Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
FarmerFixEmUp

Plane Caught in Power Lines

Recommended Posts

Wow!!!!  No doubt, that pilot is fortunate to be alive.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw that on the news, what a putz 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like very little damage too! Be interesting to see if they get it down without smashing it.

Sort of a giant spider web.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was a kid, we had a spray pilot here that was picked out of the top of a shelterbelt more than once. (at least twice IIRC)

Last I heard he is alive and well, living in Miami beach, at about 98.

Mike

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, New Englander said:

 Be interesting to see if they get it down without smashing it

Was thinking the same thing.  I need to run over there quick and ask if it was Joe or his brother or what?

best, randy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

Was thinking the same thing.  I need to run over there quick and ask if it was Joe or his brother or what?

best, randy

That's gotta be just about in your back yard, Randy....

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pilot was Sixty-five-year-old Thomas Koskovich of Shakopee.

Perhaps he needs to lose his pilots license.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

The pilot was Sixty-five-year-old Thomas Koskovich of Shakopee.

Perhaps he needs to lose his pilots license.

Don't know how he ended up in that predicament; could have been an engine failure and gliding to what looked like a good spot happened to have wires in the way. You can't see wires from the air, only the poles.

Or, he could have been flying low and oops!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

The pilot was Sixty-five-year-old Thomas Koskovich of Shakopee.

Perhaps he needs to lose his pilots license.

My FIL is 63' I don't see him making this mistake with his plane. This guy was a goober from day 1 , mark my words, age was not a factor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Don't know how he ended up in that predicament; could have been an engine failure and gliding to what looked like a good spot happened to have wires in the way. You can't see wires from the air, only the poles.

Or, he could have been flying low and oops!

Ruling out mechanical failure, power poles are a max...60' tall? Wth was he doing there. I'm not a pilot but I know enough GOOD small plane pilots to know they wouldn't be there with that plane for no good reason. The previous comment about a crop duster I can more easily understand . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I don't understand, besides why he was so low, is how he didn't end up as a fireball. A metal plane should have made a great conductor for a short. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the wires were not energized prior to his entanglement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

When I don't understand, besides why he was so low, is how he didn't end up as a fireball. A metal plane should have made a great conductor for a short. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the wires were not energized prior to his entanglement. 

It's a fabric covered plane. While the steel landing gear is holding it up, the fabric covered wing is resting on another wire and probably insulated from it. It's happened before. Aluminum planes have hit and flashed.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Ruling out mechanical failure, power poles are a max...60' tall? Wth was he doing there. I'm not a pilot but I know enough GOOD small plane pilots to know they wouldn't be there with that plane for no good reason. The previous comment about a crop duster I can more easily understand . 

The general rule is 500' above ground excepting TO and landing, but, there is an exception for sparsely populated areas and open water which generally states no closer than 500' to any person, building, or structure, so you can legally fly at tassel level over a corn field in a sparsely populated area. The catch-all rule is FAR 91.13 - careless and reckless which generally means you can't endanger anyone or anyone's property. 

So, hypothetically, one could be inspecting a field at tassel level but be careless doing it into the sun and not seeing the towers supporting the wires. If you do something stupid and the FAA doesn't like it, they'll throw 91.13 at you. Wires cannot be seen so you'll see them marked with balls near airports and heliports, some lighted, especially at hospitals.

There are groups of pilots who generally fly light STOL planes in the back country who delight at landing any place other than an airport. Looks like great fun but out west where there are open spaces. It's long been rumored that some spray pilots get nosebleeds if they get higher than 100' ūüėĀ

We have no idea how this individual ended up in the wires so calling for his license is certainly uncalled for at this moment. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, New Englander said:

We have no idea how this individual ended up in the wires so calling for his license is certainly uncalled for at this moment. 

Ill agree with that. Let the investigation happen then decide. 

Lets be honest here. How many of you have been in a car accident, or backed into another vehicle or had your spouse do it.? Should we strip their drivers licenses too? There would be a lot of people hoofing it if that was the case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

possibly trying to land in a field east of the power lines - per youtube response that checked the area - you can find it the comment there 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

There would be a lot of people hoofing it if that was the case.

No-----There would just be MORE people driving without a license...............<_<

Mike

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mikem said:

No-----There would just be MORE people driving without a license...............<_<

Mike

Fair enough 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, New Englander said:

It's a fabric covered plane. While the steel landing gear is holding it up, the fabric covered wing is resting on another wire and probably insulated from it. It's happened before. Aluminum planes have hit and flashed.

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of a fabric covering. Still it must be pretty good insulation since that appears to be a transmission line versus a lower voltage distribution line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of a fabric covering. Still it must be pretty good insulation since that appears to be a transmission line versus a lower voltage distribution line. 

Yeah, lucky for sure. Just cut through fabric and catch a rib or spar and it would likely be a flash. Or, as you said, it may have been off line. It has happened before though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Maybe he watched Second Hand Lions the day before....

...yeah....really neat film.....Robert Duval  always   surprises

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, New Englander said:

Yeah, lucky for sure. Just cut through fabric and catch a rib or spar and it would likely be a flash. Or, as you said, it may have been off line. It has happened before though.

No where near enough insulation in a bit of fabric and dope to withstand transmission line voltages.  It looks as though he was lucky enough to catch the sky wire, the grounded conductor installed above the phase conductors to protect from lightning strikes. And yes, he is not the first pilot to get caught out by power lines and likely won't the last . And others that have been in this situation have been young pilots and old pilots and all ages between. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up around  a guy who was the youngest member of a fairly well to do family.  His first name was METZ.  He always had the largest machines and the first self propelled combine I ever saw. Went to trade school and owned his own machine shop even had a Bridgeport.  When his Father  died he inherited  everything in the family.  Shortly after that he did some housing development and became fantastically rich for awhile and became a private pilot with his own grass landing strip got his own Beechcraft Bonanza.   The  shine was still on the planes paint when he clipped a power line attempting to land  under perfect conditions.  Fortunately there were no passengers on board, official ruling was his demise was pilot error, due to lack of experience. Nice guy always 1 step ahead of good sense.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Ill agree with that. Let the investigation happen then decide. 

Lets be honest here. How many of you have been in a car accident, or backed into another vehicle or had your spouse do it.? Should we strip their drivers licenses too? There would be a lot of people hoofing it if that was the case.

Live with a Pilot sometime, you will hold them to a higher standard too. As new Englander says they’re may be some mitigating circumstances but it sure looks bone headed if you ask me. And yes, if every dingleberry who can’t pay attention in a parking lot, use their mirrors , or stay off Facebook driving down the road had their license revoked then the roads would be a lot safer. Crap can happen when you are paying attention, happens a whole lot more when you aren’t. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...