Dad looking at a case ih 4894, are they any good?

There is a 86 case in 4894 for sale at the local dealer, my dad is interested in it but we have no experience with them, are they a good tractor? Any issues ? I dont see many of em around, it looks nice shape amd well maintained 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

About the only things ive heard of on those tractors are that they have the Scania engine in them and if they needed work it got expensive fast.  The other thing is since they are a crab steer se

There was a white one for sale here on an estate. The family made 8000 more than son and dad paid for it a few years ago. Here’s the one they had

Not to be a horses rear, but you would be better off with another 1456. 

Posted Images

About the only things ive heard of on those tractors are that they have the Scania engine in them and if they needed work it got expensive fast. 

The other thing is since they are a crab steer setup this particular time frame they had a computer setup that controlled the different steering modes. That could get troublesome at times. It would throw fits from what I've been told and would do odd things. Change steering modes for no reason other than a bump or whatnot. They all weren't like that but it was like dealing with the Sentrys on the 50 series. Some got along fine. Others didn't. To be honest if the price and condition was right i wouldn't be afraid of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We got the little brother to it. A 4494. Would like to get a 4894 someday but they are really holding they're value up around here. I would not be afraid of one. I dont know anything about the scania engine though. Great hydraulics on them. The 4 wheel steering can be troublesome but is actually not hard to figure out if you can get ahold of a service manual. The sensors and computer are not cheap, so need to be able to diagnose and figure out the problem before throwing parts at it. Our 4 wheel steering did quit. Ran it in 2 for a while. Ended up it was just a wheel sensor that went out of adjustment. Picked up a spare steering controller since ours was supposedly "garbage". Ended up nothing was wrong with it. But thats just crooked dealers and repair shops. Overall they are a good tractor. It's not a steiger, but still a good unit 

• Like 1

Stay far ,far , away ! , just buy a Steiger with a powershift , 9170,9270,9370 . If you buy that old Case and after first time the powershift , final drive, motor takes a dump you will of spent enough money you would of owned a Steiger .I have seen a lot of guys buy these thinking those old Case tractors are cheap power and just so you know there the most expensive tractor you could ever buy 😳

Danny 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, db1486 said:

But thats just crooked dealers and repair shops.

Did they actually come out and troubleshoot, or did you follow their recommendation after a brief consultation?

I have a real problem calling a dealer/repair shop "crooked" when you go to them with a vague description of the problem, and they give you a GUESS while you're standing there "shooting the breeze" in their driveway. There are plenty of reasons to call certain ones "crooked" but that isn't one of them.

Had the mechanic come and done some "troubleshooting" and then told you that you needed a new computer, knowing full well you didn't, THAT is crooked.

• Like 1

They are decent tractors when they are working. If you could buy it real cheap you might be ok but if you have to do any work on motor or powershift transmission you might as well park it. I believe a lot of parts for motor are NLA and those that are, are very expensive. I used to own a 2670 and transmission started to slip. Dealer said figure around 18-20,000 to fix it and that was 20+ years ago. It went down the road. As others said steering problems are common. Road speed is slow. 

If you could buy it for scrap price and price of tires and run it until it dies you might be alright, otherwise I would look for a Steiger or Versatile and you would be further ahead

Maynard , if it's anything like it was when I was in the shop , no one wanted to work on them and then you felt bad for the guy that owned them damn things , it was like a dog chasing its tail , motor, powershift , rearend, powershift , electric steering !! ( Well there I should be good everything is brand new ) Oh ,  then it would start all over again only in a different order of failure  😳😳 It no wonder they went broke before IH with tractors like those !!! 

Danny 

6 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Did they actually come out and troubleshoot, or did you follow their recommendation after a brief consultation?

I have a real problem calling a dealer/repair shop "crooked" when you go to them with a vague description of the problem, and they give you a GUESS while you're standing there "shooting the breeze" in their driveway. There are plenty of reasons to call certain ones "crooked" but that isn't one of them.

Had the mechanic come and done some "troubleshooting" and then told you that you needed a new computer, knowing full well you didn't, THAT is crooked.

I'm not naming names but theres a electrical repair shop that fixes computers and all sorts of ag electronic parts. About the only ones that would look at these steering controls. The one CIH dealer was excellent. No they didnt come out, but dad worked together with them on it. Not just a brief chit chat either. They were honest about it and didn't know the answer, and the diagnostic lights were showing a problem with the controller. So we sent it away. The electrical shop called when they got it. Then never heard nothing for quite a while. Called them again and they said it wasn't working and it's not repairable. We had someone go in to pick it up and they couldn't find it. Took a while but I guess they threw it in the junk pile so they had to dig it out. Their excuse was that it's not repairable so its garbage, but we still had 2 wheel steer and crab steer, just no 4 wheel. Finally got it from them. Put it back on the tractor so we could at least use it. Then kept trying to find the problem. Went to another dealer and finally got some other wiring diagrams with more tests than the CIH service manual. Went home and found out one wheel sensor was not in the proper voltage range. Set it and the original controller works fine.

Dad had troubles with the same place about 15 years prior to this too with a IH data center. So I stand by my statement. I got enough examples I could write a book so I'm not going to go there. Most shops and dealers are excellent, but there's enough around that are not!

I am sorry if I offended anyone by it. That was not my intent at all

There are no reasons to buy one when there are lots of Steigers and Versatiles to choose from.  Those Case crab steers are one of those tractors that nobody misses.  Guys just park them in the fence row when the engine or transmission goes especially if it had a scania.

