TD9 Fuel Injector Pump not putting out on 2 lines

Hi everybody, been down for a while and am just getting back... TD9 1949 Rebuilt head... rebuilt primary in the fuel injection pump, didn't touch the lower section.

She started up on gas fine, but when I switched over to diesel it only worked on 2 cyl's.

Troubleshooting: made sure everything was properly bled, then checked the output of each diesel line to the injector (using the bleeder valve), found that injector 1 and 2 was barely putting out and cyl 3 & 4 worked like a charm. This suggests that the primary pump is working fine.

Prognosis: The primary fuel pump is working fine... it appears that the Issue might be the distribution block (the TD9 sat for about 15 years before I got it and it wasn't working with it was parked... (probably because of a head issue that I corrected with a rebuild). The pump appears to  be working fine up to the D block, and the block is working fine for 2 cylinders, so that indicates to me that the two valves on the D block that are not working are caked or full of gunk? Question: Is it possible that the runners pushing the rods up to the valves in the D block cold be bad or worn so that the valves are not opening up as they should? How would this be checked or verified? But that seems unlikely to me, one bad I could believe but two side by side? Well I guess you never know... that is why I need to figure out how to measure how far the first two push rods come out as opposed to the working two... Some kind of expensive gage I suppose.

The other issue that I have is that if it is the D block, I can't find the spline tool to take the D block apart and put it back together in order to clean it up... any suggestions on that?

Thanks to all that have helped me in the past...

Gary

Lord help us future ain't lookin bright if relyin on my end

Pretty sure I'm on my way to halfzymers

Try taking the inspection plate off the pump and make sure none of the springs are in stuck position. Had similar issue on my 6. Slight tap with hammer freed them right up. They seem to stick if been sitting for a while

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:41 PM, captain_crunch said:

So was MB Cat guess it’s up to us now 

Thanks, I was about to find a hard copy online for $21.00 in Calif. Binder.com I think was their name. I will check that out, but in the mean time, I still think it is a blocked or plugged distribution block, except I can't get it apart thanks to that darn spline tool needed to remove the tips from the block ... that cannot be found. Does anybody have the spec's so that it can be computer cut out of steel?

Yes thank you from the great unfrozen north, it has been warmer here in Alaska than 3/4 of the rest of the lower 48.

I need to work on my old inj.pump so this information is going to come in really handy. My Bosch inj. pump is bleeding fuel out of the weep/overflow hole on back - on the engine side of the pump. The IH inj. pump uses engine oil to lube the pump and returns it back into the block. I've heard of overflow happening to IH pumps and it starts making oil which only makes sense because it would return any fuel bypassing the seals to the engine block.

The Bosch inj. pump oil is a self contained so when the fuel weeps past the seals it flushes the oil out the overflow and fills with fuel.

post-114211-0-53779800-1417337533.jpg

post-114211-0-40346800-1417389437.jpg

post-114211-0-83232000-1417898916.jpg

10 hours ago, Fat Dan said:

Yes thank you from the great unfrozen north, it has been warmer here in Alaska than 3/4 of the rest of the lower 48.

I need to work on my old inj.pump so this information is going to come in really handy. My Bosch inj. pump is bleeding fuel out of the weep/overflow hole on back - on the engine side of the pump. The IH inj. pump uses engine oil to lube the pump and returns it back into the block. I've heard of overflow happening to IH pumps and it starts making oil which only makes sense because it would return any fuel bypassing the seals to the engine block.

The Bosch inj. pump oil is a self contained so when the fuel weeps past the seals it flushes the oil out the overflow and fills with fuel.

post-114211-0-53779800-1417337533.jpg

post-114211-0-40346800-1417389437.jpg

post-114211-0-83232000-1417898916.jpg

not many people on the BB have the bosch pumps. on my td-6 known as 920, I removed the bosch and put on the IH pump because it is common. did you ask on the tractor side of the BBs?? 

thansk

On 11/28/2019 at 1:48 PM, CL-Judge-TD9 said:

Thanks, I was about to find a hard copy online for $21.00 in Calif. Binder.com I think was their name. I will check that out, but in the mean time, I still think it is a blocked or plugged distribution block, except I can't get it apart thanks to that darn spline tool needed to remove the tips from the block ... that cannot be found. Does anybody have the spec's so that it can be computer cut out of steel?

on the td-9 known as the Twin both pumps didn't work but gave a great smoke show in the 4 hours of fun we had. when I went to get the engines going both had stuck racks and plungers. I free them up enough to run to get the 2 stroke oil through the pumps and to see if the engine were worth getting running. I lucked out with both engines in good shape so I took the pumps apart and cleaned up the plungers and racks. the Kleen Flow carb cleaner when sparyed on the pump parts works good because it has a lube where as the Kleen flow brake clean just drys everything out when clean. pay special attention when the plunger comes out of the housing. 50% it might be assemble wrong.

thansk

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Hi, been out fro a while and just getting back to work on the TD-9... I would appreciate the CAD file... 

The latest is that I finally got it to work on diesel on cyl 1 & 2 but the remaining two do not have pressure... I thought it might be the distribution block is jammed or plugged somehow... 

Just can't get the tools to tear it apart... Now I need to find somebody that can fabricate the tool... I appreciate your help and the CAD drawing...

I have noticed that the primary pump pumps out a lot of bubbles... is it supposed to do that? It goes into the filter where the bubbles are removed before going into the plunger... 

standingfree@protonmail.com

Gary, thanks

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, CL-Judge-TD9 said:

Hi, been out fro a while and just getting back to work on the TD-9... I would appreciate the CAD file... 

The latest is that I finally got it to work on diesel on cyl 1 & 2 but the remaining two do not have pressure... I thought it might be the distribution block is jammed or plugged somehow... 

Just can't get the tools to tear it apart... Now I need to find somebody that can fabricate the tool... I appreciate your help and the CAD drawing...

I have noticed that the primary pump pumps out a lot of bubbles... is it supposed to do that? It goes into the filter where the bubbles are removed before going into the plunger... 

standingfree@protonmail.com

Gary, thanks

It must be sucking air from somewhere, I'm quit sure that it is not right to be seeing air in the fuel system - ask me how I know.
Check all connections twice.

Fuel line.jpg