Jump to content

not a gun guy


Recommended Posts

On 11/24/2019 at 6:28 PM, MarkG said:

My friends and I grew up relatively poor. When we got our first guns for bird hunting they were usually single shot 20 gauge from K-mart. A youth size 20 gauge single shot is so light that felt recoil is greater than an automatic 12 gauge! Get him a gun that won't knock him out of the stand.

I never was much of hunter but dad bought my great grandpas 20ga 870 pump when I was around twelve. Not long after that I inherited my grandpa's Steven's 12ga double barrel and his 20ga Steven's single shot. The single shot has a plastic butt and stock. If memory serves me right it ways 3 1/2 pounds. It kicks harder than any other gun I have and will leave you with a hurting shoulder if shot many times. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let him try your .243  

My first gun was a adult sized Remington 870 12 gauge that I got when I was 12. You couldn’t give me enough shells to get tired of shooting it.  It’s just my opinion, but you already have a .22 and .2

30-30 still works for me. Just old school. 

Posted Images

7 hours ago, KWRB said:

I'm one of those grown men. I love my .243. Versatile gun for small(ish) and large game.

First gun parents purchased for me for hunting was a .243.  It will be back out again on Saturday for our 1st day.  Never had a reason or ambition to get another rifle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the great feedback.   I really needed it.  First of all, yes he MUST take a hunters class before hunting.   I am not letting him go until this is completed.  Actually both of us need to attend.  I also need to be educated on several things as well.  I believe the 243 is not an option in the state of ohio.   This is why i was asking.   If he does take an interest, i need to get something and i don't really feel a shotgun is what he needs.    I have a year to research this stuff and as expected you all have offered great advice.  He does have deer hunting in mind and due to our location, i don't see a need to shoot much over 75 yards.   Again, thanks for taking the time to comment.   It is much appreciated.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gh-in-oh said:

Thanks for all the great feedback.   I really needed it.  First of all, yes he MUST take a hunters class before hunting.   I am not letting him go until this is completed.  Actually both of us need to attend.  I also need to be educated on several things as well.  I believe the 243 is not an option in the state of ohio.   This is why i was asking.   If he does take an interest, i need to get something and i don't really feel a shotgun is what he needs.    I have a year to research this stuff and as expected you all have offered great advice.  He does have deer hunting in mind and due to our location, i don't see a need to shoot much over 75 yards.   Again, thanks for taking the time to comment.   It is much appreciated.  

OK, you can check the laws in your state by getting online. They will tell you what's legal for hunting. Where I'm at in MN center fire rifle 22 or larger caliber (that makes 223/5.56, 22-250 and other cartridges legal), certain handguns and shotgun with slugs are legal. Not too far south of me because of population density it's shotgun with slugs only. So check your DNR website.

Now there isn't anything wrong with a shotgun. And a shotgun with a slug barrel is fully capable of taking a deer out past 100 yards. In fact SABOT slugs ( slugs ) with a slug barrel and low power scope can shoot 6-8" groups at 200 yards and have the power at 200 yards take a deer. My wife's gun is a Remington 870 20 gauge youth w/slug barrel (she's 5'3" hence the youth). My MIL has a 6 point mount in her home. She took that with a 20 gauge slug. And if he would want to hunt small game the barrels change out very easy ( change barrel ). 

Rick

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oldtanker said:

... In fact SABOT slugs ( slugs ) with a slug barrel ...

 

I'm not certain, but aren't sabot slugs for use with a smooth (e.g. shot) barrel?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 350 should fit the bill since your in Ohio. I’ve used a 357 Magnum in a 20” carbine the last few years and have been pretty impressed by its abilities, that said a 350 legend is basically a rimless .357 MAXIMUM and should be great on deer sized game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KWRB said:

I'm not certain, but aren't sabot slugs for use with a smooth (e.g. shot) barrel?

No, sabots can be used in rifled slug barrels, in fact that’s what most are designed for.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KWRB said:

I'm not certain, but aren't sabot slugs for use with a smooth (e.g. shot) barrel?

No. The slug still has to be stabilized. So it either has to spin or has to have fins like a dart. Most non-sabot slugs themselves are rifled to produce some spin to stabilize them.

ANd yea, I had to research this before I set my wife's gun up.

