Cattech

Guess it's our turn.

I know everyone south and west of us here in central Mn already have gotten their fill. By the forecast, it appears our luck is about over, 8 or so" predicted tonight and another 8-12" for Friday-Sunday.

Good thing the corn was extra tall this yr, the Ol' Man is nowhere near finished with harvest.

On the bright side, I get to try out the AWD in the new Kia for the first time and I have my blade mounted on the brand new King Quad.

Now to get going on the 4 dead snowmobiles in the garage. 

Well I’d rather clean up a few mowers today than go out and clear driveways/sidewalks.......

• Like 1

ya we are getting it too

as much as 24'' out of the first storm[weather warning on cell phones]

the second one the same

but we got a IH so no problem :D

Mike

• Like 1

We were forecast 6 - 9" and thought I would wake up to a foot of the white stuff. But, only and inch or two so far. Still in winter storm warning till tonight so it could still pile up. We've been real lucky at missing them so far this year. Supposed to be two more coming in after this one this week. Can't miss 'em forever. 

Left early yesterday to beat the storm with a load of fuel. Got to North Platte and the truck started acting up. Really scared I would be broke down/snowed in away from home. But, the storm didn't develop and the truck held together to get me home last night. Just sitting here wondering if we are going to get enough snow to have to feed the fall/winter grazing cows any hay in addition to their daily caking. 

I hope to god we get 1" up here. Still way to much corn to come off. I'm typing this from the 1480 waiting on dad to bring me new used unload bevel gears. Pretty tough sitting here knowing snow is bearing down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like that's going to stay south of us!

Rick

Just a reflection on years gone by, my grandparents lived just out of town over by Cattech, and when I was a kid my grandfather worked for MnDot plowing snow in the winter. I remember several thanksgivings that he was at work in a plow.  

• Like 1

300 acres to go, and the bi*ch is letting it come down!! 😡   As wet as our corn is, we don’t need this, or cold air!!! Last year we finished 3 days before Christmas, and it was in the mid 30’s for 2 weeks, now we don’t even get into December!! Best part is, we have lost most of our frost, so plowing this crap tomorrow will be interesting!!! Definitely be so landscaping done!!!!

• Like 1

started snowing at 6;30 am  and we have 8-10'' on the ground now with 10-27'' more on the way.

should make the sledders happy.

waves on the big lake 19-28' out of the east

good day to surf on the net

Mike

No snow down here.  Not even a freeze projected over Thanksgiving.  Another hail storm expected on Friday.  First one since my roof and car were totaled in Mar 19.

Sometimes I miss the nice weather we had in Napa County Ca, then I remember the Quakes. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

300 acres to go, and the bi*ch is letting it come down!! 😡   As wet as our corn is, we don’t need this, or cold air!!! Last year we finished 3 days before Christmas, and it was in the mid 30’s for 2 weeks, now we don’t even get into December!! Best part is, we have lost most of our frost, so plowing this crap tomorrow will be interesting!!! Definitely be so landscaping done!!!!

Frost is deep enough here to carry everything, chisel won't go in, but there is an inch of slime on top. I was riding a hillside and the combine just slid away. Had to make 5 passes going one direction to get off hill. Got wagons and combine all full and in the shed as first flakes started.  Stopped by one neighbors to make sure roll tarps on big wagons and bin lids were closed, by the time I got home and put wood in stove was a dang blizzard. 4-6" here is my guess, wind blew it all over so hard to guess. 

still waiting for indian summer, we have just gotten about 6 inches of snow, not ready for this,

Same here on the total and the wind, official measurement is about 6", hard to tell with the drifting. 

The AWD Kia was a very nice handling vehicle in snow last night, I would say it was as good as my Suburban so far.

That wind still looks very uninviting, not really in a hurry to see how the new wheeler handles a plow. 

• Sad 1

Just very windy here today. Rained hard couple times last night and briefly hailed around 5:15

Frost? Guys have been ice fishing for a couple weeks now. Gotta be over 6" of ice on the lakes. Ground has been froze 3 weeks at least now. The past week has been just above and below freezing. The snow was melting very nicely last week, and the canola swaths were showing pretty good. Thought maybe we would get a chance to combine yet, but mother nature had different plans. Rained on Sunday then turned to snow. Combine and swather are home now and we're ready for winter. I think it's safe to say no more combining till spring here. Might as well let it snow! Lol

9 hours ago, Mike H said:

started snowing at 6;30 am  and we have 8-10'' on the ground now with 10-27'' more on the way.

should make the sledders happy.

waves on the big lake 19-28' out of the east

good day to surf on the net

Mike

No snow down here in central mich. Lots of rain and lots and lots of flooding and 40 mph wind

Where am I ,in the land of Oz ? Wind really 👀💨🐺howled last night 

Wind was howling good down here too. 50 miles from Columbus, OH.

welp we ended up with about 18'' around the house and 2'' on the open hay fields

really wet .. made the blower motor grunt

Mike

I live about 45 away from cattech.  More snow on the way for tomorrow night and Saturday.    Hopefully get the rest of corn off tomorrow and make the deer move for muzzleloader opener Saturday!

Sunny and 20mph winds today.  Low 30s.  We neeeed mtn snow but down here we are fine with out any.  Cool.and dry....Man I feel bad for you guys.  Snow on Thanksgiving...eww

We had a light freezing fog all day Friday with periods of freezing rain. Icicles on the tree branches and wires. Power has been blinking but don't think it has gone out yet. With the Generac I don't know unless I stick my head out the back door and listen for it running.  It turned to snow about 11:00 last night and put a fresh cover on top of the old snow we still had on the ground and is a steady light powdery snow now. Forecast is for up to 12" and 60 mph winds. Storm warning is for Sat noon to Sun noon. Hope to get hay to all the cows in the morning before the wind comes up. I could deal with the snow ok, it is good to have the moisture but the damn wind just make me disagreeable. They say in the days this country was settled, with no trees to block it, the wind actually drove people crazy. Really shouldn't complain, am living in a fairly weatherproof house and have a feed pickup and tractor with a cab. Not living in a soddie with canvas for windows and feeding with a team of horses. They was some tough, tough people in those days. 

Reminds me of a story of an old friend (passed away a couple years ago). He told me, when they was kids, him and his brother hired out to feed cows for a neighbor one winter. It was a meadow of about 500 stacks and maybe that many cows quite aways from the ranch buildings. The only protection they had was the stacks. They would hollow out a room big enough for them to sleep in and would stay there until the cows ate the stack and then would move on to another stack. Said it took them all day to get the cows fed and by the time they got back to their "haystack hotel" it was "like the Taj Mahal". 

11 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Sunny and 20mph winds today.  Low 30s.  We neeeed mtn snow but down here we are fine with out any.  Cool.and dry....Man I feel bad for you guys.  Snow on Thanksgiving...eww

Heck Troy we had 6” on Halloween.

I read little while ago Great Falls Mt. is at 55in since sometime in Sept., if that is accurate they will be on track to set records again this year although they set the bar quite high last year.