Sign in to follow this  
Matt Kirsch

Tractor prices in the Northeast: Auction results

Attended an estate auction a few miles south of Canandaigua NY on Saturday. The tractors were used but not abused. Everything started ran and drove.

This is how crazy we are here in the Northeast...

image.png.5fb00fd053937e8c8395a2a33fc835d5.png

1256, 8xxx hours, new inner rears, duals, 4 weights, brought $14000

image.png.811b7333e0b8810389753e40feabaf3f.png

756 diesel, the older of two (10xxx serial), $6900

image.png.76b8931f6717b5cf7f5442e20a13add5.png

756 diesel, the newer of the two (15xxx serial), fast hitch, had a skip when running for bidding, $5200

Cub serial 782 $1000

Super C 17xxxx serial with fast hitch $1700

H 99xxx serial $1300

300 with stout fabricated wide front $1700

424 Utility $2800

• Like 1

I was there  pretty straight looking tractors I thought too. Definitely no steals to be had on them. I did buy the sprayer and some small miscellaneous stuff 

very normal pricing for good stuff

11 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Thanks Matt for sharing.  And this is why I don’t have my 1256 yet.  Someday....

If the paint is original,they are very nice for the age.1256 is very reasonable,seen one last year faded ,no duals ,used harder 16,500.756's all nice thought 7 wasn't bad and 5200 cheap.I like to have one but narrow front would be my choice.756's don't come along everday either at least compared to 656 and 856.

Prices look pretty much in line to average

I'd call those 756's just right to a little cheap. You just don't see nice straight ones not all beat to chit.

You guys keep saying how those 756's went cheap. Consider that they have German D310 engines. One had a very noticeable miss when they started it at sale time. That one is likely a boat anchor because you can't get injector pump parts. Someone paid $5200 for a boat anchor.

Guy I know has been struggling with a D310 in a 756 for a couple years. He's spent a fortune on used injector pumps and even an entire replacement engine. Can't get a good pump and nobody can fix the ones he has. Right now it's tore apart in his shop, getting a 12-valve 5.9L Cummins installed....

It just amazes me how you can't get parts, even for 66 and 86 series, yet the prices keep going up-up-up. Of course if I wanted to sell mine, it would be worthless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

You guys keep saying how those 756's went cheap. Consider that they have German D310 engines. One had a very noticeable miss when they started it at sale time. That one is likely a boat anchor because you can't get injector pump parts. Someone paid $5200 for a boat anchor.

Guy I know has been struggling with a D310 in a 756 for a couple years. He's spent a fortune on used injector pumps and even an entire replacement engine. Can't get a good pump and nobody can fix the ones he has. Right now it's tore apart in his shop, getting a 12-valve 5.9L Cummins installed....

It just amazes me how you can't get parts, even for 66 and 86 series, yet the prices keep going up-up-up. Of course if I wanted to sell mine, it would be worthless.

You can buy a reman injector pump for that pig. Be cheaper than a 5.9 conversion. Probably last 8-10k hours. Why didnt he buy one guaranteed instead of wasting money on used junk. 

10 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

You can buy a reman injector pump for that pig. Be cheaper than a 5.9 conversion. Probably last 8-10k hours. Why didnt he buy one guaranteed instead of wasting money on used junk. 

He could not find one. Nobody that advertised a reman pump had one in stock, and could not tell him when they would have one.

Just now, Matt Kirsch said:

He could not find one. Nobody that advertised a reman pump had one in stock, and could not tell him when they would have one.

I see. I see them advertised several places but never called on one. 

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

How do you know the miss is an injector pump, and I don't believe the Bosch pump on the 756 is the issue, the Bosch that causes issues is on the 826, the fuel guys on here can correct me if I am wrong.  Also, the parts issue with the pump is grave when they won't run as those parts are harder to find.  Either way, I do believe kits are out there to put roosa's on them.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TP from Central PA said:

How do you know the miss is an injector pump, and I don't believe the Bosch pump on the 756 is the issue, the Bosch that causes issues is on the 826, the fuel guys on here can correct me if I am wrong.  Also, the parts issue with the pump is grave when they won't run as those parts are harder to find.  Either way, I do believe kits are out there to put roosa's on them.  

