Jump to content
MBrown

Rifles

Recommended Posts

There’s always that guy that has to disagree with every one else, today it’s me.  

I’ve had a Remington Model Seven .260 since about 95. I love it. I don’t reload and have had no trouble finding ammo. They won’t have it at Walmart but any stocking gun store will as well as Bass Pro, Academy, Cabelas etc. There aren’t as many loadings available as the more popular calibers but I just usually use plain old Remington green and yellow 140 grain Cor-Lokts. They do the job and then some. I also have a few boxes of of Remington Accutip( I think it’s called) 125 grain ballistic tips and some Federal 125 grain loads. 

As for.260 being unavailable in 20 years but 6.5 Creedmore being everywhere, I guess we’ll have to wait and see. The 6.5 Creedmore will probably on the shelf next to the Winchester SSM, .45 GAP and.357 Sig ammo.

Got a feral hog with it yesterday.

0C99D844-7E06-4E1F-B311-671574E26585.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2019 at 8:35 PM, searcyfarms said:

just my thoughts but get something that is tried/true and bullets are easily accessible, inexpensive,  doesnt require a lot of thought around what you might want to shoot with it or sustain having the thing usable in the future.

.223, .243, .270, 30.30, 30.06, they are not going away and will kill anything in N/A if you know how to shoot them. Unless you are competition shooting there is really no reason for some special round that will shoot the hair off a gnats butt cause you likely cant shoot that well anyway. 

honestly if you can put a round in the area of a paper plate you are going to kill 90% of everything you shoot at so why everyone gets all wrapped around the axle and thinks they need some wing dinger lead slinger is beyond me. 

get something you like to shoot, you dont mind the recoil, and are confident with and you will be set

 

 

Totally agree 

I've got a 220 swift that ammo is getting hard to find locally and too damn expensive, haven't shot it  in years.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, jworley said:

There’s always that guy that has to disagree with every one else, today it’s me.  

I’ve had a Remington Model Seven .260 since about 95. I love it. I don’t reload and have had no trouble finding ammo. They won’t have it at Walmart but any stocking gun store will as well as Bass Pro, Academy, Cabelas etc. There aren’t as many loadings available as the more popular calibers but I just usually use plain old Remington green and yellow 140 grain Cor-Lokts. They do the job and then some. I also have a few boxes of of Remington Accutip( I think it’s called) 125 grain ballistic tips and some Federal 125 grain loads. 

As for.260 being unavailable in 20 years but 6.5 Creedmore being everywhere, I guess we’ll have to wait and see. The 6.5 Creedmore will probably on the shelf next to the Winchester SSM, .45 GAP and.357 Sig ammo.

Got a feral hog with it yesterday.

0C99D844-7E06-4E1F-B311-671574E26585.jpeg

...another breath of sanity  amongst   the  "over bore Boys "........not familiar with this particular calibre, but it is not in the category of "searcyfarms "...  wingdinger   lead slinger.......I applaud that choice...!!

..picture of feral  hog........or "wild  pig" as we call them, down under...

.....Rifle.....old Savage   99...in .......wait for it .......22Hi Power    calibre

Mike

 

 

 

 

post-157-1162014618        savage 22hp.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually just call them hogs. 

.22 Hi Power is a new one on me lol

.260 Rem is basically a 6.5-08

Nice hog, we shoot all of them we can around here and I think we are coming up a little short on controlling them.

This one is from Thursday night.

1B720257-2604-4B6C-987D-6C27C488A2E5.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.......ok.....any 6.5   calibre projectile has  superb ballistic potential....I had a Ruger 77   in 6mm    calibre......sold it and kept the 250-3000    Ruger 77........still got and always will have the old 264  win    mag.......another fine  6.5   rifle......28inch  bbl     Sako

......those "hogs"   are very hard on pastures, especially during winter months....breed prolifically around these parts  ..only way to keep them off the good grass paddocks is to dog them....

.......picture taken out of the old 5130  whilst  feeding out baleage......there were 18 pigs there...got a few in the photo...already having a good go at the  grass....

