Sign in to follow this  
jass1660

35 years ago today....

The announcement that the once mighty International Harvester was no longer whole....

• Sad 6

The divorce  and remarriage is sad. However I am glad ih is still around with cih. Many old brands are not. Thx-Ace

• Like 3

I was running dads 1066 chisel plowing in a field 1 mile east of my house.  I was surprised.  I remember it was this time of the year because the radio station was giving away turkeys in a game every few hours.  

• Like 1

We were wondering how an oil company could buy out IH.  Didn’t really hit that hard around here because other then the AF combines,  there wasn’t much IH selling.  It was a dead company compared to Deere again around here only.  Steiger getting bought out by CIH and Versatile turning blue probably caused more commotion.  

I was a senior in high school and had already dealt with all the putdowns from the john deere crowd even tho they all had 720 plows in those days and the announcement just started it all over again. 

I was a senior in high school and had already dealt with all the putdowns from the john deere crowd even tho they all had 720 plows in those days and the announcement just started it all over again. 

3FBA6B42-31ED-4314-8A7F-1433A4BF681E.jpeg

I remember was returning from getting Cotton picker parts in town, driving in my pickup and it was the headline on the news station I was listen too .

Made me kind of sick to my stomach. I was never a Case fan which made it even harder to swallow.

What blunted the affect was that John Deere had gotten a strong foot hold and most all the old former I.H. employees that I had been dealing withwent to work at Fresno Equipment Co. the up and coming JD dealer .

I was 39 in 1984 and had been Farming on my own for eleven years, but I.H. red was running in my veins since birth.

Tony

You look at the shape Navistar has been in the last several years. That merger may have been the best thing that could have happened to red tractors.

• Like 1

I was only alive 5 months while ih was still going, best 5 months of my life

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I was only alive 5 months while ih was still going, best 5 months of my life

Same here. Too young to know any better.

I see your Birthday is one day after mine.

I was in my 2nd year of heavy duty mech & one of my instructors gave me the news. He was an old Case guy & we always had an ongoing back & forth about case & IH. He got a few good shots in that day. Left the shop in fall & it was IH. Back to work in new year & was CaseIH.

I was working at IH Dealership in town that also had a Case Dealership,

Company  owned. 

Our thoughts were so...... which one closes?   Following year, we stayed, Case dealer closed

11 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I was only alive 5 months 

"Tiempo volando" I guess.  Was born in 1934 and still recall the days on the farm with all McCormick-Deering stuff.

Best, Randy

• Like 1

That morning the boss came back into the shop and said, well, Jim, (that's my real name) you are now a Case mechanic.  Don't remember what I said but probably not good.   In January the boss was down in Florida for a month or so when the franchise had to be signed, so I put my name on there some how for him.  

The whole deal was a real kick in the pants.  Taking crap from Deere guys , working on tractors I was not familiar with.  Not too long and boss sold out.  New owners were the pits.  Deere dealer offered me a job and  I took it.  Two hardest things in my life.  One was joining the Army and other was leaving red line.  But, I did find out that the green ones had their share of problems and oh, it cost bucks to repair those babies.  Customers were much more faithful to their equipment though and a lot less complaining about the bills. 

Ih ag was bought by tennaco. Tennaco had previously bought out case, it was not a merger. Tennaco was flush with cash from oil profits and could afford  to diversify their holdings. It was good for ih ag but I am not sure it was good for tennaco.  imho-ymmv. Thx-Ace

• Like 1