Fair question, but how do you know it ISN'T? $5200 is a lot to pay to take a chance.

Forgot to mention the $6900 tractor was extremely hard to start. Several people cranked on it for long periods of time with no luck. Not sure if any of them knew about the overfuel position on the stop cable. So in reality, another potential boat anchor.

2 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Fair question, but how do you know it ISN'T? $5200 is a lot to pay to take a chance.

Forgot to mention the $6900 tractor was extremely hard to start. Several people cranked on it for long periods of time with no luck. Not sure if any of them knew about the overfuel position on the stop cable. So in reality, another potential boat anchor.

I would say its an injector...............I could do alot to a $5200 tractor for the cost of at new one at that same weight and hp.  

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 7:44 AM, Matt Kirsch said:

Attended an estate auction a few miles south of Canandaigua NY on Saturday. The tractors were used but not abused. Everything started ran and drove.

This is how crazy we are here in the Northeast...

image.png.5fb00fd053937e8c8395a2a33fc835d5.png

image.png.811b7333e0b8810389753e40feabaf3f.png

756 diesel, the older of two (10xxx serial), $6900

image.png.76b8931f6717b5cf7f5442e20a13add5.png

756 diesel, the newer of the two (15xxx serial), fast hitch, had a skip when running for bidding, $5200

Cub serial 782 $1000

Super C 17xxxx serial with fast hitch $1700

H 99xxx serial $1300

300 with stout fabricated wide front $1700

424 Utility $2800

Not up on the prices, but they are nice looking tractors for their age!  What kind of shape was the 782 in?  That’s a bit pricey for it depending on condition and options/attachments. Know if it was IH built?

I know on the D358 there is a way to retrofit a Bosch rotary off of a 5.9 Cummins. Maybe this is a option on the 310s too? We have a 786 with the 358 so i kinda keep a eye on stuff like this in case the pump ever takes a crap.

We sold our super clean, basically one owner, 8k hr 826 when my pump guy told me he couldn't get good pump parts for it and the bandaide $1500 job that he did for me might not last 1000 hr.  I wish we had kept it. 

2 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Not up on the prices, but they are nice looking tractors for their age!  What kind of shape was the 782 in?  That’s a bit pricey for it depending on condition and options/attachments. Know if it was IH built?

I think that was a Farmall Cub, serial#782. Not a 782 tractor. I was thinking cub cadet 782 at first, but read it again.

• Sad 1

Pump guys i talked to said as long as it will still start its most likely a repairable pump. Sent the one of my 826 in to be resealed. Starts good and runs ok. Im more worried about only being able to get oh kits from reliance than i am about pump. I would set the timing and make sure everything is up to snuff and have pump and injectors serviced sooner than later. Germans will run a long time if kept up i believe. I wouldnt give up on em yet but i do agree cautious about how much you purchase one for. Might come a day when they truly are boat anchors but im not sure we are there yet....

• Like 1

Why doesn't someone with the know how make a conversion yet for the pumps? I've heard guys here say before they made a roosamaster comversion but I've never actually seen one or had that confirmed. Anyone have one? Mine seeps a little when it's super cold but quits when the temp warms up. Starts awesome in cold weather and burns super clean. I cant say one word about it because I bought my original 756 in nice condition all together and probably over paid only to have to overhaul it the following winter. Needless to say I've got over what it's probably worth now but boy do I like the tractor. I still dont have as much as the 1256 brought though. Win some you lose some. I bought the 756 specifically for the German diesel. Pump be damned. I wanted one i got it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

It was a Farmall Cub, serial number 782, making it a VERY early 1947 model, the 282nd one built.

• Like 1

That tractor would part out for more than $5200.00. That was a good buy.

• Like 2