Sign in to follow this  
IH Blood 1206

235 magnum clutch

Have a 2013 Magnum 235.  When the tractor is cold or has sat for at least a day, when you first start the tractor and try and move it, the clutch is extremely grabby.  You have to almost let the clutch pedal completely out and it grabs all at once.  There is no easing into it.  Makes me cringe when the grain cart is full and you have to move it, don't want to tear it up.  Anyone know what it could be?  After it warms up/gets used a few times, it acts fine.

42 minutes ago, IH Blood 1206 said:

Yes, we had that done by the dealer.

Probably need to replace the master clutch solenoid and valve assembly.

On 11/25/2019 at 11:45 AM, IH Blood 1206 said:

How bad of a job is this?  

Master Clutch solenoid is on the left side, just to the rear of the steps. Faces outward.

Main thing is to not over torque the parts. about 18 ft lbs on the cartridge and 5-6 ft lbs on the solenoid retaining nut.

Not to hy-jack the thread but I’m having the same issue with my MX240. Would this also be the likely cause and if so is the master clutch solenoid in the same area. 

Thanks in advance, John 

2 hours ago, Weapon said:

Not to hy-jack the thread but I’m having the same issue with my MX240. Would this also be the likely cause and if so is the master clutch solenoid in the same area. 

Thanks in advance, John 

Yes, same spot.

1 hour ago, IH Blood 1206 said:

Any chance that it could be the inching potentiometer on the clutch pedal assembly?  

Doubtful. The potentiometer  would usually be a problem regardless of transmission temperature.

The master clutch valve and coil assembly is cheaper than the potentiometer by about $70.00, and easier to change out.

4 hours ago, IH Blood 1206 said:

Really?  I looked each of them up and found the clutch valve at over 300 and the potentiometer at 155.  What part numbers are you using?

The clutch solenoid is now p/n 51523989 (was 84167521). We showed one in stock at $98.++ I can't get verification of that from home though. Should have saved a snip of the image when I was at work earlier.

The part numbers don't show as supersceding on CIH parts site or Messick's.
Depot inventory shows only a handfull of  84167521 in stock and an ample supply of  51523989.

Just so happened to need to replace an inching solenoid on an MX240.

Not only is the new solenoid 1/3 the cost of the old part, it is also sourced from the USA.

Also note the added screen to protect the spool from debris that might be floating around in the system. 

Third picture shows location on the left side.

4F440C16-E18B-4D1E-9CCE-72916F00089C.jpeg

16C1041F-7259-4C2A-AB7C-D028E5F96B75.jpeg

10E1BE4D-2201-4F21-AE82-FF262E17FC43.jpeg

What would be the reasoning behind a part like that only not working when the tractor is cold or has sat overnight let's say.  It only does it a couple times and then it seems fine.  I guess I would think that the solenoid would either work or it wouldn't?  Piece of debris in between the O-rings?

31 minutes ago, IH Blood 1206 said:

What would be the reasoning behind a part like that only not working when the tractor is cold or has sat overnight let's say.  It only does it a couple times and then it seems fine.  I guess I would think that the solenoid would either work or it wouldn't?  Piece of debris in between the O-rings?

Problem in the spool inside the cartridge. 

Most generally if it changes with temperature it's the spool. It is kind of unusual to act up cold and work fine hot. Could also be a breakdown of the coil but, a new coil to fit the old cartridge is $105.00.  New complete assembly, $98.00.

Messick's is showing the New Holland part in stock, the Case IH 3-7 days out.  I assume the same part?  The New Holland solenoid connect to the MX235 wiring harness?

1 hour ago, IH Blood 1206 said:

Messick's is showing the New Holland part in stock, the Case IH 3-7 days out.  I assume the same part?  The New Holland solenoid connect to the MX235 wiring harness?

Can't figure that shipping time out, there is 408 total of 51523989 in the various depots in the USA, 34 in Canada. Only Springfield in the USA and two depots in Canada show 0 in stock.
The NH should fit.

On 11/28/2019 at 8:19 AM, Weapon said:

Thanks in advance, John 

Did this fix your issue?

1 minute ago, IH Blood 1206 said:

Did this fix your issue?

Haven’t had time to work on it. One of those winter projects after I get my crops off. 

John

Raining so went to dealership and bought the solenoid. Was told I’d have to have the clutch recalibrated once replaced. Is this so or am I being fed a line. 

Thanks,John 

4 hours ago, Weapon said:

Raining so went to dealership and bought the solenoid. Was told I’d have to have the clutch recalibrated once replaced. Is this so or am I being fed a line. 

Thanks,John 

Yes, you will need to run a calibration.

It's not hard, all done through the A-Post. 

Would you like to have the procedure e-mailed to you?

Yes please jrweapon@live.ca

Thanks, John