gh-in-oh

not a gun guy

Need advice.   My son is taking an interest in hunting.   I have never enjoyed hunting.  Probably because i have always had a few cows in the barn for meat.  Anyhow, the guns i have on farm are just basic 22 and a 243 for critters.   Since he is taking an interest in hunting, i need advice on a gun.  He is only 12 years old.  I have been looking at the .350 legend.  Anyone have and advice on this gun.  good bad ugly?  If you have a better suggestion, please let me know.   Thanks.. 

First we need what he will be hunting and where. Here in Ohio there is shotgun season for deer and you you need to use a deer slug in it.

• Like 2

Let him try your .243

• Like 6

Get him into a hunter ed class.  He may not like it after that.  My daughter and her friend where all fired up about hunting and guns until the did the hunter ed classes. Then it was all boys after that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If he’s 12 I’d say a .243 is perfect for large/medium game. relatively soft recoil, relatively cheap ammo and good ballistics. I know a lot of grown men who swear by it. 

Otherwise you won’t find much more versatile or cost effective than .308 or 30-06, ballistics are close enough on those we could argue for a month and not come to a conclusion using off the self ammunition. Personally I like .308.

270 is a decent choice too. 

Far more Important  what type of gun you get him and and what he plans to do with it. 

• Like 2

What, where and how. What he will hunt, where he will hunt and how the gun suits him, as in fit, recoil and marksmanship. .243 is a fine caliber. Availability and cost of ammo should be considered to help your son become comfortable and good.

My brother in law got his first deer with a 410 . So , I don’t know how your son is physical. But a 12 gauge , I don’t think would a good idea. Looking a 410 has lighter weight to hold on target. So that’s what I think would be a good start in Ohio. 
I carry a four ten also cause I’m lazy old and want to enjoy the hunt 

• Like 1

Use the 243. IF he’s still interested when he’s 18, by him a new gun. I wouldn’t spend $$ just for a faze he might be going through 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

My brother in law got his first deer with a 410 . So , I don’t know how your son is physical. But a 12 gauge , I don’t think would a good idea. Looking a 410 has lighter weight to hold on target. So that’s what I think would be a good start in Ohio. 
I carry a four ten also cause I’m lazy old and want to enjoy the hunt 

.410 is the about the only gun you can not use in Wisconsin to shoot a deer.

In southern Michigan and as I read, Ohio. you are allowed to use a straight walled cartridge of a certain size to hunt during rifle and shotgun season.  I have an H&R single shot  in 44 mag that kills deer far better than paper ballistics would indicate.   For a youngster to hunt deer where  straight walled cases are legal, the 350 should work just fine.  20% less recoil than the 243, reasonable trajectory out to 200 yds or so.  cheaper to feed than the 450 bushmaster (not to mention far less punishing).  probably has an advantage over my 44 mag  when you stretch the barrel a little.  Should work fine. cab 

r

I feel like 350 legend is one of those calibers that has its place but should be the decision of an experienced shooter. .308, 30-06, 270, .243 etc are proven forgiving rounds that will allow the shooter to grow with them and serve them well despite where they may end up hunting. 

That said I will put in a plug for the Ruger American rifle with vortex scope package. It is a fine quality gun but may lack a bit of fit and finish, it will shoot right along with any gun of 3x the cost and has distinct advantages in terms of availability, chambering variety, and flexibility in terms of things like adjustable LOP on certain models and a removable clip on some models. Also compact and youth models, though at 12 compact would be a better choice than youth 

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleVortex/models.html

These are a great value imo, and they offer a compact but not in a package gun. The vortex scores are quite nice. Impressive optics in an economy scope. 

My friends and I grew up relatively poor. When we got our first guns for bird hunting they were usually single shot 20 gauge from K-mart. A youth size 20 gauge single shot is so light that felt recoil is greater than an automatic 12 gauge! Get him a gun that won't knock him out of the stand.

My first gun was a adult sized Remington 870 12 gauge that I got when I was 12. You couldn’t give me enough shells to get tired of shooting it.  It’s just my opinion, but you already have a .22 and .243 as stated. Both are fine for different things. I would start him with the .22 because the noise and recoil won’t scare him at all. It is plenty of gun for small varmits, squirrels, rabbits, and things like that.  If he likes that,  then I would let him use the .243 some. Nothing against larger rounds but a 12 year old (nothing against your son either) doesn’t need a large 30 caliber rifle for anything unless you are going after large game of some sort like Elk, Bear, Moose, etc...  As a hunter safety instructor, I would also recommend taking that class as was mentioned earlier. It will start him off with good fundamentals that he can grow if/how he desires. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

.308 or 30-06, ballistics are close enough on those we could argue for a month and not come to a conclusion using off the self ammunition. Personally I like .308.

