Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

Missed out on a good one yesterday

Drove by the dorset firehouse yesterday to see their brush truck stripped sitting by the road . By the time I shagged down the chiefs number it was sold

78’ k30 , DRW, C+C flatbed, 3sp auto Bought new........................................wait for it ..................................................................6k miles on the clock

it sold for $5000.00

😩😩😩😩😩😩😡🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

32488FC0-C2A2-4B15-88DB-0ACD13F6B53F.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Drove by the dorset firehouse yesterday to see their brush truck stripped sitting by the road . By the time I shagged down the chiefs number it was sold

78’ k30 , DRW, C+C flatbed, 3sp auto Bought new........................................wait for it ..................................................................6k miles on the clock

it sold for $5000.00

😩😩😩😩😩😩😡🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Day late, dollar short 😢

That’s my kind of luck

Good looking truck. Liked that body style.

Holy moly, ya I always wished to find a crew cab square body chevy from a fire department but ended up buying an airforce truck, not as low miles but fairly rust free20190921_142059.thumb.jpg.d56475887438b991401a3c61f63d4874.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

it sold for $5000.00

😩😩😩😩😩😩😡🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Sweet, but, dually adapters or full axle? Thing with a fire truck is they sit, sit, sit, get the crap kicked out of them then sit, sit, sit, get the crap kicked out of them. Just trying to make you feel better since you missed out. Would have been a neat old girl. I really liked the looks of those 73 to 79 Chebbies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusty shackleford said:

Holy moly, ya I always wished to find a crew cab square body chevy from a fire department but ended up buying an airforce truck, not as low miles but fairly rust free20190921_142059.thumb.jpg.d56475887438b991401a3c61f63d4874.jpg

Is that a Cummins badge I spy? 

• Like 1

Just now, IH766 said:

If that is the truck that I think it is, then we want more pictures and the full story behind it!!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

If that is the truck that I think it is, then we want more pictures and the full story behind it!!!

• Like 4

there's fiscal responsibility for you. if it had gone out to well publicized bids, I bet the FD would have gotten way more than $5k for it.

• Like 1

In my hometown,  the old city vehicles are sold on auction.  Pickup trucks are passed down from one department to another.  By the time the parks department is thru with them, they are usually rough.  Police department trades them off at dealership. The old Crown Victoria's are Ford SUV'S  now.

3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Sweet, but, dually adapters or full axle? Thing with a fire truck is they sit, sit, sit, get the crap kicked out of them then sit, sit, sit, get the crap kicked out of them. Just trying to make you feel better since you missed out. Would have been a neat old girl. I really liked the looks of those 73 to 79 Chebbies.

Yes something funky about the wheels on that truck.

I think K30 DRW trucks had Bud wheels all the way around.

Perhaps the K30 SRW trucks has stamped wheels  like that truck has on the front  and the up-fitter who made it into a brush truck put the DRW on?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Perhaps the K30 SRW trucks has stamped wheels  like that truck has on the front  and the up-fitter who made it into a brush truck put the DRW on?

More than likely swapped in the full dually axle. I have seen adapters work but they can be a weak point. We do have one grass rig that has adapters with two SRW rims. It looks wonky although has never given us any trouble and only have to carry one spare. Still don't like it and would never do it again. 

Why duals on a bush rig? Would singles not be better for off road? Love the look of the squarebody dually's just wondering why they'd have those on a bush rig

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I didn't think GM had a factory built 4x4 dually until after the squarebodies?

4 hours ago, IH766 said:

6bt cummins with billit turbo, intercooler , nv4500 5 speed,  p pump around 325 hp

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 495man said:

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I didn't think GM had a factory built 4x4 dually until after the squarebodies?

A quick search of the web for pre square body and I didn't see the regular cab flat beds, I am pretty sure I have seen some before 

The 73 and up yes they did make factory built 4x4 dually used to be pretty common around here as plow trucks 

Not sure if this is a conversion or factory but never seen one before 

attachment.php?attachmentid=1520702&stc=1&d=1460291772

17 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

6bt cummins with billit turbo, intercooler , nv4500 5 speed,  p pump around 325 hp

was that something you did rusty or did they make them like that for the AF? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IH766 said:

Why duals on a bush rig? Would singles not be better for off road? Love the look of the squarebody dually's just wondering why they'd have those on a bush rig

weight carrying and stability. Lotta weight on the back of a grass rig. If you blow a tire you still have one to maybe get you into to the black (if you are not there already). We have both and my dually will get around just as good as the SRW's. Maybe even little more flotation in the sand

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

A quick search of the web for pre square body and I didn't see the regular cab flat beds, I am pretty sure I have seen some before 

The 73 and up yes they did make factory built 4x4 dually used to be pretty common around here as plow trucks 

Not sure if this is a conversion or factory but never seen one before 

attachment.php?attachmentid=1520702&stc=1&d=1460291772

Definitely extended cab conversion, wonder if they didn't go ahead and convert to dually also. Front locking hub doesn't look period but could have been changed later or I could be wrong😄. Teacher in HS had a sweet 78 K30 dually, 4x4. 😎

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

Me and a buddy did it, in air force it had 6.2 diesel amd th400

• Like 3

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

5 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

Fortunately for us we have BJ Kline to find things at the speed of lightning!!

I had remembered seeing this truck and thinking “WOW!  It is even already my color blue!!!”

The second quote is a link to the building of the blue truck.  Check it out!!

Edited by 1586 Jeff
Forgot to add the link!

4 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Its a 3/4 with a drw set up, 3500 had a straight rear frame no drop in front of rear wheels

2 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

Me and a buddy did it, in air force it had 6.2 diesel amd th400

That's perfect. Already plumbed for the diesel . I'd sort of like to do that with a 3500HD

4 minutes ago, shot_gun_red said:

Its a 3/4 with a drw set up, 3500 had a straight rear frame no drop in front of rear wheels

K30 pickup chassis would have the drop.

K30 cab and chassis would have been straight.