 

Rick

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

No. The slug still has to be stabilized. So it either has to spin or has to have fins like a dart. Most non-sabot slugs themselves are rifled to produce some spin to stabilize them.

ANd yea, I had to research this before I set my wife's gun up.

 

Rick

 

huh. Look what I'm learning!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

First rifle I got 41 years ago was a Remington 760 Gamemaster in 6mm (.244). It has killed numerous deer, and I still consider it my "deer rifle", even though I have several other rifles in the safe. I stopped using it a couple years ago when my Great Aunt gave me her Savage 99 in .300 Savage.The first year I wanted to get a deer to share the meat with her, which I did. After she passed, I keep using it to honor her memory since she was the first person I ever deer hunter with.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CC_Ranger said:

First rifle I got 41 years ago was a Remington 760 Gamemaster in 6mm (.244). It has killed numerous deer, and I still consider it my "deer rifle", even though I have several other rifles in the safe. I stopped using it a couple years ago when my Great Aunt gave me her Savage 99 in .300 Savage.The first year I wanted to get a deer to share the meat with her, which I did. After she passed, I keep using it to honor her memory since she was the first person I ever deer hunter with.

I hunt with a savage 99f in .308, was my grandfathers, I just don’t take it out in bad weather. I love that gun. 

My grandfathers best friend had 6mm dunno who made it, he was a little guy and liked the light recoil. Always claimed with FMJ he could shoot through a glass bottle and leave it whole. Not sure why that’s good for deer hunting but he sure was proud of it, and he got his share of venison with it.

i sure do miss them both.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, oleman said:

I like the Ruger #1 Single. Over the years it has been released in almost every caliber imaginable.  Ours is a .458 WM, fine for a 3 round sight in!  In .243 it should be a puppy dog.

Yes but holy$$$

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Yes but holy$$$

I don't see this as beyond reach for a lifetime of use.

Limited Edition 50th Anniversary No.1

  • Model Number: 21308
  • Caliber: 308 Win
  • StockHigh-Grade American Walnut
  • SightsBlade
  • Barrel Length22"
  • MaterialAlloy Steel
  • Twist1:10" RH
  • Capacity1
  • FinishSatin Blued
  • Weight7 lb.
  • Overall Length38.50"
  • Length of Pull13.50"
  • Grooves5
  • Suggested Retail$2299.00
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oleman said:

I don't see this as beyond reach for a lifetime of use.

Limited Edition 50th Anniversary No.1

  • Model Number: 21308
  • Caliber: 308 Win
  • StockHigh-Grade American Walnut
  • SightsBlade
  • Barrel Length22"
  • MaterialAlloy Steel
  • Twist1:10" RH
  • Capacity1
  • FinishSatin Blued
  • Weight7 lb.
  • Overall Length38.50"
  • Length of Pull13.50"
  • Grooves5
  • Suggested Retail$2299.00

How many you want? NC had 39 and AZ has 12 and I can certainly do better than MSRP. 

Its not my thing but I certainly understand. (And I do love my rugers) https://www.benelliusa.com/828u-shotgun

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2019 at 7:01 AM, gh-in-oh said:

I believe the 243 is not an option in the state of ohio.

 

On 11/26/2019 at 7:19 AM, oldtanker said:

OK, you can check the laws in your state by getting online. They will tell you what's legal for hunting

 

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-trapping-and-shooting-sports/hunting-trapping-regulations/allowable-hunting-equipment

 

For whitetail deer in Ohio

Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: All straight-walled cartridge calibers from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 5288IH said:

Why not a 223 less noise so will not scare everything around.

...Had a few blokes from the US, out here hunting...back when my legs were a mite younger........apart from one bloke from Utah......all  the  Americans seemed  to love big calibres !! Farmall 666 for example with his 300WIn Mag...(with great respect to our fel;low  RP member...)...but this was typical...have had the pleasure of hunting mule deer... with "the bloke from Utah ".......and here in NZ we have whitetail......just small  thin skinned animals.....But the boys from the US ..for reasons that has nothing to do with animal size..as I see it...come over so overgunned..its crazy.....,big heavy rifles..need a bloody mule just to carry the cartridges.....

Had an American in Fiordland.......some big animals down there   ..Wapiti/Red cross,    we got a good animal , but the American was stunned to see the NZ professional cullers use.222 Rem for these same deer......''all you need , Mate "..they told him:)...there is a very obvious reason for this......

