Mountain Heritage

Tire chains

Just curious - anyone ever seen Trygg chains that would fit a Cub?  Just sitting here thinking it would be a beast if loaded tires and a couple wheel weights, slap on some Trygg chains and then add my far a$$, would make winter work a breeze!!!

I had a set of chains for the Cub 1000. Don’t know where they are now. Don’t know who made the to fit the 12x10.5x23.5 , I don’t  know that was 20 years ago ,sorry 

Didn't know what trygg was. Had to google. They make for atv. Should fit from 8.5x12 to 12x12. Several sellers on line.

I too had to Google them.

Don't see anything specific about that brand.  Plenty of different chains available for GT's out there.  You can get all styles and types for $100 a set or less.  They do make a big difference when running on snow/ice.  I have several sets.  Just bought a new set last year for one of my tractors. You want at least 2 link chains.  Don't get 4 link. 

Went to my local CIH/Cub Cadet/Navistar Truck dealer, who also sold Polaris ATV's, asked at the parts counter if they had any used tire chains.  Parts guy laughed, said Follow me behind the counter.  They had a pile of used chains,  probably 40-50 pair, all tied together in matched pairs with a tag with the tire size and suggested price. I needed chains for my 23-8.50x12 Firestones. Found a pair marked 24x9.00x11 or something similar,  think I paid $30-$35 and they looked almost brand new and fit like a glove!  Only used them two winters.  The year I broke my left tibia on New Years Eve, couldn't run the Super H but could run the Cub Cadet 72 with snow blower while sitting side-saddle!  Run the clutch with my right foot.  Then a couple years later when I got the IH 36 inch blade used them again on the 72.

To my knowledge, Trygg chains were the only ones to have the little stubby tips attached to the chain itself, making them like little studs on the cross chains.  Absolutely rip ice appart if you start to spin with them.  My Grandfather had a set for on his Massey 65 when i was a kid.  That was his tractor with the loader and blower on for snow removal.  No cab, who could afford that back then!  Was just great to have TWO tractors.  Had a Massey 35 as well.  Used the 65 to lean the yard and almost 1/2 km lane.  Ther ived on top of hill, so lots of drifts and blown snowy icey crap to deal with to get milk truck in the lane.  He always said those chains were the best for traction?

Was just a curiosity question.  Chains i have from Miller Tire work well - no complaints.  Definately need chains though around here for snow duty!

4 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

To my knowledge, Trygg chains were the only ones to have the little stubby tips attached to the chain itself,

Nah.  They're called v-bar chains.  Other people make them too.  You can get them on Amazon.  But they are a lot more expensive than a twisted link chain, which is what I use.  I don't have traction problems.  But on my main snow Cub, I have loaded tires, ww's, and a Cozy Cab.  Plenty of added weight for the chains to work.  Winter sucks. 

• Like 1

My local CC/CIH/Navistar Truck/Polaris atv dealer has a parts shelf on the showroom floor with tire chain repair parts. The chains I have for my 6-12 tires are pretty well worn,  I have some V-bar replacement cross chains that I've installed. Pretty rough ride on concrete but Boy do they get a grip.

Place down around Moline, Ill/Davenport Iowa had tire chains they sold that the cross chains had hardened steel blocks 1 inch thick by 2 inches square attached to every other link of the cross chains. A small set of chains for say a 13.6x24 tire like what a small Case construction loader tractor would use would weigh 500#/pair, 250# each chain. And that hard steel block took all the wear from spinning the tires on concrete.  BTO I worked for had a Case 420 Construction King loader tractor to clean all his cattle feedlots with a set of those chains. Chains were probably 10 yrs old when I started working for him, I worked pretty steady for him 5-6 years, and lots of life left in them yet. Tractor had a home-made concrete rear weight block 2 ft x 2 ft x 3 ft. too.

How do you know when to get new ones? They get thin and need replacing? 

54 minutes ago, drglinski said:

How do you know when to get new ones? They get thin and need replacing? 

When thin or crosslinks start breaking......get new crosslinks or chains.

On 12/1/2019 at 5:38 PM, Rainman said:

When thin or crosslinks start breaking......get new crosslinks or chains.

That's the way I do it!