Tunneldigger

1486 transmission

My 14 has a bad transmission. Really loud and acts like it in park while driving. Is it practical to get a whole transmission from a scrap yard? Anything to look out for on that? The engine is weak as well. I was thinking of getting a combine engine to put in it. I don't think the tractor is worth it but it has no value the way it is.  This is the first " big" tractor I owned and I really do like it.

If your patient and search I think you could buy a parts tractor with a good engine and transmission cheaper than you could get a whole transmission out of a scrap yard. I believe the 14's had problems with the rear end when people turned up the fuel. 

May want to put a wanted ad on the pulloff.com website for the transmission parts that you think you need.  Probably a lot of stock gear sets laying around and every so often I see ring and pinions for sale there.

7 hours ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

May want to put a wanted ad on the pulloff.com website for the transmission parts that you think you need.  Probably a lot of stock gear sets laying around and every so often I see ring and pinions for sale there.

X2. I’d tear it down and see what’s broke, and go from there.  

• Like 1

There isn't a whole lot left after replacing the transmission and engine... Seems like another tractor would be in order.

It's a problem with 14's and to a slightly lesser extent, the 10's as well. They're getting way long in the tooth, most of them have had the pumps turned way up over 165HP and had the snot worked out of them. Not many good ones left. Most are ticking time bombs. We tend to think of them as modern tractors but on average an 86 series is 40 years old...

• Like 2

If you like the tractor and are handy it's probably worth rebuilding the engine, and transmission.  It's not like you can buy a new 145hp tractor that weighs what a 1486 does for reasonable money.  This only applies if you like it and want to keep it and the rest of the tractor is in good shape.  If the doors are gone, and it's all beat up you'd be better off parting it out and buying a nicer unit. 

But if you plan to sell it you can't justify putting much money in it fixing it as you'll never recover the cost. 

• Like 2

Check park linkage I would guess it's not disengaging the park paw enough seen that happen many times on these old ih tractors people slam into park while still rolling a bit it bends linkage enough it won't disengage all the way and makes growling sounds in transmission.

I agree on checking it out more before you get too excited. The park could easy be dragging like stated which will make a big racket for sure. All parts are available at the bone yards and combine engines are fairly easy to find. If you like the 1486 then fix it. Buy another one and you may get the same thing. I completely disagree on the bad reputation these tractors supposedly have. They are a really good outfit and if cared for will run along time. The people who constantly bash these things don't like cold ice cream and more than half have never owned one or even driven one. We have one with over 15,000 hours and have never touched the rear end. It is far from stock as well. Care for it, drive it with a brain in your head and it will treat you fine. Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

I agree on checking it out more before you get too excited. The park could easy be dragging like stated which will make a big racket for sure. All parts are available at the bone yards and combine engines are fairly easy to find. If you like the 1486 then fix it. Buy another one and you may get the same thing. I completely disagree on the bad reputation these tractors supposedly have. They are a really good outfit and if cared for will run along time. The people who constantly bash these things don't like cold ice cream and more than half have never owned one or even driven one. We have one with over 15,000 hours and have never touched the rear end. It is far from stock as well. Care for it, drive it with a brain in your head and it will treat you fine. Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck.

I agree 110%. These 66&86 series tractors are very good tractors if treated and used for the horsepower they were built for. If you need parts, Saginaw county tractor parts would probably have every thing you need. Good luck

Make sure park pawl is pulling up all the way . 886 did that and it was just park pawl not pulling out of gear fully .

On 12/7/2019 at 9:14 AM, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Yeah, if. That's a BIG if. Many of them have been cranked up and had their guts pulled out. You never know what you're going to get and as I keep saying, it's not 1985 anymore. Even the creampuffs are long in the tooth.