresh film and drove back up that night to witness a spectacular fountain in the caldera. I stayed there on the rim with a couple dozen others until the cold drove us off. I went back the next morning very early and the eruption had died down to a big pond of lava that was intermittently blasting some into the air. We were able to walk down the same road I'd driven over the day before - now covered in some places with fresh flows. About 40 of us along with 2 female rangers got so close that we had to occasionally run when the wind shifted and the molten lava, blown in the air with huge gas bubbles would turn to hot rock and rain down in our direction. The heat was such that we had to turn like a rotisserie, like being at an oversize campfire X a zillion. Ranger's radios informed them that the seismographs were indicating we should leave. A fresh crack in the road left no doubt. I had a picture, now long lost, of my foot on a fresh lava toe which cracked open revealing hot red lava inside. Yes, it was hot through a leather sole.

Eruption died, and it was just a one-day affair that I was incredibly fortunate to attend. 

Kilauea has been erupting now for years. I was fortunate to circle over it several times in the '90s when the chairman of the company I flew for requested it. Wonderful fun in a jet circling at about 1000' talking with the helicopter guys down low. Got to see a huge lava lake burst its dam and cascade down the mountain.

I am saddened by the tragic loss in NZ. Experiencing the one day eruption in Hawaii that caught everyone by surprise I can understand how they may have been complacent and got caught. Terrible tragedy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several years ago I was part of an expedition off  the west coast of Costa Rica diving with the population of Bull sharks that inhabit those waters . 

I was in the northern Guanacaste area north of Liberia .

I crossed into Nicaragua and drove up to Managua to see the Masaya Volcano. 

That perticular sight alows  you to drive right up to the edge of the rim of what is referred to as a Caldera I believe. I literally stood right on the edge and was able to look right into it. I remember the smell of sulfur was unbearable. There was an abandoned  tour bus in the parking lot that was completely burned up, just a rusty shell sitting on its frame rails completely burned front to back.  There were also large holes in the parking lot that we later found out were caused from Masaya spitting out an occasional glob of lava into the air randomly landing in the parking lot melting right through the pavement.  I was told that’s why the bus was burnt up . I commented at the time that if this sight was in the USA  OSHA would have a ten foot high fence around it and you wouldn’t be able to get within 1500 feet of it . 

I’m betting it hasen’t changed a bit and that bus might even still be there . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another dormant Caldera I visited on Easter island called  Rano Kau  . Considered dormant and you can hike right into it . 

9606710F-8714-44D3-89D7-0FA8010EFB03.thumb.jpeg.73563e7ebb4c3edf47368b25b22b879a.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mike_newman said:

.however, I guess the poor folk that got caught in the St Helens  explosion  had  no warning, either.............

Mike

Actually they evacuated most of the folks before hand because they were certain that it was going to blow. Couple of locals who refused to leave and some others who were there to watch the eruption. They claim that one of the volcanologist "who was in a supposedly safe spot" named Johnston urged officials to close the area down keeping the death toll down to just 58 people. Johnston was about 5 miles from St Helen's and was in the direct path of the blast when the side of the mountain blew out. His body was never recovered. OK the volcanologists knew of and accepted the dangers. The others were all warned. So yes, they had warnings.

 

Rick

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Dangerous to visit an active volcano no doubt.  However the peeps that take these trips know the risk (pro tip; "Active Volcano")

Regardless of their understanding of the danger I feel badly for the loss of the lives and long lasting debilitating health problems of the survivors and the impact of each on their families.  

The loss of life is indeed tragic.

However, if these people had been previously informed of the dangers AND willingly went anyhow into the danger, then it is hard for me to feel tremendous amounts of sympathy for taking an action that I would deem to be riskier than necessary.

Again, I do feel that the loss of life is tragic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Another dormant Caldera I visited on Easter island called  Rano Kau  . Considered dormant and you can hike right into it . 

9606710F-8714-44D3-89D7-0FA8010EFB03.thumb.jpeg.73563e7ebb4c3edf47368b25b22b879a.jpeg

Been there but wasn't about to hike it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've flown into the St. Helens crater in a helicopter. It's quite impressive to see the bones of the dead trees that show the blast direction/pattern. The trees on private land were salvaged while those on public land are there still.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

....two more folk died last night.........the burns were horrendous.......several with 80% burns ......reading  the chaos  that prevailed in the small, local hospital was terribly sad.......

......fortunately....New Zealand's helicopter population is very high...thus  the victims were transported to major hospitals very quickly

.....heartbreaking  for relatives etc.......what with the time difference and in some case the language difficulty..........

.Mike

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Dangerous to visit an active volcano no doubt.  However the peeps that take these trips know the risk (pro tip; "Active Volcano")

Regardless of their understanding of the danger I feel badly for the loss of the lives and long lasting debilitating health problems of the survivors and the impact of each on their families.  

