Anybody that can change the spark plugs in Pontiac Aztek in les 5 hrs

Anybody that can change 5 of six plugs in a 2003 Pontiac Aztek in less than 5 hrs , your nominated to the prestigious Gm mechanic hall of fame .
I’m going nominates myself but to proud I got five of six  changed .  I  Had to leave number #2 in fear of a catastrophic failure. So permaplug  does count if it fires. Don’t think I will get into hall of Fame with 5 of Six , but still .
Going to frame the plug wires in the garage to prove it can be done . 

Worst I've had are our vans, I liken it it to putting a 350 in a mailbox and then changing the plugs while looking through a keyhole, or as my grandfather would say, "it's like eating soup out of a jug with a fork."

yes I am glad most of those side ways 6cyl  have 100K plugs

use to change the '70/440 every year,the hood/front end was big as a king bed but you had to take off tire remove inner fender and then  have JUST enough to clear the frame. the heads were iron so little chance of pulling a hunk out with plug

Not being an arsehole but leisurely could do both head gaskets in 8 hours, if you’re not used to them it can seem strange, but starting my auto mechanic career at a GM dealer back in ‘05, that job is a walk in the park, there are worse jobs 

This is what I had to remove to get to a BMW starter. You cannot even see the starter until you get the air box out. The intake manifold has to come off to get to the starter which is attached by one-use, angle torque aluminum bolts. Intake gaskets are square section rings. I'm sure someone who does it all the time could get to it in an hour but first time took me a lot longer.

IMG_3538.JPG

33 minutes ago, New Englander said:

This is what I had to remove to get to a BMW starter. You cannot even see the starter until you get the air box out. The intake manifold has to come off to get to the starter which is attached by one-use, angle torque aluminum bolts. Intake gaskets are square section rings. I'm sure someone who does it all the time could get to it in an hour but first time took me a lot longer.

IMG_3538.JPG

Is that one of those that is supposed to come out through the bottom? 4 bolts and the whole sub frame comes down with the engine?

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Is that one of those that is supposed to come out through the bottom? 4 bolts and the whole sub frame comes down with the engine?

Yeah, comes out the bottom. You can do a transmission and clutch from the bottom, at least I did one on an M3 and it looks similar.

4 bolts and it comes out is sort of an understatement. Unhook lots of crap, pull, axles, driveshaft, exhaust, etc., etc, then you get to lower out. Not something I want to do without the correct fixture/dolly.

11 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Is that one of those that is supposed to come out through the bottom?

To be clear, the starter comes out the top but a complete engine, out the bottom.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, VacDaddyt said:

Is this one of the motors you take the mounts loose and roll it ahead or is it the one the intake has to come off to get to the plugs? Or?

Yep , used a strap ratchet and winched it forward in neutral ,with chalked wheels. 
gave me about something like 2 to 4 inches I think ,maybe less but it was a bear every bolt and nut on back of coil pack and plug wire had to be destroyed to get offs ,every plug needed to have different combinations of extentsion  in order to get enough purchase to break them loose.  ,neck and arms are still sore, rub rash on wrist, could not sleep , withdrawals are worse than the task. Anyway you guys that wrench need an attaboy to do this , amen 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, MTO said:

Replace a simple intake gasket on a GM 3.1. Then we'll talk.

You should have added "and have it not leak coolant into the oil pan" for 3 months."  

Had a GM dealer, replace a lifter under warranty on a 96 3.1 (remember the Corsica),  there never got it correct.  

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

Yep , used a strap ratchet and winched it forward in neutral ,with chalked wheels. 
gave me about something like 2 to 4 inches I think ,maybe less but it was a bear every bolt and nut on back of coil pack and plug wire had to be destroyed to get offs ,every plug needed to have different combinations of extentsion  in order to get enough purchase to break them loose.  ,neck and arms are still sore, rub rash on wrist, could not sleep , withdrawals are worse than the task. Anyway you guys that wrench need an attaboy to do this , amen 

I agree to the people that wrench on these for a living. I sure wouldn't make if I had to now. Had a guy want his A/C lines replaced on a newer F150, I took one look and said he should  trade it off before I would try it.