pt756

hot water heater question

was looking at hot water heaters power vent, about a 300 dollar difference in prices, local guy wants about 12 hundred, said they cant compete with the fleet farms of the world, he said they are all built by one company now, wonder if that is true?

i gave up on hot water heaters since 06, have a cook it on the fly type now - electric, will never go back - paid 550 bucks for it in 06, all i have done is take it apart and soak elements in vinegar and shake out once - stiebel eltron - german unit is what i have, i have two, one in house one in my barn/apartment area - highly recommend running a softener and whole house filter with them if you have a lot of minerals in your water. Just helped my daughter buy a 40gal electric, 319 bucks for a rheem at Home Depot - 50 gal were 369 - i thing the propane/natural gassers were a bit more like maybe 75 bucks 

Why do people call them hot water heaters????

If the water was already hot you would not need to heat it????

Why not just call them water heaters.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

Pretty sure that there are several different manufacturers. 

I think your right.  Not many but there are a few

• Like 1

Last I heard there were three manufacturers of tank type heaters. Not sure about on demand ones. 

I found 4 manufacturers of tank water heaters:

• A.O. Smith. A.O. ...
  • GE. General Electric makes gas and electric water heaters. ...
  • Kenmore. Kenmore makes gas and electric water heaters. ...
  • Rheem. Rheem manufactures and markets gas and electric water heaters. ...
  • Whirlpool. Whirlpool manufactures and markets gas and electric water heaters.

Our local rural electric has a rebate program for the Rheem Marathon Hi-efficiency electric.

Comes out pretty close to free, if I remember correctly.

Mike 

I bought an electric water heater with the plastic tank.  Its not supposed to rust out.  Thx-Ace

12 hours ago, RKO said:

Why do people call them hot water heaters????

If the water was already hot you would not need to heat it????

Why not just call them water heaters.

Definitely maybe a clearly confused oxymoron...

11 hours ago, mikem said:

Our local rural electric has a rebate program for the Rheem Marathon Hi-efficiency electric.

Comes out pretty close to free, if I remember correctly.

Mike 

Yep I bought one from my Rural Electric company a few years back it is a Marathon and after the rebates it cost very little . Lifetime warranty too .

12 hours ago, bigequip said:

I found 4 manufacturers of tank water heaters:

• A.O. Smith. A.O. ...
  • GE. General Electric makes gas and electric water heaters. ...
  • Kenmore. Kenmore makes gas and electric water heaters. ...
  • Rheem. Rheem manufactures and markets gas and electric water heaters. ...
  • Whirlpool. Whirlpool manufactures and markets gas and electric water heaters.

I don't think this is accurate. I think whatever website this came from is interchanging "manufacturer" with brand.

My Whirlpool (approx 4 years old) is made by American Water Heater Company, of Tennessee

I agree. As far as I know, AOSmith and Rheem are the only manufacturers on that list. There are several others. 

If your getting a tank type water heater than spend the extra money and get one with a stainless tank.

I have an on demand propane water heater at my camp and I am not impressed.

I would rather have big tank of heated water ready for me on my demand for a nice shower.

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

I don't think this is accurate. I think whatever website this came from is interchanging "manufacturer" with brand.

My Whirlpool (approx 4 years old) is made by American Water Heater Company, of Tennessee

You are right on that 

GE, Kenmore, whirlpool are the basic same company. Kenmore has not built any of their own stuff for years.  Its all built by Someone else annd rebadged. 

2 hours ago, MTO said:

Must be something 😕

10 hours ago, MTO said:

must be the same thing with "unthawing"   doesnt that mean to freeze?

• Like 1

Mine is gas and works when the power goes out.  I can take a hot shower, have hot water etc with the lights go out.  Just did it Sunday night as a matter of fact.   I’d never consider electric for that reason.  

• Like 1

My uncle, a plumber, said buy the cheapest one you can find.  There isn't enough of a difference to matter.

thanks for replies, lumbar yard 3 miles away is do it best store they can get a rheem by Friday, a 50k btu model, we use it for heating the shop floor, would like a wall mounted boiler ,instead, but our house is also heated by a hot water heater and that's only 33 btu , it can not keep up when it gets below zero, we would already have a lot of the components for a boiler in the house, and in the shop we also have a woodchuck wood furnace, maybe next time, the rheem is guaranteed for 6 years by then I will be 69 years old things might be different by then, again thanks for replies

17 hours ago, RKO said:

You are right on that 

GE, Kenmore, whirlpool are the basic same company. Kenmore has not built any of their own stuff for years.  Its all built by Someone else annd rebadged. 

Not even close to the same company. Whirlpool is an american owned independent company. GE appliance division( I think that includes water heaters, but not sure) has been sold to the Chinese company Haier. Kenmore does not, has not and will not build anything, they simply put their name on someone else's products. They all buy their water heaters from someone else and put their name on it and have for a long time. They are definitely not the same companies. 

11 hours ago, Scott! said:

My uncle, a plumber, said buy the cheapest one you can find.  There isn't enough of a difference to matter.

I've read, but can't confirm, that within a given brand and type the only difference in the higher end units is a longer warranty.  I'd believe that based on my experience.

On 12/2/2019 at 10:15 PM, 12_Guy said:

Pretty sure that there are several different manufacturers. 

Yup.  A.oh. Smith still makes them, Bradford White makes them several towns over from me in middleville yet, my neighbor works there.  Rheem Ruud is another company...

mistake the one I am getting is called a reliance, seems that they all offer 6 year warranties no matter the brand, 6 years maybe milk will be so high priced I can sit back and have a boiler put in.

16 hours ago, drglinski said:

Mine is gas and works when the power goes out.  I can take a hot shower, have hot water etc with the lights go out.  Just did it Sunday night as a matter of fact.   I’d never consider electric for that reason.  

Must be an atmospheric vented type.

That will not work with a power vented type.

If you have a well then better take a quick shower before the expansion tank empties.

• Like 1