...so for most of these blokes...a 223   would n't cut it

Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mike_newman said:

...Had a few blokes from the US, out here hunting...back when my legs were a mite younger........apart from one bloke from Utah......all  the  Americans seemed  to love big calibres !! Farmall 666 for example with his 300WIn Mag...(with great respect to our fel;low  RP member...)...but this was typical...have had the pleasure of hunting mule deer... with "the bloke from Utah ".......and here in NZ we have whitetail......just small  thin skinned animals.....But the boys from the US ..for reasons that has nothing to do with animal size..as I see it...come over so overgunned..its crazy.....,big heavy rifles..need a bloody mule just to carry the cartridges.....

Had an American in Fiordland.......some big animals down there   ..Wapiti/Red cross,    we got a good animal , but the American was stunned to see the NZ professional cullers use.222 Rem for these same deer......''all you need , Mate "..they told him:)...there is a very obvious reason for this......

...so for most of these blokes...a 223   would n't cut it

Mike

You must have seen US pickup trucks jacked way up with monster tires and huge exhaust stacks - all used to go off-road, well, off the road and into the driveway. ?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, New Englander said:

You must have seen US pickup trucks jacked way up with monster tires and huge exhaust stacks - all used to go off-road, well, off the road and into the driveway. ?

:lol::lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, New Englander said:

You must have seen US pickup trucks jacked way up with monster tires and huge exhaust stacks - all used to go off-road, well, off the road and into the driveway. ?

Those are call “Mall Crawlers” around here. ?

 

With straight wall cartridges being legal a lot of people use a .357 mag or a .44 mag in a rifle format. That is a pistol round and would be a low recoil 100yard gun pretty easy on something like a whitetail deer. My grandfather gave me his marlin .357 lever gun and it shoots great on paper at 100yards. (We cant use them to deer hunt in Illinois). 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 5288IH said:

Why not a 223 less noise so will not scare everything around.

One is a lot of hunting area here is brush country. 223 will deflect off just a tiny twig. A heavier slower moving round is often more effective. And see below.

18 hours ago, mike_newman said:

...Had a few blokes from the US, out here hunting...back when my legs were a mite younger........apart from one bloke from Utah......all  the  Americans seemed  to love big calibres !! Farmall 666 for example with his 300WIn Mag...(with great respect to our fel;low  RP member...)...but this was typical...have had the pleasure of hunting mule deer... with "the bloke from Utah ".......and here in NZ we have whitetail......just small  thin skinned animals.....But the boys from the US ..for reasons that has nothing to do with animal size..as I see it...come over so overgunned..its crazy.....,big heavy rifles..need a bloody mule just to carry the cartridges.....

Had an American in Fiordland.......some big animals down there   ..Wapiti/Red cross,    we got a good animal , but the American was stunned to see the NZ professional cullers use.222 Rem for these same deer......''all you need , Mate "..they told him:)...there is a very obvious reason for this......

...so for most of these blokes...a 223   would n't cut it

Mike

Most of my fellow Americans who hunt don't shoot. Take out the deer gun a week before season, check the zero and into the woods they go. It's one of the reasons that there are so many hunting accidents. Most folks in the woods are just not familiar handling firearms. You start shooting .222 or .223 and a lot of guys here wound deer instead of getting a good clean kill. I have a BIL who shoots a 30.30 for deer. Never takes a shot over 50 yards and seldom drops a deer where it stands. I've spent a lot of time helping him track wounded deer. Tell him he should practice? You get "I know how to shoot". Another BIL, his brother, I've seen shoot 50 rounds duck hunting in just a couple of hours. End result? 1 duck. I taught small arms in the US Army and I reload rifle, shotgun and pistol. I've been offering to work with both of them on shooting. Even offered to reload some 30.30 for the one. Both have declined.

Funny but here most of these guys own guns. They think they know a lot about them too. Go to an auction that may have a gun or 2. These guys are bidding old, ragged out guns in poor overall condition up higher than the same gun can be bought new. Good example was a Henry Golden Boy .22LR. Gun was banged up. Dented wood and scratched up a bit. They bid it up to 750 dollars plus a buyer penalty of 5% plus sales tax. Same gun new through a gun shop, not a box store was cheaper at 599. Same gun today is under 500 at box stores. Just crazy.

 

Rant over.

 

Rick

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...