Sign in to follow this  
FarmerFixEmUp

Cleaning Up Part of the Fleet Before the Cold

Next week is supposed to be below zero here toward mid week so I thought I better get the combine and 2 tractors cleaned up and put away.Pretty decent here today, about 40 degrees.  I borrowed a neighbor's industrial air compressor to blow all the stalks and dust off under the cab of the tractors and combine., Man that thing works great. I think I spent maybe an hour on the combine and corn head compared to maybe 2 to 3 hours with a standard air compressor. Only bad thing is when I wanted to shut off the air I had to go back to the compressor to do it since there's no valve on the outlet end of the hose. 

He sent me a picture of a blow gun a friend of his made and he wants me to build him one. 

KIMG0584.thumb.JPG.1674105dd0051414aed11169fff773da.JPGKIMG0586.thumb.JPG.e68696851e3f45a34f296cbfc75299b9.JPGKIMG0585.thumb.JPG.481d0a499e992ed2af4e89dfb663b049.JPGKIMG0591.thumb.JPG.14b0ee011c0259e37b0d9e442f1269aa.JPGKIMG0590.thumb.JPG.3af9cc69f3a4b614e236b8081421c83e.JPGResized_image000000001.jpeg.618a9e666239aad8de6de1acbfea39c4.jpeg

• Like 1

That’s what I use basically a 1” hose of compressor in the shop neck down to about 1/4id with a ball valve to shut off works great

Chicago fittings are all over at work. Wands like that are heavy but work very well. 

That amount of air probably worked really good.  I got all my junk washed up and put away 2 weeks back.  Had to get the moths balls in the cabs with the cold and the rodents looking for winter homes.

I see you have a "New Holland" Combine, Is your corn head a 962N6?

We have a 962N6 corn head with an adapter mounted on our 1660,  I haven't purchased many parts for it,  I went to the dealer last week to get 2 gathering chains and 4 stripper bars and found the parts were twice what they should have been, 1 chain $145.00,  he didn't have the stripper bars,  He said that head was out of date.

I did get parts from "Messicks",  still didn't like the prices,

Obviously won't be much trade in value on this head,   I should invest in a 6 row 1063.

Jim Droscha

1 hour ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Next week

Where in NW Iowa?

best, randy (former Lake Park kid)

2 hours ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

I see you have a "New Holland" Combine, Is your corn head a 962N6?

We have a 962N6 corn head with an adapter mounted on our 1660,  I haven't purchased many parts for it,  I went to the dealer last week to get 2 gathering chains and 4 stripper bars and found the parts were twice what they should have been, 1 chain $145.00,  he didn't have the stripper bars,  He said that head was out of date.

I did get parts from "Messicks",  still didn't like the prices,

Obviously won't be much trade in value on this head,   I should invest in a 6 row 1063.

Jim Droscha

No this is a 974. I had a 962 on a TR70  years ago. They were originally driven off the top side of the head then converted to bottom drive fot TR75/85 and later.  The stripper bars on the 962 are plates bolted to a square shaft. I may have some here yet. 

2 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

Where in NW Iowa?

best, randy (former Lake Park kid)

Northern Sioux County near Hull/ Doon area.

31 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Northern Sioux County near Hull/ Doon area.

We bought a #62 (??????)  combine at Hull once.

best, randy

How did u convert that 962 head to a bottom drive. I used a PTO shaft on that 960 nh head and haven’t been real happy with it

New Holland used to have a kit to do it. I don't know if they still do or not. 

I found your earlier post on the 960 with my pictures. You may just have to build something.