Mike

IMG_0913.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some years ago I noticed the loading specs  a friend' had filled out on a box of bullets, which went:-

Primer - Yes

Powder -  Heaps

Bullet -  Big ********

Results -  Delightful

One stage here we had an absolute explosion of wild pigs.  Tally's like 1200 in a week - limited by ammunition supply, not lack of pigs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mike_newman said:

.......ok.....any 6.5   calibre projectile has  superb ballistic potential....I had a Ruger 77   in 6mm    calibre......sold it and kept the 250-3000    Ruger 77........still got and always will have the old 264  win    mag.......another fine  6.5   rifle......28inch  bbl     Sako

......those "hogs"   are very hard on pastures, especially during winter months....breed prolifically around these parts  ..only way to keep them off the good grass paddocks is to dog them....

.......picture taken out of the old 5130  whilst  feeding out baleage......there were 18 pigs there...got a few in the photo...already having a good go at the  grass....

Mike

IMG_0913.JPG

They love peanuts, which is the main crop around here. They can reduce a good stand to nothing in one night. They’ll go right down the row and get every seed at times. Same thing in corn. What wheat is grown here is sown after peanuts, they’ll root big holes in the field looking for them . They’ve been shot at enough that they are rarely seen in the daytime. Triticale has gotten popular lately for grazing and cover crop and they’ve taken a liking to it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of overkill.........you should see what an inert HEAT round traveling close to 5,000 FPS does to a wild hog through a thermal imaging sight at about 1100-1200 meters.......😱........and no, it wasn't me that did it........

 

Rick 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we dont have wild pigs/feral hogs around here much - i think there are a few in southern MO but i dont think people hunt them that much at least i dont see a lot of articles or rants about them anywhere - i grew up raising hogs and they can be a menace in a pen let alone when they get out and run around with no boundaries - we had them get out and they never ran off, they always wanted back in with the other hogs lol. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldtanker said:

Speaking of overkill.........you should see what an inert HEAT round traveling close to 5,000 FPS does to a wild hog through a thermal imaging sight at about 1100-1200 meters.......😱........and no, it wasn't me that did it........

 

Rick 

Fort Stewart? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

we dont have wild pigs/feral hogs around here much - i think there are a few in southern MO but i dont think people hunt them that much at least i dont see a lot of articles or rants about them anywhere - i grew up raising hogs and they can be a menace in a pen let alone when they get out and run around with no boundaries - we had them get out and they never ran off, they always wanted back in with the other hogs lol. 

 

They’ve been in certain areas here for centuries, since the Spanish released some in the 1600s. After dog hunting them got popular some enterprising individuals decided if they released some all over it would provide more hunting opportunities. Now they’re everywhere. They’re a mix of original Spanish stock along with everything else. I don’t think we’ll ever kill them all at this point.

F3B6A2A4-BE20-4AA1-B984-6217AB9A871B.jpeg

4B81FE5B-96DE-46F5-AA9A-43DB9AF86F43.jpeg

B3483905-BFDF-4463-8C6A-EA5D5CFFD477.jpeg

89D11064-E32C-4EE7-85C0-C0E544BA3F0B.jpeg

3C95EC5F-527A-48E7-A516-4B62C009EACE.jpeg

65B34539-6125-4E2E-942C-530749465469.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mike_newman said:

...another breath of sanity  amongst   the  "over bore Boys "........not familiar with this particular calibre, but it is not in the category of "searcyfarms "...  wingdinger   lead slinger.......I applaud that choice...!!

..picture of feral  hog........or "wild  pig" as we call them, down under...

.....Rifle.....old Savage   99...in .......wait for it .......22Hi Power    calibre

Mike

 

 

 

 

post-157-1162014618        savage 22hp.jpg

this is a pretty cool looking polka dotted hog 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, jworley said:

Fort Stewart? 

Grafenwöhr Germany.

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

Grafenwöhr Germany.

Rick

I figured you were talking about American hogs,  not no old sissy metric hogs.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope it was them wild boar that are extremely abundant in Germany. Sometimes there would be so many downrange that they would ceasefire the range until they moved out of the impact area.

Rick

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jworley said:

I figured you were talking about American hogs,  not no old sissy metric hogs.

Just looked it up. Average size for a mature male is 440 LBS and females about 260 LBS in Germany. They  have been known to "invade" towns and can be found in the burbs of most of the major cities. They figure that between 3,000 and 8,000 live in the Berlin suburbs.

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldtanker said:

Just looked it up. Average size for a mature male is 440 LBS and females about 260 LBS in Germany. They  have been known to "invade" towns and can be found in the burbs of most of the major cities. They figure that between 3,000 and 8,000 live in the Berlin suburbs.

