Fuse size?

lbg57

On the old letter series tractors that have a 4 position light switch, what is the amp size of the glass fuse that goes behind the switch? 

The old switch that I have has a 30 amp fuse in it. That sure seems pretty hefty. 

I put a 10 amp in for now. I looked in the operators manual but did not see any mention of a fuse.

I looked in the parts manual and all it says is "fuse" but not what size. Thanks.

I=P/E

wattage of your lights / voltage (6 or12)  will give you their amperage, no need to over fuse, you are better off not. We figure allowable ampacity of wire based not only on   Size and conductor material but also on insulation temperature rating, and whatever rating your insulation had new , it ain’t anymore, so the lower your fuse rating the better off you are going to be. 

A fuse is essentially to protect you from shorts or overload on the wiring.   As long as the fuse is small enough to blow before the wiring starts burning up, its performing the safety feature.  There is no need to put a 3A in if the wiring is sized for 20A, even if your lights only draw 2A.   Of course, its not hurting anything either.  You can always put in any fuse up to the design size, just don't go bigger.

• Like 1