MBrown

Rifles

Excellent stock on that Ruger mini......looks sharp!

56 minutes ago, Pukeko said:

Shot placement?

Anywhere I can. The first shot was just to the right of the sling. I was aiming low behind the shoulder and he took a step when I shot so it hit a little farther back, the rest of them were in his backside because he was running away.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Excellent stock on that Ruger mini......looks sharp!

I went in the gun store that day with every intention of getting a stainless one, until I saw that stock. The guy said their distributor special orders a few like that sometimes, he said they don’t stay on the rack long. I love it and haven’t seen another like it.

2 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

I like your Mini14 there.  Or is it a 30?

It’s a 14, the next one will be .300blk. Knocking .30 caliber holes in them would be better than .22 holes.

On 12/2/2019 at 6:19 AM, oldtanker said:

Speaking of overkill.........you should see what an inert HEAT round traveling close to 5,000 FPS does to a wild hog through a thermal imaging sight at about 1100-1200 meters.......😱........and no, it wasn't me that did it........

Rick 

San Clemente Island off the coast of California is was the USN Pacific Gunnery Range.  It has goats to hold down crap brush and  trees and a small contingent of people.  Occasionally goats fall to a shipboard navy gun in surface mode.  Gunnery practice is/was normally close-in at 2K of 4K yards, 1 or 2 nautical miles. 

On 12/2/2019 at 8:38 AM, jworley said:

They’ve been in certain areas here for centuries, since the Spanish released some in the 1600s. After dog hunting them got popular some enterprising individuals decided if they released some all over it would provide more hunting opportunities. Now they’re everywhere. They’re a mix of original Spanish stock along with everything else. I don’t think we’ll ever kill them all at this point.

F3B6A2A4-BE20-4AA1-B984-6217AB9A871B.jpeg

4B81FE5B-96DE-46F5-AA9A-43DB9AF86F43.jpeg

B3483905-BFDF-4463-8C6A-EA5D5CFFD477.jpeg

89D11064-E32C-4EE7-85C0-C0E544BA3F0B.jpeg

3C95EC5F-527A-48E7-A516-4B62C009EACE.jpeg

65B34539-6125-4E2E-942C-530749465469.jpeg

Are they edible? Or more like coon where they eat so much garbage, you wouldn’t want to

Months After Left Scoffed at AR-15 for Hog Control, Herd of Boar Kills Woman

https://www.westernjournal.com/months-left-scoffed-ar-15-hog-control-herd-boar-kills-woman/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Are they edible? Or more like coon where they eat so much garbage, you wouldn’t want to

A sales guy at work shot one and they made it into sausage 

1 hour ago, zleinenbach said:

A sales guy at work shot one and they made it into sausage 

IMO: Healthy piglets and sows are decent eating BUT a mature un-neutered male is GARBAGE even as well seasoned sausage. 

The consensus in this area is  that if you want to use the feral hogs as a food source you need to live trap it and then feed for several months with a vet check-up before slaughter.

While in a holding pen they should always be isolated from other farm animals.

On December 1, 2019 at 2:07 AM, mike_newman said:

So because  they were so bloody ugly, and heavy, when more modern bolt action firearms  became available...the old Lee   Enfields were cast aside .......but you couldn't really fault the ballistics  in terms of shooting at  up to Wapiti size, soft skinned animals...I brought a variety of calibres, including 308 Norma    Magnum.......

Mike

I have that Norma, got it from my Dad originally was a 30-06 he had a gunsmith re chamber to this round, great ballistics for it's day, then the 300 Win mag came out and all but killed it

Costs a fortune to shoot now if you can even find cartridges usually special order or trying to find brass to reload or modify other brass to work

Would have much preferred it stay in it's original chambering 06 was no slouch

1 hour ago, oleman said:

IMO: Healthy piglets and sows are decent eating BUT a mature un-neutered male is GARBAGE even as well seasoned sausage. 

The consensus in this area is  that if you want to use the feral hogs as a food source you need to live trap it and then feed for several months with a vet check-up before slaughter.

While in a holding pen they should always be isolated from other farm animals.

There is a "sometimes" market for feral pigs from Australia to Europe.  Seems freezing the carcasses for a time gets rid of the undesirables they might be carrying.

19 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

More like coons. Some folks like it. I’ve tried a couple of times and they taste just like they smell, not too good. 

Sometimes even buzzards won’t eat the big ones.

I .260ed another just before dark today.

Now I’m sitting across the branch from there on a field oats, I can hear them down in the woods but they haven’t come out in the field, Swapped the.260 for Mini -14 with night vision since it got dark.

B8952203-0DFE-4BB6-B45D-DDAB79270E01.jpeg

...jworly..........I see you have a extensive   rifle selection........but , for me, the Marlin   in the lower picture     is a piece of quality :)

Mike

29 minutes ago, jworley said:

More like coons. Some folks like it. I’ve tried a couple of times and they taste just like they smell, not too good. 

Sometimes even buzzards won’t eat the big ones.

I .260ed another just before dark today.

Now I’m sitting across the branch from there on a field oats, I can hear them down in the woods but they haven’t come out in the field, Swapped the.260 for Mini -14 with night vision since it got dark.

B8952203-0DFE-4BB6-B45D-DDAB79270E01.jpeg

Sounds like an infestation? Open season I assume?

