Littlefeller

Getting old too soon

At 47 things are harder than before but I think it wasn't really noticable until I got the tick bite and Limes disease.

One of the worst things is I get uncomfortable sitting for periods longer than as little as 15 minutes. Some days I feel ok, others it can really bother me. I never had any issues with this before the Limes so I think it is the main factor 

• Sad 2

47 minutes ago, New Englander said:

They ARE too loud. In a few years you'll be saying huh? a lot. I know. I didn't protect my hearing, especially from jet engine but lots of open headers and straight pipes. Wearing $6,000 hearing aids now and still have to ask my wife what someone said. Put the mufflers back on. A couple of horsepower isn't worth it.

The mufflers were gone when I bought them. It's not loud in the cab, just if you open one of the windows. 

2 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

The mufflers were gone when I bought them. It's not loud in the cab, just if you open one of the windows. 

Huh ☺️

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bitty said:

At 47 things are harder than before but I think it wasn't really noticable until I got the tick bite and Limes disease.

One of the worst things is I get uncomfortable sitting for periods longer than as little as 15 minutes. Some days I feel ok, others it can really bother me. I never had any issues with this before the Limes so I think it is the main factor 

I was going to make a smart alec statement about not wanting to sit too much with my bruised tailbone, but after your comment I feel that would be in poor taste.  I've heard lyme disease never really goes away.  Hoping it doesnt limit you too much bitty.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

They ARE too loud. In a few years you'll be saying huh? a lot.

Concur with all you'd said!  And I don't think even the best Starkeys work too well.  Like someone said to me, "Randy, you've got B-25 ears".  And , to tell'ya the truth, don't guess I'd really blame it all on that loud ole SOaB, the straight pipe prolly M had something to do with it!

best, randy

• Like 1

I'm fortunate to still be cooking along pretty well at 64.  I know we're all gonna wear out eventually, but I'm trying, with a fair amount of success, to do it slowly and evenly.

The nice thing for me is the fact that I can turn down work I would have done 10 - 20 years ago and still have plenty to do.  I just decided this past summer I'm not renting a 32' ladder any more - I have a 24' and if I can't reach it with that somebody else can do it.  I only do a floor install once in a while - my knees are holding up well (thanks to glucosamine and fish oil) and I want to keep that going.

Got a little arthur in my hands but boswelia and a calf trachea supplement keep it in check.

The backs of my hands bleed easier than they used to, but it's not much of an issue since I don't take any blood thinners.

Like some of you have mentioned, I can tell I'm not quite as strong as I used to be.  I humped 36 80 lb. bags of concrete premix to the back side of our pool deck this past  summer (not all in one day) and have decided I'll pay more to order light bags if I do that again.  Old man packaging.

No plans to retire any time soon:  just want to work at my pace, slow down very gradually, and keep moving.  I start around 9:00 most days, work till 5 or 6:00 straight through, but work at my own speed.  Work some Saturdays, but usually not long days.  Redhead takes care of the books, insurance, taxes, etc. so I can be a bum part of the time too.

Ditto everyone else on the hearing protection.  I've done plenty of bad things to my ears with firearms, tractors, music, and power tools.  Even driving Romex staples between floor joists is pretty darned hard on the ears.  I'm a lot more conscientious than I used to be about hearing protection, but there's been damage done.

I've heard quite a few people say "if I"d known I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself".  Something for you younger guys to keep in mind.

• Like 3

Wait til your walking across the calving yard at midnight and you trip on some twine string because you didn't lift your feet high enough. The flashlight goes flying 20 feet  ahead of you and before you can get to your feet there are half a dozen cows blown snot down the back of your neck.  The last couple of years  I pushed the calving back to the fist of April and now just take the 4 wheeler and idle through the herd.

• Like 1

For me, the forties was my eyes, started wearing glasses, had to change from reading to by-focal in that decade. Now my late fifties is where things just plain hurt more. Twisted right ankle at 55 and still bothers me sometimes and locks up. At 57 working on a ladder at daughters place felt left knee pop and sharp pain for 6 months, had mri and needed surgery, put it off. Then getting in back of pickup something poped in left ankle, couldn’t walk for a week and still hurts ( btw I now have a ladder screwed to the tailgate). Had surgery for left knee 2 months later, pain gone but gets real sore going up stairs or ladders or if I walk all day. Doc said that he rated the knee a 3 with a 4 being recommended for replacement. Yup fifties has been the pits. I’ll be 58 in January

5 hours ago, Timothy56 said:

before you can get to your feet there are half a dozen cows blown snot down the back of your neck

Funny mental picture; almost blew my coffee out my nose. Like the friendly sow who steps on your foot then pushes you over into the crap.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Indy Farmer said:

You need one of these step kits! And the proper shade of green tractor to go with it.

s-l300.jpg

No, I just need to pay attention to where my feet are at so my a** doesn't have to remind me where the ground is at.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, New Englander said:

Like the friendly sow who steps on your foot then pushes you over into the crap.

