3488 hydro pto work

I asked this on Facebook but haven’t had much response.  What’s the weak link on the hydro for pushing it on the pto?  Will the input shaft let go?  Looking at a 13”x104’ auger.  Says it requires 150-165hp.  Will that tractor handle that reliably?  

neighbour runs a 3288 on a 10x60 and auguring into a 4500 hopper the auger is standing on it tippy toes to get, usually the tractor dies first,

I would want more power in front than a 3488 especially if grain happens to be alittle tough, I would think it would just burn the pto clutches out as well that's a lot of grain moving through a 13" auger

Good Question,  The Plate bolted to the flywheel, (No clutch cover) Drives the "PTO",  Those splines wear, get thin and will Fail.

Has this plate been replaced?

We used our 1026 on a 3 row head & 7 foot hay pickup head attached to a 1060 Gehl Chopper , An Excellent combination,  The very next day after chopping Haylage, 

the 1026 was hitched to the Gehl 1460 round Baler, we baled for 30 minutes,  on a field with many hills, every thing seemed normal,  We climbed a steep hill while the baler was running,    come down the other side, pulled the Hydro lever to slow our speed down and away we went!!!...….  down the hill, ….No Brakes,.. No Steering.. Because the baler stopped running the windrow of hay we were straddling,  Bunched up under the baler and slowed us to a stop.

The 1026 Engine was still at PTO speed,  But that was the only thing acting normal,  That Plate on the Flywheel Stripped the splines.

A Person can't see the splines to determine the wear,  Try it.

Our 3488, 466 without a turbo, has been on a "Dyno",  Engine smokes a little after replacing the Injection pump a few years ago, a 115 horsepower was all it could muster,          Our 3488 is used for Planting , Cultivating, HydroSwing MacDon 14 foot hay machine, and round baling.

Our 886 Open station German Diesel,  does these tasks just as easy, on less fuel,   But the 3488 has Air Conditioning, and Quieter inside the cab!!

Jim Droscha

6 hours ago, wheatking said:

neighbour runs a 3288 on a 10x60 and auguring into a 4500 hopper the auger is standing on it tippy toes to get, usually the tractor dies first,

I would want more power in front than a 3488 especially if grain happens to be alittle tough, I would think it would just burn the pto clutches out as well that's a lot of grain moving through a 13" auger

Got a 13 by 81 806 doesn’t know it’s there 3488 will pull it just fine😏

Seems to me you wouldn’t need to run the auger as full as possible.  Just open the trap on your hopper bottom until the tractor has a nice load on it and keep it there.  Keep in mind until the auger is full it will take more and more power so don’t overdo it. If you strip out those splines they needed replacement soon anyway