Sign in to follow this  
Flatbedcowboy

Dt466 vs DT466e questions

Im currently in the market for a medium duty International truck. Something like a 4700. I plan on making it into a trailer toter and pull my stock trailer on weekends etc. 

Im after model years with intercoolers and airconditioning; Im also focusing on 6 or 7 (6+1) speeds. It seems 1991+ are the better choices for those. In 1995 they switched to the DT466E.

It seems that getting the computer reprogrammed on the DT466E is more than likely not going to happen and aftermarket chips/power adders I have read dont do much. I plan on doing turbo and injectors for more power but if I cant upgrade the computer Im SOL right?

So if i want to make it into a power beast (300hp) I should look for model years 1990-1994?

Or maybe a DT466E bobtail truck pulling less than 20,000 lbs would still preform well, without power adders? 

I would like it to pull similar to my 1ton pickup, I know its not going to be a speed demon but would like it to be fun to drive and play around. Eventually Im going to put one of my old Loadstar Cabs on it too.

If you want to play around go with a mechanical 466 with air to air cooling. E models have to many issues, Lot easier to turn a screw then reprogram