Mt Lassen in Ca is an active volcano,  has an elevated wooden walkway  that takes the on-lookers across a smoldering pit of boiling sulfur lava.  Have been there many times, always wondered when she will blow again!

Was at Mt St Helens  in 82, many acres of spruce blown over about 8' from the ground.  Houses with ash covered up to the peak of the roof.  A mountain top lake totally gone.  They had adequate warning she was going to blow, those who didn't seriously take the warnings DIED.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Dangerous to visit an active volcano no doubt.  However the peeps that take these trips know the risk (pro tip; "Active Volcano")

Regardless of their understanding of the danger I feel badly for the loss of the lives and long lasting debilitating health problems of the survivors and the impact of each on their families.  

The way the news made it sound was this wasn’t an active volcano and had absolutely no signs of becoming active. It just erupted.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

The way the news made it sound was this wasn’t an active volcano and had absolutely no signs of becoming active. It just erupted.

Kilauea was like that in the '70s when I had my serendipitous experience. It was, however considered an active volcano as was the killer in NZ. Unless long dormant they are subject to awake when mother nature feels the urge.

The Pacific rim is dotted with them from California all around. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Luckiest man alive filmed volcano exploding and plume threatening his boat as it sped away from the island"

https://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2019/12/luckiest-man-alive-filmed-volcano-exploding-and-plume-threatening-his-boat-as-it-sped-away-from-the-.html

"Video of White Island volcano 4 days before eruption - spewing geysers of mud and rocks"

https://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2019/12/video-of-white-island-volcano-4-days-before-eruption-spewing-geysers-of-mud-and-rocks.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2019 at 12:47 AM, mike_newman said:

......very sad......not a good look for NZ, either......however.  tourists have been taken out to White Island for years.....   ...Yes, as said above , six people  dead...but 13 still on the island...presumed dead.......Helicopters not allowed  out there due to volcano  about to let go again.......according to the volcano "experts "

.....The survivors are in a dreadful state,....all in the "burns  " unit of various hospitals....very hard to ID these luckless folk....due to burnt lungs  etc...evidently they are unable to talk.....as well as horrendous external  burns.......I heard on the National news today...that  some "skin "    substitute   stuff is coming from the US and Australia....as this amount of folk is quite unprecedented...in respect of the burns unit capacity

..no Sandhiller...this happened off the coast in the North Island...I am still  in the  Hyundai  , at the Rainbow  Station.....where the air is almost clear of Australian bush fire smoke....and the volcano smoke didn't  drift south....

.....there was a young American couple...they were rescued ......but suffering   from burns of course....The young lady's  mother, back in the US,   was "livid "   that no warning was given re the imminent "blow " from the volcano.......I certainly don't blame her...for speaking out........however, I guess the poor folk that got caught in the St Helens  explosion  had  no warning, either.............

Mike

I remember the day Saint Helens erupted well,  A Sunday morning I was still in bed. I'm due north about 175-200 miles from the Mountain. I heard the booms. I thought the near by Naval base blew up. Not until about noon did I know what happened when a friend mentioned the mountain then I had the ah ha moment .   Did I or others know the exact moment it was going blow? No, however there was plenty of evidence it was going to blow with nightly news showing the bulge pushing up.  My guess is most people that went in the area didn't expect to have heated gas headed their way at 600+ mph. The winds snapped of trees which had 2.5-3.0' diameter like match sticks. The trees were all laying towards the north as I remember from my 1994 trip when I went down there to the observation area then flew in helicopter inside the 5 mile wide crater and around the area it was truly amazing to see the raw fury of mother nature.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.......tomorrow , early a.m.   (NZ time )......the guys are going in to fetch out the deceased....this after the inevitable   "red tape " etc  Poisonous  gas is a big worry evidently.......  meanwhile some Australians......badly burnt , have been flown back to Aussie.......with specially prepared  medical facility on board.....

....and

,..if New Englander   and   Rick happen to peruse  this......I stand corrected re my erroneous   assumption re St Helens   eruption...and warnings etc......

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mike_newman said:

if New Englander   and   Rick happen to peruse  this......I stand corrected re my erroneous

No worries Mike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian, the video must have been taken down already.  Risks and warnings aside, what a terrible tragedy.  Burns are awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mike_newman said:

.......tomorrow , early a.m.   (NZ time )......the guys are going in to fetch out the deceased....this after the inevitable   "red tape " etc  Poisonous  gas is a big worry evidently.......  meanwhile some Australians......badly burnt , have been flown back to Aussie.......with specially prepared  medical facility on board.....

....and

,..if New Englander   and   Rick happen to peruse  this......I stand corrected re my erroneous   assumption re St Helens   eruption...and warnings etc......

Mike

No big deal....

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...