Rick

It takes three of those metric pounds to make a real pound though.

 I assumed you might have been referring to Fort Stewart as there’s a tank firing range there and the place is covered up with hogs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jworley said:

It takes three of those metric pounds to make a real pound though.

 I assumed you might have been referring to Fort Stewart as there’s a tank firing range there and the place is covered up with hogs.

LOL that is converted to US weights and measures. And hate to tell you this.......1 KG = 2.2 LBS..........so it's just the opposite!😱🤣

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

LOL that is converted to US weights and measures. And hate to tell you this.......1 KG = 2.2 LBS..........so it's just the opposite!😱🤣

Rick

I know, I’m joking....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jworley said:

I know, I’m joking....

I knew that.......that's why I was pulling yer chain.

 

Anyhow sounds like you boys got yerselves a hog problem......

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

I knew that.......that's why I was pulling yer chain.

 

Anyhow sounds like you boys got yerselves a hog problem......

 

Rick

We’ve got more than we know what to do with right now. I’m doing my part to thin em down though.

 I hate to admit how much fun it is trying to get rid of them when they cause they damage they do. In the spring all you have to do is go to the  field and open up a bag of peanut seed and they come running. 

Theyll go right down the row from one end to the other. Back when everybody still used Temik or Thimet under the row I couldn’t understand why that didn’t kill them, I think they knew the smell of Thimet meant peanuts.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was a kid in the Coastal Area of South Carolina in the late 40's and 50's  everyone raised a few hogs for food and market.  Nothing I know of better than good cured ham and bacon.  One of my relatives owned many acres of swamp, he just turned the hogs loose and kept in touch with them by feeding them at the same place all the time, when time for sale he would trap them in a catch pen and load them up.  The same swamp  provided Deer, wild turkey and various varmints that he trapped and was part of the fur industry during that time. He owned 2 calibers of guns 22 and 12 gauge.  Had a H&R hand gun for self defense  and trapped critters and a Browning semi auto rifle every animal he took except for the turkeys was with one of the 22's.  He also had a 30-30 Win model but never saw it outside the gun cab.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, oleman said:

When I was a kid in the Coastal Area of South Carolina in the late 40's and 50's  everyone raised a few hogs for food and market.  Nothing I know of better than good cured ham and bacon.  One of my relatives owned many acres of swamp, he just turned the hogs loose and kept in touch with them by feeding them at the same place all the time, when time for sale he would trap them in a catch pen and load them up.  The same swamp  provided Deer, wild turkey and various varmints that he trapped and was part of the fur industry during that time. He owned 2 calibers of guns 22 and 12 gauge.  Had a H&R hand gun for self defense  and trapped critters and a Browning semi auto rifle every animal he took except for the turkeys was with one of the 22's.  He also had a 30-30 Win model but never saw it outside the gun cab.

 

A lot of guys kill them here on WMAs during small game hunts with .22lr, .22 mag and 17HMR. If you get close enough and catch them standing still, a head shot will drop them.

I shoot them in open crop fields, they’re never standing still and most of the time you won’t get very close before they’re gone. They don’t stand and graze like deer, they’re constantly in motion and will walk you to death trying to stay down wind while getting close enough for a shot. Deer are sometimes curious and will stand motionless staring until they decide to go about their business or run. If a hog gets suspicious they won’t hang around to think about it, they’ll be in the next county. Take whatever shot you can get, if they’re 150 yards away and running shoot anyway every shot you don’t take is guaranteed to miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jworley said:

I usually just call them hogs. 

.22 Hi Power is a new one on me lol

.260 Rem is basically a 6.5-08

Nice hog, we shoot all of them we can around here and I think we are coming up a little short on controlling them.

This one is from Thursday night.

1B720257-2604-4B6C-987D-6C27C488A2E5.jpeg

I like your Mini14 there.  Or is it a 30?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jworley said:

I usually just call them hogs. 

.22 Hi Power is a new one on me lol

.260 Rem is basically a 6.5-08

Nice hog, we shoot all of them we can around here and I think we are coming up a little short on controlling them.

This one is from Thursday night.

1B720257-2604-4B6C-987D-6C27C488A2E5.jpeg

Shot placement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...