I post things without checking but I'm open to correction.

heres my understanding of 30-06 and 308.

Both were developed by the US military. 30-06 stands for 30 caliber developed in 1906. The 30-06 case is larger than 308 because in 1906 the powder available required that much space to produce the desired results. Soon afterward there was a technological leap in gun powder and much less was required to produce the chamber pressures required. If you take a 30-06 cartridge and shake it you can hear the powder shaking in the extra space. The military wanted to redesign the case because there were very slight variations in performance depending how the powder lay in the cartridge when it was fired. The goal was to develop a new cartridge with the exact characteristics of the 30-06 in a case appropriate for the powder. They made the .308 or 7.62X51 NATO.

Rick will probably chime in with a Long and thorough explanation on this but I think your about right on that, I was all horned up to own an 06 but after he provided me with some info, ballistics, etc. I decided it wasn't worth me learning another cartridge and having another when all wanted was a gun I didn't mind getting wet and was completely happy with my .308. 

I also like the length of the bolt cycle on the .308 , it isn't for everyone, but I'm happy wid it. 

243 will kill what ever he can hit I like a 243 for most anything if I need to reach out and touch something I use the 300 win mag

At 12 and never hunted i'd leave the 243 in the house and start shooting with a bb gun teaching to aim and not shoot neighbors cat or cow!

I started hunting starlings at night in barns with a daisy at 9-10 !

Maybe your 22 but like others have said send him to hunters safety.

• Like 2

Kinda Like an oil thread only alot more fun😁

That .243 is a perfect starter gun and will get him to age where can decide if wants to move up to something else. Could conceivably last him the rest of his life. But, it usually doesn't work that way. It is the start to his own personal gun collection. All three of my boys started with a little Remmy model 7 with 4 power scope. That little gun has slayed a lot of deer. I still have it and it will come out on first grandson's (or daughter) opening morning. Good luck!

A suggestion, In our area a large gun shop(Ahlmans) has  a large gun range and does a shooters roundup every year. You can try out various guns sometimes for a small fee(thinking 50 cal), Wouldn't hardly have to field dress. You will need to know what types of guns are allowed for the season. This is where it gets dangerous and expensive as there is Shotgun,Rifle Bow and black powder seasons. Can even hunt with a large hand gun. Try them out and find a combo that works for you.

16 hours ago, MarkG said:

My friends and I grew up relatively poor. When we got our first guns for bird hunting they were usually single shot 20 gauge from K-mart. A youth size 20 gauge single shot is so light that felt recoil is greater than an automatic 12 gauge! Get him a gun that won't knock him out of the stand.

I started out at 12 with a youth model 20 gauge pump action. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it after the first shot I took because I felt the recoil and then started anticipating it before I even pulled the trigger. To this day I'm not sure I can use that gun for the same reason. I've been using a 6mm rifle the last 5-6 years now and have no problem knocking deer over.

My wife started hunting at the same age with a youth 243 and loves it. Still uses it to this day even though she's moved out of the "youth" category by a couple years.

15 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Rick will probably chime in with a Long and thorough explanation on this but I think your about right on that, I was all horned up to own an 06 but after he provided me with some info, ballistics, etc. I decided it wasn't worth me learning another cartridge and having another when all wanted was a gun I didn't mind getting wet and was completely happy with my .308. 

I also like the length of the bolt cycle on the .308 , it isn't for everyone, but I'm happy wid it. 

No need for a long winded explanation. Just look up ballistic charts for .06 and 308 firing the same grain rounds at the same ranges. Just isn't any real clear advantage of one over the other.

Rick 

On 11/24/2019 at 1:36 PM, vtfireman85 said:

If he’s 12 I’d say a .243 is perfect for large/medium game. relatively soft recoil, relatively cheap ammo and good ballistics. I know a lot of grown men who swear by it. 

Otherwise you won’t find much more versatile or cost effective than .308 or 30-06, ballistics are close enough on those we could argue for a month and not come to a conclusion using off the self ammunition. Personally I like .308.

270 is a decent choice too. 

Far more Important  what type of gun you get him and and what he plans to do with it. 

I'm one of those grown men. I love my .243. Versatile gun for small(ish) and large game.

My 2 cents on this subject. The 243 is a great caliber for hunting. Shot placement is the key to using any caliber. I have hunted for over 48 years and used many calibers over those years. My favorite is a Remington  700 in 6mm rem. Same size bullet "243" . For a young hunter I say that is the way to go low recoil and very accurate.

Like I said just my 2 cents.

GTN

• Like 3