Bright tractor lights on the road!

Okay, I know we all like to see what is going on when we travel on the road in the dark. However the new lights are so bright they really blind the motorists. I am amazed how many people say something to me about the bright lights of the tractors on the road. They say they are so bright they have no idea what is behind the tractor or how wide the tractor is because they are blinded. The other thing is running the white lights on the rear, it also blinds everything and does not help the motorist see. Just run the front white and the flashers like it is supposed to be. I don't have any LED's or a new tractor. A lot of people just know I farm and comment to me about the lights. I can see their complaint as valid. So just for safety reasons for all please consider these comments by non farm motorists that I have heard. Please be safe guys!

• Like 11

Got LEDs on all tractors that I use in the dark, but only go 1 mile at the most down the road in the dark.  If there is a vehicle coming, I pull off and shut em off for them.  They are a blessing in the field, but I sure wouldn't want to meet them on the road, so I try to extend some courtesy to others.  Other people, well....  I wont tell you about the combine than ran me off into the stickers when I want  to pass him.😡

• Like 1

I only have LED's for road lights on my 5288 and they have a low beam. I wouldn't put them in as road lights unless they have a low beam. Just those and the flashers are on when traveling on the road. Some people leave all the available lights on for road travel and when meeting them it's dangerous. I just keep my eyes watching for the ditch when meeting those jokers. 

Or some of these guys who mount 2 feet wide LED light bars on the roof of their truck or the grille guard. Why do they need them on the road? :(

• Like 2

I have LEDs all over mine but I never go on road at night so it does matter but I have met 4x4s with them light bars on and it’s bad .The way people drive around here I try to move about daylight on Sunday if I can.

• Like 1

New cars and pickups are just as bad. Really wears on my eyes. Led signs going through towns and emergency vehicles give me sensory overload. Love the LED's bit they are almost too bright in certain situations.

• Like 2

Only place leds, or any other super bright lights,  are nice are when your in the drivers seat. If your anywhere else on the road meeting them they suck. No matter what angle im at they always seem to be shinning right in my eyes.

• Like 3

No LED lights on anything here but the 340 since it was born with them. So far I can see plenty good enough yet with the factory lights going way back to 856 era. I'm not going to spend the money to switch even the ones most used after dark over to LED. I sometimes feel it's a small fad for people who do it so they can say they have them. Just my opinion only.

7 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

I think the worse ones are police cars! Headlights so bright you don’t see the emergency lights! 

Or....The emergency, red/blue lights are so bright you cant see well enough to figure out what's going on. Had a cop standing next to his car waiving the traffic around but everyone was so blinded they couldn't see him!

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, TomH said:

Or....The emergency, red/blue lights are so bright you cant see well enough to figure out what's going on. Had a cop standing next to his car waiving the traffic around but everyone was so blinded they couldn't see him!

This too! Flashing lights are going to get your attention, but if they’re so bright you can’t see, they could also cause a tragedy 

• Like 2

And the bright bright running lights that people run in the daytime can make it harder, not easier, to see vehicles that don't have them on.

Running on the road with field lights on. If it isn't illegal, it ought to be. I don't see it often here but I have met one on a narrow road. Completely blinded me so I just pulled to the shoulder and stopped. Let him work his way around me as he could obviously see a lot better than I could with the blinding lights in my eyes.  The fascination with the LED fad has not affected me yet. I can see good enough with the original factory lighting. Never much traffic on the roads when I move but I'll have the flashers and road lights on, nothing else. 

8 hours ago, TomH said:

Most if not all LED flashing emergency lights have a nighttime dimming feature. I am of the opinion that it never gets used.

I don’t like the bright headlights, oem or after market, any more than you guys. I have been thinking that I should wright the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles and voicing my opinion.

• Like 1

Make absolutely sure you are legal when driving on the roads, over width, at night.

Check with your Sheriff, States Attorney or County Prosecutor specifically about being over width after hours?

In SD it states:

32-22-2.   Movement of load or wide farm machinery during darkness as misdemeanor. It is a Class 2 misdemeanor for any person to operate or move, or cause to be operated or moved, upon any public highway on the state trunk system, any load, including farm machinery or implements of husbandry, which exceed the width limitations prescribed by § 32-22-3 during the period of day between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise on the following day.

Source: SL 1949, ch 39; SDC Supp 1960, § 44.0336-1; SL 1978, ch 158, § 45; SL 1984, ch 230, § 2; SL 1987, ch 234, § 1; SL 1991, ch 258, § 1.

In the event you are out on the road in South Dakota after hours and some idiot runs into your tractor, or what ever that is over width, you are at fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just sign the farm over to the idiot and especially if there are serious injuries or death.

If the law says you shall not be on the road, you are at fault, no matter how many lights you had on

It is not worth sticking your neck out, liability wise, to be out on the road after dark.

The time you save is not worth the loss of the farm and your livelihood.

This happened a couple of years ago.  It was at 5:40 a.m. and he had the toolbar unfolded.  I'd speculate that his field lights were on and may have kept her from seeing the toolbar.

I remember that another article that I read at the time said Mr. Meyer was known to move equipment in the unfolded position.

https://www.newspressnow.com/news/local_news/woman-killed-in-predawn-accident/article_83a6b36e-19e3-5fe7-a1a8-7559353385f2.html

On 11/22/2019 at 6:00 AM, Ihfan4life said:

I think the worse ones are police cars! Headlights so bright you don’t see the emergency lights! 

I got followed by one last evening while I was on my way taking my family out to dinner. Got right on my a$$ and stayed there for three or four miles. I slowed down and hugged the shoulder a couple times to try to get him to go around me but he wouldnt. I'm actually surprised they didn't pull me over for weaving in my lane. I kind of wished he did because I wanted to tell him what I thought of his lights. After he passed me he did the same thing to the car ahead of me.

On 11/22/2019 at 5:50 AM, sandhiller said:

New cars and pickups are just as bad. Really wears on my eyes. Led signs going through towns and emergency vehicles give me sensory overload. Love the LED's bit they are almost too bright in certain situations.

Bingo

I agree the new vehicles can be too bright, my friend’s 2014 Sierra only lights another 6 feet higher of hydro pole vs the low beams, people constantly flash at you in that truck but it is how it was built, I drive old cars as much as I can, it’s interesting to note how much I get flashed when driving with high beams on in the daylight, it’s the four sealed beams that lets others know, not that I try to but all new cars since 1990 have daytime running lights in Canada, so you turn them on because when you don’t have the lights on in daylight people flash you too, you get used to seeing the DRLs

The tractor I used to move snow with has a set of LEDs front and rear but they are directed down to just behind the blower and just in front of the bucket, I would leave them on when on the road in bad weather because motorists that are not equipment savvy are less likely to pay attention to cab mounted flashers, and it made the machine way more visible, if those lights were aimed for field work than I wouldn’t use them on the road 

• Like 1

Seems to be a prerequisite to run with all the field lights on the highway if you want to work for a custom manure hauler. 

Should never have more than the headlights and flashers on while traveling the road

• Like 2