Sign in to follow this  
jimw

Ford with funk conversion

Saw this online, never saw one, not sure if it’s a loner or if there were several. Owner calls it a 6 cylinder funk conversion 

6472338E-41FD-44AB-9135-A09D9A13192A.jpeg

58319715-3128-4BF0-9B96-E904C51D259A.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes, Funk made several conversion kits for the Fords. One was a Ford flathead V8. 

• Like 2

HMMM? That's interesting. Never heard of a 2 or 9 N with the Funk conversion. Only ones I ever saw or heard of was on 8N's. That ain't saying they never did it, just that I never heard of one.

Quick Google search shows that that Howard Funk started selling his conversion kit in 1949 for the 8N. But seeing that they all used the same engine bolt patterns (9/2/8) it's very possible some farmer bought the kit and put it on an older tractor. 

Man that would be a big jump in HP. From 23 to 95! Seems that Ford sued Funk over the conversion claiming it was tearing up the ring and pinion gears. Seems that Ford neglected to heat treat the gears on some tractors. Ford eventually authorized Funk to sell the kits. The kits then became available through the dealer.

Rick 

What ya want to watch for is the tractor conversion kit that used a model A Ford car . Back in the day there were several around.  It’s been a long time since I have came across one .  

I know of a private museum in California that wants one . 

Back in the Mid 60's the local poultry producer had several of these 40's - 50's "Ford's".   When it was time to clean the Cage barns he would hire the local "4-H Farm Teens" to drive his fleet of tractors pulling ground driven spreaders,  He would Purchase about any 8N style ford from the local Farm auction sales,  $250-$450 was the going price here in Mid-Michigan,  He had a couple 6 cylinder Funk conversions , And One V8 conversion.

You were assigned a Tractor & Spreader to operate,  Some 4 cylinder tractors had a 9 speed Trans, all the others had a 3 or 4 speed.

Pulling a 30 or 40 bushel "John Deere" ground driven spreader full of "Chicken Litter" across a Muddy corn field in the Cold Spring weather with an open Station low profile small tired tractor wasn't a pleasure,  The guys that got to drive the V-8 tractor always gave you the pipes as they past you in the field headed back to the "Laying Barn".

Field speed or Power wasn't apparent in a Muddy lane or wheat stubbled field,  Tires were the limiting factor, 

I drove a 4 speed, 6 cylinder conversion for several years ,  Never drove the V-8 with a load behind it,   all the engines had a "Governor" .

By 1972 the operation had grown to a "Corporation Size"  Poultry Business, The Owners Children got involved, Purchased all the Feed,  Custom Haulers removed all the "Stinky" chicken Manure,     In 1983 the place changed hands,   the Children "Cashed In" and Left the community,  By 1988 the Facility Failed.

At the Auction in 1990's the little "Fords" went to the local collectors,   We "Dairy Farmers" purchased the Grain Bins, Grain legs & augers,  The Ground driven spreaders & "Galvanized Starline Side delivery Spreaders" went to the local Junk Guys.

Chicken Manure was always Stuck to the hoods & fenders of the "Fords",    Rain was the only "TLC" that those little tractors received,   Those tractors were parked in a open sided shed in the winter months,  Those little tractors Seemed to Preform very well over the years when you think,  Never saw an oil change or  a grease gun. 

Gone Down Memory lane again,  Jim Droscha 

34 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

What ya want to watch for is the tractor conversion kit that used a model A Ford car . Back in the day there were several around.  It’s been a long time since I have came across one .  

I know of a privet museum in California that wants one . 

A Farm Museum in "Mid- Michigan" has one, I think He also has a frame & Brackets still in the box, Never assembled,  I need to call them,

The South Dakota State Fair speedway used to have one to push start the modifieds.

The thing would really put two roostertails of dirt in the air!!!

(and sound good doing it)

Mike

1 hour ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Gone Down Memory lane again

And, just to add a bit to this discussion, if memory serves we correctly, Funk built some airplanes?

best, randy

Now wait a minute..... the little 8n's barely had enough power/weight to go get the mail. You could throw whatever you want in there but at the end of the day did it have enough weight to even make it practical? Did guys buy this for farming or just to show off? Usually in that era after the depression there wasnt a whole lot of "showing off" going on in these parts. 