• Thanks 1

In the Case crab steers defense, they have a PTO. Alot of corn was chopped and manure hauled in this state over the years with Case crab steers before self propelled choppers became popular. Still a fair share working on dairies. Can’t think of one Scania still running though just the smaller ones with the 504’s

Steiger's aren't much more money than that. In '12 we got this 9170 with PTO for 29.5 . It had 8 matching 20.8-42 tires @ 50% . 

Edited it is a 9170 not 92

I didn't notice I wrote it wrong

IMG_20191127_084745199_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, ChrisNY said:

In the Case crab steers defense, they have a PTO. Alot of corn was chopped and manure hauled in this state over the years with Case crab steers before self propelled choppers became popular. Still a fair share working on dairies. Can’t think of one Scania still running though just the smaller ones with the 504’s

My neighbor used to pull a Hesston 4900 with a 2470 and it was cumbersome as ****.  Can't image how it would be in the smaller fields back east.  Reason for the 2470 is they were trying to get by with one tractor for both the farming and baling.  They later upgraded to a 2670.  Then later they upgraded baler to a newer mid size one.  And after a few years bought they bought a JD 7800 to put on the baler and have been much happier.  We've had to loan our tractor to them a few times when the either Case went down.  Right now its missing a few gears but not the ones needed for summer fallowing.  According to him when it breaks down for good its getting parked.  Now my cousins next door to me back in the 70s needed a big tractor to farm with and to chop hay for their feedlot.  They chose a JD 6030.

3 hours ago, bitty said:

Steiger's aren't much more money than that. In '12 we got this 9270 with PTO for 29.5 . It had 8 matching 20.8-42 tires @ 50% . 

IMG_20191127_084745199_HDR.jpg

I wish that was the case here. 91 series steigers are pretty much 2x, sometimes 3x the price of a 94 series case 4wd. And finding a steiger with PTO is very very tough. We did find one to put on our 9130 but it was $25000, so passed on that 

10 hours ago, db1486 said:

I wish that was the case here. 91 series steigers are pretty much 2x, sometimes 3x the price of a 94 series case 4wd. And finding a steiger with PTO is very very tough. We did find one to put on our 9130 but it was $25000, so passed on that 

Check with salvage yards for burnt Steigers (9xxx series). I’ve found a couple with PTO’s that way, had to buy the whole tractor but I rebuilt and sold the PTO and easily made money on the deal. And if you are rebuilding it you can build it to the higher horsepower specs by adding a few plates in the clutch.  But they are getting harder to find for sure. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, db1486 said:

I wish that was the case here. 91 series steigers are pretty much 2x, sometimes 3x the price of a 94 series case 4wd. 

That should tell you something then.  Prices usual reflect the reputation and the parts support of the product.  

I have a 4690 that’s been a good tractor, I had it for close to 20 years and nothing major. My neighbors have 4 4890’s and seem to like them. Steering problems are what both of us have experienced as the worst problem. I would love a steiger series cih but just don’t use enough to justify. 

5 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Check with salvage yards for burnt Steigers (9xxx series). I’ve found a couple with PTO’s that way, had to buy the whole tractor but I rebuilt and sold the PTO and easily made money on the deal. And if you are rebuilding it you can build it to the higher horsepower specs by adding a few plates in the clutch.  But they are getting harder to find for sure. 

We have checked with quite a few around here. None had any and if they did it would be 25k. Haven't looked across the line yet. A PTO on a steiger is not very common around these parts. Kind of like a IH with a 3pt hitch. Just dont see them around hardly at all. Good to know about the higher hp specs. I thought they were all set the same

5 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

That should tell you something then.  Prices usual reflect the reputation and the parts support of the product.  

Very true. It's kind of like the 2+2's. Some guys like them, more guys hate them. And a case isn't a steiger, but I wouldn't call it a bad tractor. They put alot of acres in the ground

The Case 4wd were very popular around here and tons of them around, so I think there was just so many for sale that's why they are so much cheaper. And they are over 30 years old. Versatiles and green steigers of the same age aren't selling for a whole lot more than them. But once you get into the red steigers, blue ford/nh and 60 series and newer deeres, the price jumps way up. Just good reliable tractors for running grain cart and heavy harrows. If it's got a PTO, worth more yet. That whole 4wd tractor market has completely changed around here in the past 8-10 years. We were looking at early stx's 10 years ago for 60-80k. Now the same tractor with 3000+ more hours is holding over 100k

39 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Very true. It's kind of like the 2+2's. Some guys like them, more guys hate them. And a case isn't a steiger, but I wouldn't call it a bad tractor. They put alot of acres in the ground

The Case 4wd were very popular around here and tons of them around, so I think there was just so many for sale that's why they are so much cheaper. And they are over 30 years old. Versatiles and green steigers of the same age aren't selling for a whole lot more than them. But once you get into the red steigers, blue ford/nh and 60 series and newer deeres, the price jumps way up. Just good reliable tractors for running grain cart and heavy harrows. If it's got a PTO, worth more yet. That whole 4wd tractor market has completely changed around here in the past 8-10 years. We were looking at early stx's 10 years ago for 60-80k. Now the same tractor with 3000+ more hours is holding over 100k

Down across the border here those tractors have all dropped in price hard. Steiger, versatile, blue versatile and  early Steiger have dropped a lot. They were all 30 to 40,000 a few years ago now 15 to 20 for most.