Sporting Clays ,preference for Guage and Shotgun

I like any well made shotgun, 12 gauge is the only way to go IMO because of variety and affordability of shells, my favourite is crack barrel guns, they seem to be most accurate for me, if the bead is on it it dies with the break barrel, if you need more than one shot than that’s all the more reason to have a double barrel, hard to beat the feeling of a side by side, I have a Cooey single, Sears single, Stevens Savage SxS, Mossberg pump, Winchester semi, a Browning SxS and A5 on loan, love them all, I’ve been around some high end guns but none have made me wanna spend the big bucks to get one, maybe they are worth it for an extreme shooter but my farm still has the least amount of pigeons than any other local place 

On 12/1/2019 at 8:53 AM, 560Dennis said:

see they have a a moss berg over and under under a 1000

The over under mossberg doesn't have very good reviews.  I've not been that impressed with the ones I've looked at and held and I have 2 mossberg pump guns 

20 hours ago, B.B. said:

The over under mossberg doesn't have very good reviews.  I've not been that impressed with the ones I've looked at and held and I have 2 mossberg pump guns 

O/u only had baikal  12 and 20 . Sporting clay , only issues was the 20 gauge got warm with the wife and daughter both using it . It would occasionally not eject wheel. Can’t remember which chamber now. But that my only gripe.

i don’t put to much into reviews unless it catastrophic. 
I had guys in competition with me claim it’s the gun , it’s the gun , hand it off the gun  to me hit the target every time. 🤷‍♂️👀👍🏿Ya it’s the gun , it tell them  , I miss every time with my gun 👀🤷‍♂️👍🏿

My understanding as I did look into getting a Mossberg over/under myself is several of the cheaper O/U's are made in Turkey by Kahn.  Their quality seems to be suspect.  I'm a Mossberg kind of guy as I bought my very first gun ever was a 500a 12ga when I was in 7th grade.   But after looking the "Mossberg" O/U over really well it's a Kahn gun just like a lot of other cheap offerings.  You're mileage may vary but if I'm going to spend nearly 1K for an O/U I'm just going to spend a little more and get a good gun like a Browning, Beretta, or such. 

After looking up Baikal you may be just fine with a Kahn gun.    :)

I hear you on people blaming the gun.  I bought my Nephew a 1187 Remington this summer as I found one on clearance at Wal-Mart and after missing several clays in a row he said it was the gun.    Turns out he was wrong after he handed it to me! :)

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

O/u only had baikal  12 and 20 . Sporting clay , only issues was the 20 gauge got warm with the wife and daughter both using it . It would occasionally not eject wheel. Can’t remember which chamber now. But that my only gripe.

i don’t put to much into reviews unless it catastrophic. 
I had guys in competition with me claim it’s the gun , it’s the gun , hand it off the gun  to me hit the target every time. 🤷‍♂️👀👍🏿Ya it’s the gun , it tell them  , I miss every time with my gun 👀🤷‍♂️👍🏿

I say with reviews you have to take the extremes of both ends and disregard. 

1 hour ago, B.B. said:

My understanding as I did look into getting a Mossberg over/under myself is several of the cheaper O/U's are made in Turkey by Kahn.  Their quality seems to be suspect.  I'm a Mossberg kind of guy as I bought my very first gun ever was a 500a 12ga when I was in 7th grade.   But after looking the "Mossberg" O/U over really well it's a Kahn gun just like a lot of other cheap offerings.  You're mileage may vary but if I'm going to spend nearly 1K for an O/U I'm just going to spend a little more and get a good gun like a Browning, Beretta, or such. 

After looking up Baikal you may be just fine with a Kahn gun.    :)

I hear you on people blaming the gun.  I bought my Nephew a 1187 Remington this summer as I found one on clearance at Wal-Mart and after missing several clays in a row he said it was the gun.    Turns out he was wrong after he handed it to me! :)

I agree, I don’t discredit someone for being alarmed by price and going economical, but I don’t NEED an O/U even though I really want one, I’d rather hold out for a nice one for a little more . 

I use to go to benefit turkey shoots , I was ,every body was bested by the one guy that brought a goose gun .  That barrel was so long it use reach the target  .  I said well 🤷‍♂️👀 I had fun ,but lost interest 

14 minutes ago, MTO said:

Dick Cheney used a Fabbri (sp) 12 ga with #8s.....:blush:

Oh so 50K plus for a 12GA???    

Still think politicians and any of us have anything in common?   50K for a shotgun?????     And I thought with a 1,500 dollar Beretta I was the Bourgeoisie LOL 

5 minutes ago, B.B. said:

Oh so 50K plus for a 12GA???    

Still think politicians and any of us have anything in common?   50K for a shotgun?????     And I thought with a 1,500 dollar Beretta I was the Bourgeoisie LOL 

His was a custom O/U worth $180k but I was just strokin you guys BB. 

Sorry...

2 minutes ago, MTO said:

His was a custom O/U worth $180k but I was just strokin you guys BB. 

Sorry...

180K for a shotgun???? 

No reason for you to be sorry.    

But 180K for a shotgun?   

Seriously??? 

That's the world we live in??? 

Holy crap! 

:):):)

got a field grade Weatherby in 12 Ga

went threw over a dozen to find the one that fits

summer time I need to add  1 1/4'' to the stock length

winter it gets removed due to extra clothing 

the bad part is you cant adjust the stock  for drop or cant [ect] due to the way it is fitted to the action

also a mod 37 Ithaca for the bang around shot gun on the farm

went with plastic stock and it wears well

Mike

10 hours ago, B.B. said:

180K for a shotgun???? 

No reason for you to be sorry.    

But 180K for a shotgun?   

Seriously??? 

That's the world we live in??? 

Holy crap! 

:):):)

That is the "come up and see my etchings" model

I love shooting Clay's.  Actually looking at an automatic thrower now.  I've got a 64 rem 870 wing master that is just a dandy  and a marlin bolt action 12 gauge.  Havent tried Clay's with that one. Want to.    But of all the guns I've shot my dad had a winchester 1200 pump that I can smoke 100% of anything I aim for.  It's not a trap gun.  Just a nice old 12.  

Chris 

So....  I have a co-worker that is really into shotguns, clays, and is currently the president of our local Isaac Walton League.  I called him this morning and said I found a local guy selling a really nice O/U that was engraved, I believed to be Italian made, with really fancy wood, and bluing that you would see on an upper end gun.   I told him I though the brand name on it was Fabbri and even spelled it for him a couple times.  I then told him the fellow was asking 800.00 and that I was interested in buying it if he felt that was a "good price".  

Being the sly dog he is he tried his best for me to tell him where it was....  Good friend huh? LOL 

After I had him good and salivating and stammering I had to let him know he was a dog for trying to buy it out from under me, and that I knew I was describing a 50K plus gun for 800 bucks LOL 

He may not ever talk to me again! :):)

Screwing with your co-workers minds..... fantastic! 😝  Thanks MTO 

• Haha 2