Sign in to follow this  
rocko592018

TD25C with a tile plow

Well we got the engine back in and running today, we went through everything associated with it and I found a lot of small problems and some major ones in the engine. This is one of the most complete jobs I ever did. It is sure nice when they want it all done right. It had 2 blown pistons, bad cam, cracked crank and lots of general wear. The heads are done, top deck of the block surfaced, turbo, injection pump, injectors all rebuilt, cam reground, crank replaced and many new small parts. Complete overhaul package, sleeves, pistons, bearings, rods resized. Every seal and line on the engine was done and new fuel hoses. The short hose from the filter/ reservoir to the injection pump was very undersized, it had about a 1/8” hole through the fitting and #4 hose so it was lacking fuel delivery. The coolant pressure valve in top of the rad had a blown seal so no coolant pressure and all the paint was burned off the turbo drain tube. After the fuel system bled it fired right up snd sounds real strong. 

7EF540CB-F972-4F38-81E5-B71BF8D7C589.jpeg

D570D44B-5910-4EB5-9C0B-03106EEA862D.jpeg

6D1A2962-76A9-45B1-90A7-7B15CCC648D1.jpeg

94226590-4B75-40AE-B686-FBCC3518B328.jpeg

2F62E269-2AFC-4E7B-BF54-1790A39EE168.jpeg

0A7B4025-31F1-42E6-9BF0-349504EFF5A0.jpeg

928950B1-D78B-4950-AF5B-D8FA8AB9641C.jpeg

6F97DB09-61B2-4D31-8D45-3276652546E5.jpeg

65536D93-5308-4BE7-9C08-7F57F210D8AC.jpeg

• Like 1

I see someone welded some high heels on her

Need some carpet to keep your knees and ribs intact

Nice work did they redo the inj pump?

Their is a 20c around here with a plow, they have staggered cleats on it. I never thought my 20c was very impressive pulling, use to pull a one way disk and a scraper, the latter wasn't to bad but she didn't like the disk, to much constant pull and would over heat, a problem with the 20c anyways, larger 4x4 farm tractor would pull circles around it. That pressure relief thermostat in the top of the radiator was where I realized Komatsu was trying to drive Dresser out of business, first one I bought was $60 which was bad enough, 3 years later it was $200, Dresser was gone shortly after that.  

Nice work. 25K in parts?

I did our 25E because of stupidity causing a head to crack. Trans cooler leaked antifreeze into rear housing. Engine ran hot:( Needless to say 14K just in parts later... Rebuilt both heads, recored both coolers and might as well do sleeves and pistons while we have it all apart....just the valve grind gsk set alone was $1100! Those 817's are good, but man they're getting expensive to fix, but then again most things are these days.

That's why I was asking about the 2.25" connecting rods. I have a 817B engine that needs oh'ing and these used pistons out of the 817C would be good enough for that, but the 817B has 2" pins. So if you ever run across a set of 2.25"'s reasonable, I'd be interested.

pede, Dresser had already ruined the Payline Division. Komatslew just finished it off....

PS. I always thought they had a lot of stuff hangin' on that poor water manifold, just the air cleaner alone rattling around. Never seem to give problems though...

Nice Job Rocko !! My knees and shins don't envy you having to crawl all over those "High heels "  ,  I have a good supply of

tough lawn and patio chair cushions to lessen the bruises 😀

What did you use to move the iron around ?

Thanks guys! Yes, the pump was done, we did a very complete job on this tractor. Those are huge high heels eh, notice the plastic lawn chair in one pic, it helped the ole knees a lot and there is still room to stand on the hard bar for the lower things. I thought Dresser kept the tradition going pretty well, they built some good machines and kept the development moving forward, the TD9H and all H series were a huge leap forward in doing away with the PITA blade carrying frames and making proper canopy mounts. The rad pressure valve can be repaired with a new Oring, until they get too baked and the small inner seal goes. Yah, the 20C’s were about the limit of that design, they still built them a couple more years after the 20E was released. The Custom Application machines had a wet clutch and manual transmission so heating problems were much less. 
We had a nice big Kubota tracked skid loader and a JCB Agri loader, (a telescoping boom high lift) so lifting was a breeze. 

The 20c was the biggest dozer we could move without an overweight permit, still needed the overwidth one which got to be a pain, the 20e weighed to much as did our 250C but didn't use it much. Most of the design starting with I believe the B series and for sure the C and later came from a joint venture with a Polish company and IH, which after Dresser went by the wayside became Dressta, they just couldn't stand alone and suffered from poor engineering and quality control.  Our early model 20c had a few problems, fan belts and cylinder sleeve orings or should I say oring are a couple that stick out, it never did like ambient temperatures above 90deg but we ran it for over 30years before it fell to a fire.    

Nice job, looks like you got a decent shop to work in too👍. What vintage would that girl be?  I remember seeing a TD 25 at Allen Olsen auction back in mid 90s. If I’m not mistaken it had a Cummins? 

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:52 PM, D1206 said:

Nice job, looks like you got a decent shop to work in too👍. What vintage would that girl be?  I remember seeing a TD 25 at Allen Olsen auction back in mid 90s. If I’m not mistaken it had a Cummins? 

25C's were made from 1968-1978. Then the E's from 1978-1988. The 25G's had the 1150 Cummins.

5 hours ago, ST-470 said:

25C's were made from 1968-1978. Then the E's from 1978-1988. The 25G's had the 1150 Cummins.

Ok,I was pretty sure it was an 1150, but thanks for confirming it👍👍

Hard to believe but weight wise an 817 is almost as heavy as an 1150 Cummins.