Getting old too soon

Well guys, I was reinstalling the seat base and seat in the 1586 after adding some sound deadening and replacing the shift linkage joints when I went to step down to the ground.  I flat missed the bottom step and went flat on my a** to the ground.  I'm a whopping 5'6" tall, so that is a little ways for me to go, and it flat hurt.  I couldn't help but remember as I was trying to regain my wind how a few short years ago that wouldn't have been anything at all.  Now I could stand to lose 25 pounds if anybody wants them (free), but my oh my that ground is a lot harder than it used to be.  I'm only 37, but I'm starting to realize what Garth Brooks meant in the song much too young to feel this d@mn old, and I'm not sure I like it.  Anyway, other than a bruised cheek or two I'm ok.  Stay safe out there fellers! 😖

• Like 1
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hang in there, tough it out, it gets better when you turn 60😥😋😁

He says after 40 you don't bounce back like you used to. You don't bounce either!!!!!!! Mike

Mmmmmmmmm, lem'me tell'ya then about turn'n 80, Junior. best, randy 

Posted Images

Got any Tylenol 👀

Don't worry im just a little behind you in the age department. 35 at the moment 

My Dad tells my brother and i that it really starts to go down hill at 40 and beyond. (He's 65 now). I have a buddy who's 44 and he says the same thing. He says after 40 you don't bounce back like you used to.

• Like 5

You don't even have to fall at 57.

Been putting new shifter cables in my 7010 this week. Fun with the seat in the way

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tmtbob said:

Speak for yourself. I turned 40 in September and I’ll be damned if I’m getting old

I'll be 40 in April.  40 is the new 21, the hill now crests at 60 I've been told.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

I'll be 40 in April.  40 is the new 21, the hill now crests at 60 I've been told.

It’s definitely not at 40. I’m not as gutsy as I was 10 years ago but I’m far from pushing a walker. I think I’m just as active today as I was back then also

I feel what you are saying for sure. I’m 36 and went over the handlebars of a motorcycle last spring (dirt bike on dirt). I’m not sure why that ditch was cut through the road but I felt like I had been beat up. I still try an go hard but am more calculated than I used to be about risk, that’s for sure

• Like 2

I'm not going down easy. Most days now I still believe I can enter up and take their money. Most days.

I'll be 60 in February. I help my neighbors load fat hogs sometimes. A 300+ pound hog will throw a person around like a rag doll. It hurts a little to get laid out on a cement floor, not to mention the manure that sticks to you! 😛

I must be getting old because I'm thinking my 5288 and 5488 are too loud with the muffler eliminators! But noisy race cars and sprint cars don't bother me so much. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, cobfly said:

Getting old is easy, reconciling it is another matter.

...right on, cobfly !!!!

..one of the most frustrating  issues is the strength  one used to have...... has all but gone....sigh, so for example grass seed   bags these days weigh but 25 kilo's...about 65 lbs..... with beggared  shoulders etc......loading the  disc drill recently was a bit of an act.....just got to adapt ;).......thus the  show keeps going.....

.....and the great unwashed are always saying......''time you retired ' etc......I figure when you quit.....that's when you get ready to hang up the knife and fork....

....and I am mildly amused at some of the comments in this post.....wonder how those  boys will go at 77 ??:)

Mike

• Like 3

I used to think that a good nights sleep would fix anything but at 33 that changed. At 40 I started to learn the easy way to do things so it didn’t hurt the next day. Will be 61 next week , it has been getting harder in the last year.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Hang in there, tough it out, it gets better when you turn 60😥😋😁

Mmmmmmmmm, lem'me tell'ya then about turn'n 80, Junior.

best, randy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
42 minutes ago, mike_newman said:

.....wonder how those  boys will go at 77 ??:)

Mike

Good Lord willing we will still be keeping on, hopefully as well as you are Mike.  I haven't taken a spill in a long time I guess, and didnt realize the ground has gotten that much harder in the last few years 😟.  Just caught me off guard I guess, must be time to be a little more careful.  If I would've slowed down a bit yesterday I wouldn't have a bruised tailbone today.  Starting to learn a lot of things that weren't in the instruction manual🤪

• Like 1

I am 55 and I am starting to think them darn Farmalls and IHs are gaining weight the older they get . Used to grab them pto's right out of them rearends and carry them to the operating bench , now I give it a good grunt , give up and use the cherry picker . 

They have got to be gaining weight . Cant imagine what else it could be ...... well maybe I can just hate to admit it and in denial !!!

In the old days, Colt was the great equalizer, now it is good tools and machines.

!8 years ago I mowed 40 places by myself in six days. ^ of them were cemetery 's.  Now I'm lucky to get 20 done in 4 1/2 days, 4 of them cemetery's.  59 now. Help a lot of other people get their stuff done Hmm maybe that's the problem LOL.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

!8 years ago I mowed 40 places by myself in six days. ^ of them were cemetery 's.  Now I'm lucky to get 20 done in 4 1/2 days, 4 of them cemetery's.  59 now. Help a lot of other people get their stuff done Hmm maybe that's the problem LOL.

Put another 6 years on and let me know how it is going!!!

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

I must be getting old because I'm thinking my 5288 and 5488 are too loud with the muffler eliminators!

They ARE too loud. In a few years you'll be saying huh? a lot. I know. I didn't protect my hearing, especially from jet engine but lots of open headers and straight pipes. Wearing $6,000 hearing aids now and still have to ask my wife what someone said. Put the mufflers back on. A couple of horsepower isn't worth it.

• Like 2

I always thought 40 was the peak of the mountain just didn't realize what a steep slippery slope the other side was

Falling off a roof and breaking both feet a week before I turned 40 probably didn't help

• Like 1