No one would say that unless it really happened.  As they say, you can't make this stuff up.

Can't say those steps weren't a factor in my choice.

WP_20190904_001.jpg

I took  a header off the top step of a Magnum at 60.

The fall was easy.

The sudden stop really sucked!

I just laid there a few seconds making sure things still worked.

Things got very black and blue and ached for days.

I now have the Orthopod on speed dial.

He has fixed my right shoulder and knee and the hip is revolting. 

It happens so quick and so easy.

Be careful?

• Haha 1

Yeah yeah....i slipped on last parlor step 2 years ago..good grief i thought yesterday.  Landed right on hip on bottom steel step.  "Ill be fine".  Nest morning 4am...."dear i think we better see the dr..the 20 advil have done nothing and i cant move or think".  Dr said if i had been holding a pop can it would of been enough wt to of broken my hip.  Still know what happened.  After sitting or pitchforking.  Just sore....and shoulders.  The one rib that pops out frikin getting old.  Chrio and massage help for awhile but then pops and whew...hard to sleep some nights.  Sleep...why the heck when you get older and tired-er cant you sleep?  Guys had cow issue at 1230a...got her situated in 20m and lied in bed till 4am.  Alarm at 430....

Fwiw local chiropractor says..."you fellas that work physical got remeber.  You town buddy may not complain as much but think of the hrs and use on your joints and muscles vs him at his desk.  No duh your wearing out.  Like a old pickup vs a Mercedes in town."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

Fwiw local chiropractor says..."you fellas that work physical got remeber.  You town buddy may not complain as much but think of the hrs and use on your joints and muscles vs him at his desk.  No duh your wearing out.  Like a old pickup vs a Mercedes in town."

Isn’t this the other thread?  Miles or years?   Lol

Most of you farmers have 30 years, but have 9,999,999 hours on the tach that broke back in the 90’s

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Loading straw in the 2500 HD about two years ago, tailgate shut and standing in corner moving bales around.  Somehow lost balance and started over side of bed, all I could think was I was going sideways and knee is at top of bed and foot is against bales......managed to do some gymnastic twist and went over backwards like a high jumper.  Lucky I landed so my head took a lot of the load..😐 . Feet hit ground over my head best I could tell.  A big ol boy was helping and said all he saw was feet straight up in the air.  He grabbed my hand and jerked me to my feet, which I immediately went straight back to ground.... Figured laying there for a bit sounded good.  Nothing broke but at 56 it took a long time to get back to normal.  At 58 now I check the ground for clods and holes before slowly jumping off trailers.  40 made a difference but the 50s have ramped that up a notch 

Randy, was that one of those falls when it seems like it takes about 5 minutes to hit the ground?  As opposed to having your feet fly out from under you when you hit glare ice, and it seems like you're down before you even realize it's happening.

8 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

Randy, was that one of those falls when it seems like it takes about 5 minutes to hit the ground?  As opposed to having your feet fly out from under you when you hit glare ice, and it seems like you're down before you even realize it's happening.

I had the glare ice thing happen a couple days ago. Weren't pretty

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Part of it is the genes you get,my cousin and I commiserate the other day. My dad kept going to his upper 70's. My mother had osteo arthritis in her 40's,finally got some relief in her 70's with a knee replacements. 

My 3 male cousins on my moms side all having the same joint pain I have,mostly the same kind of ag work. Three of us have had a hip replaced and so far one side has been much worse than the other and we have each only had one replaced. The youngest of us that had a hip done back in May just had a knee done, and is very down that it is a much harder rehab than the hip.

I always thought I would just keep on farming like my dad did ,he never had arthritis. So with my achy joints not sure how that is going to go. 😉  Does this mean no alzheimers like dad finally had,since my mother never had that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve C. said:

Now that describes what I have noticed lately. Used to be I could react a lot faster and prevent or protect myself from a fall. Now I'm thinking about it as I'm going down and wondering why my arms and legs don't do something to stop me. So far I just bounce right back up and get on with the job. But it reminds me of the old saying, "the older I get, the faster I used to be". 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, red211 said:

before slowly jumping off trailers

I don't jump off anything anymore. I climb down, carefully. No cushion at all left in knees.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, New Englander said:

I don't jump off anything anymore. I climb down, carefully. No cushion at all left in knees.

The dock at the feedmill is the height of of your average five ton straight truck. I used to routinely jump to the ground instead of going around. Haven't tried it lately. Might be best not to.

• Haha 2

Had to rahang a gutter yesterday up and down a ladder. Sure feeling it today especially in left knee.  Not old age just worn out parts. LOL Have to see if IH has new parts no aftermarket. Laughing 

• Like 1