12 minutes ago, mike_newman said:

...jworly..........I see you have a extensive   rifle selection........but , for me, the Marlin   in the lower picture     is a piece of quality :)

Mike

If I could only have one, that’s it. I’ve been deer hunting with it since I got it new in 82 when I was 14.

12 minutes ago, mike_newman said:

Mike

4 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Sounds like an infestation? Open season I assume?

24-7 year round.

3 minutes ago, jworley said:

If I could only have one, that’s it. I’ve been deer hunting with it since I got it new in 82 when I was 14.

...some details, please 

Mike

1 minute ago, mike_newman said:

...some details, please 

Mike

336 with no cross bolt safety. Can’t get any better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jworley said:

336 with no cross bolt safety. Can’t get any better.

...Yeah, figured that...but what calibre ?

All my "current  " Marlins  precede the "cross bolt safety "........brought in  a 45-70    from the US back some years......Have 444 and several 30 Cal  (30-30 )......and a 1951 era    336 with regular rifling......(.not "micro- groove )......always wanted a 35 Rem   to round out the 336 models...like Rocking Horse  Excrement    in NZ...never did get one...never will now, with our draconian gun laws........

Mike

...used to reload   the 30-30 with Sierra    "spire point ' rounds......feed them    singly    into the breech.......unbelievable   accuracy with the old 1951   336.......  120 grain  projectiles

17 minutes ago, mike_newman said:

...Yeah, figured that...but what calibre ?

All my "current  " Marlins  precede the "cross bolt safety "........brought in  a 45-70    from the US back some years......Have 444 and several 30 Cal  (30-30 )......and a 1951 era    336 with regular rifling......(.not "micro- groove )......always wanted a 35 Rem   to round out the 336 models...like Rocking Horse  Excrement    in NZ...never did get one...never will now, with our draconian gun laws........

Mike

...used to reload   the 30-30 with Sierra    "spire point ' rounds......feed them    singly    into the breech.......unbelievable   accuracy with the old 1951   336.......  120 grain  projectiles

.30-30 lol sorry I left that out.

I didn’t think to include that because 99% of tube fed lever actions around here are so chambered. You see a .35 around from time to time though. 45-70s or any other caliber is rarely seen locally although, a few guys I know that go to Iowa deer hunting have bought new 45-70s in the last year or two.

You metric people sure have hard time with spelling. Calibre? 

The spire point 30-30’s do shoot well. I loaded a few for a Remington 788 I had chambered in 30-30.  Pic is comparison to a normal lead HP 30-30 reload. 

96E82A5F-B33B-4135-B733-7E3C47455B1B.jpeg
I sold the 788 but still have a pre-64 Winchester 30-30. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

The spire point 30-30’s do shoot well. I loaded a few for a Remington 788 I had chambered in 30-30.  Pic is comparison to a normal lead HP 30-30 reload. 

96E82A5F-B33B-4135-B733-7E3C47455B1B.jpeg
I sold the 788 but still have a pre-64 Winchester 30-30. 

My son has my Dads 788 in .243, I was unaware they made them in .30/30. I generally use good old Remington Cor-Lokt 150 or Winchester Power Point 150 grain loads.

Marlin makes a newer button rifled barrel tube fed lever action called XLR( I think) that’s supposed to be optimized for Hornady soft tip bullets( can’t remember the name of them) that’s claimed to be a 250 yard rifle. 

My son also has a Winchester 94 post-64 I bought him when he was about 14. 

According to the serial number, it was manufactured in early 68, supposedly among the worst of the worst, with a side mounted Tasco scope. It will shoot 100 yard 3 shot groups where the holes almost touch.

4 minutes ago, jworley said:

My son has my Dads 788 in .243, I was unaware they made them in .30/30. I generally use good old Remington Cor-Lokt 150 or Winchester Power Point 150 grain loads.

Marlin makes a newer button rifled barrel tube fed lever action called XLR( I think) that’s supposed to be optimized for Hornady soft tip bullets( can’t remember the name of them) that’s claimed to be a 250 yard rifle. 

The 788 was an awesome gun. The 30-30 and .44 mag were the most oddball calibers it was chambered in. 

I have reloaded some of the Hornady Bullets for the 30-30 but never put them on paper at any distance. I shoot the 30-30 for fun so range isn’t important for me. I bet a 30-30 or a .35 would be fun on those hogs. I’ve known a few people who went hunting for them with an AR style platform in .223 or .308.  I’m sorry you have so much trouble with them but it sure looks like a target rich environment for a guy who likes to shoot. 

32 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

The 788 was an awesome gun. The 30-30 and .44 mag were the most oddball calibers it was chambered in. 

I have reloaded some of the Hornady Bullets for the 30-30 but never put them on paper at any distance. I shoot the 30-30 for fun so range isn’t important for me. I bet a 30-30 or a .35 would be fun on those hogs. I’ve known a few people who went hunting for them with an AR style platform in .223 or .308.  I’m sorry you have so much trouble with them but it sure looks like a target rich environment for a guy who likes to shoot. 

I hate having to admit how much fun it is trying to get rid of them lol. I get plenty of trigger time. I’m listening to some now in the woods at the end of the field. If they come out there’s going to be trouble. Lol

the wind is wrong for my position though.