They were used to farm with.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Now wait a minute..... the little 8n's barely had enough power/weight to go get the mail. You could throw whatever you want in there but at the end of the day did it have enough weight to even make it practical? Did guys buy this for farming or just to show off? Usually in that era after the depression there wasnt a whole lot of "showing off" going on in these parts. 

I have a Ford book and there is a story on how a farmer took his V8 powered 8n and won a national plowing contest with it.  

This 'ol flathead 8 Funk conversion sure sounds like a badazz.......

1 hour ago, Randy Sohn said:

And, just to add a bit to this discussion, if memory serves we correctly, Funk built some airplanes?

best, randy

Correct. Like many small aircraft makers after WWII they couldn't compete with the used market. Most went broke and disappeared. Funk went onto other things. Went from being an aircraft manufacturer to just a manufacturer and was eventually bought out by JD.

Rick 

3 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

Funk built some airplanes?

Oldtanker, thanks , for a little while there, I was wondering if my memory was playin' tricks on me again, but then found quite a bit on the computer, even found where my ole chum, Budd D., did a report on one he'd found.

best, randy

3 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Correct. Like many small aircraft makers after WWII they couldn't compete with the used market. Most went broke and disappeared. Funk went onto other things. Went from being an aircraft manufacturer to just a manufacturer and was eventually bought out by JD.

Rick 

Never put 2 and 2 together was funk conversion the same as funk transmission

57 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Never put 2 and 2 together was funk conversion the same as funk transmission

Never heard of a Funk Transmission. Heard of a Howard and the Sherman. The Howard was just a low gear for the transmission itself that slowed the N down enough to use a rototiller. To my understanding you were not supposed to do any tillage work with the the Howard in low. Wasn't built to pull, just to slow the ground speed down.The Sherman was a full transmission that was available in 3 models. The overdrive was Standard 1X1 and high, the under slowed it down and the combo was 3 speed, High, standard and Low. Problem there was that it went between the engine and stock transmission and therefore changed the gearing of the PTO if in high or low.

But as far as the "Funk conversion" is concerned I've never heard of it refer to anything except the the I6 and V8 engine conversions. Looks lie they made 6,180 I6 kits and 140 V8 kits. Production of the Funk kits stopped in 1953 when Ford introduced the NAA (Jubilee). That ran from 1953 to 1955 when the X00 series were introduced. Only the 1953 is a Golden Jubilee denoting the 50 year anniversary of the Ford Motor Company. 54/55 are just Jubilee.

Rick

This one was online auction a while back. I think the flathead looks really good in there. 

1952ford8nantique2wdtractor.jpg.91c494c433fa64f55aaa906f959784a2.jpg

Just looked online and yes it is the same company. They got sold a couple times but John Deere ended up with the company to build their powershift trans. Funny thing is the company was affiliated again with ford and new holland as they used those transmissions and agco did also.

9 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

They were used to farm with.

Yeah my grandpa and dad used these for vegetable gardening.  It was not a big plot but big enough for the family and sell some at the market.  Ford was really popular in this area of Michigan all the way through the 80's.

23 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Just looked online and yes it is the same company. They got sold a couple times but John Deere ended up with the company to build their powershift trans. Funny thing is the company was affiliated again with ford and new holland as they used those transmissions and agco did also.

Agco Terragators also used funk trannies along with JD engines for time.  Should have painted them half green.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Agco Terragators also used funk trannies along with JD engines for time.  Should have painted them half green.  

That was a trivia question on here once. what piece of caseih equipment came from factory with a JD engine it was the Tyler sprayer when caseih took them over.

Funk transmissions were used in White 6175/6195 tractors. Ford 8630-8830 and Ford/New Holland Genesis tractors. When I would order parts for a White/Ford tractor that was tore apart in the shop, sometimes the boxes would have an AGCO or CNH sticker on a John Deere box.

A retired mechanic not far from here put a Yanmar diesel out of a John Deere 950 in an 8N Ford. Looks like it came from the factory that way.