MTO

Mileage or age

Honda Civic/accord. Try to find one of those with under 150k on it for 3k.   I'm as domestic as anybody, but I put my daughters in civics 5 years ago, and I'm never going back.  Change oil n Go.  

4 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Mechanics probably hate those little cars.....

Honda wrenches are different. They love seeing miles. Guys at the dealership got a huge kick out of me using a Ridgeline as a farm truck.

1993 Chevy pickup bought new by me. 

Drove it approximately 4000 miles a year until 2006 then it started getting more miles on it. 

Rotted out and wouldn’t pass inspection with 75,000(?) miles on it. 

I think that question you’re asking has a million different answers 😳 It depends just doesn’t seem to be the one you’re looking for but... it depends 😎

Honda wrench? Oh I have that  wrench. It's 8mm on one end and 10mm on the other. All a Honda  guy needs. Other than the lug wrench and one for the drain plug.  One of them, the '10 I think, has "oil drain" cast into the aluminum  base of the engine with an arrow pointing to the plug. A hook on the bumper is labeled "tow" and points under the car are marked "jack".  Now, to us this seems ridiculous but think of it from the standpoint of a guy or kid that might not know anything, but is trying to learn.  I think it's pretty neat. When's the last time a domestic did Anything to help a guy wrench easier himself. 

'99 Honda civic. 168k miles. 1 set of rotors/drums, ($150) two sets of pads/shoes, One shift cable ($100)  and one lower ball joint (25?). Used as a fam car for the last 5 years of its life. Sold Instantly on craiglist the day I decided to list it. Drove it to the guys house.  Ooo, I put an alternator and belts on it once too. It Started throwing Sparks.  

30 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Honda wrench? Oh I have that  wrench. It's 8mm on one end and 10mm on the other. All a Honda  guy needs. Other than the lug wrench and one for the drain plug.  One of them, the '10 I think, has "oil drain" cast into the aluminum  base of the engine with an arrow pointing to the plug. A hook on the bumper is labeled "tow" and points under the car are marked "jack".  Now, to us this seems ridiculous but think of it from the standpoint of a guy or kid that might not know anything, but is trying to learn.  I think it's pretty neat. When's the last time a domestic did Anything to help a guy wrench easier himself. 

Did the starter on my Ridgeline. Only lasted 347 ,000 miles. Used the 8 ,10,12 and 14

• Like 1

Serious. I dropped the fuel tank out of one, replaced ball joints, used about three sockets toal.   Ooo, and the metal tank in the '99 civic still looked great at near 20 years old in NY.  A strap looked thin, so I replaced them and dropped tank down enough to look it over, through the handy dandy rear seat fuel pump access hole.  Ford metal tanks didn't use to last much over half that long back when the roads had less crap in them. 

Odd that many, if not most, lean towards age.

But hours on a tractor of any era are #1.

Hmmm...

3 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

I think that question you’re asking has a million different answers 😳 It depends just doesn’t seem to be the one you’re looking for but... it depends 😎

This seems to me to be the whole thing in a nutshell.

45 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

This seems to me to be the whole thing in a nutshell.

4 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

1993 Chevy pickup bought new by me. 

Drove it approximately 4000 miles a year until 2006 then it started getting more miles on it. 

Rotted out and wouldn’t pass inspection with 75,000(?) miles on it. 

It's not a trick question.

Simply go car shopping with $3000 for someone who needs a car and u care for and you have to fix it's problems that it has. 

We r not all young or wealthy. 

2 hours ago, MTO said:

Odd that many, if not most, lean towards age.

But hours on a tractor of any era are #1.

Hmmm...

Hours don't mean much to me on a tractor. Condition is King in comparison to the price

14 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

If I was that age, I'd probably keep fixing the car I have. 

16 hours ago, Nebraska Cowman said:

Age scares me more than mileage. If I were 80 years old I wouldn't be looking at $3000 cars. I'd buy new or walk.

I plan to be dead by spring, I wonder if she likes gm trucks?

for real though mark, have you considered a low mileage economy lease? If she has no trade a basic driver can often be had pretty reasonable. And you really aren't loosing anything if you aren't trading in something you already own. Most lease programs come with a maintenance plan, she would have worry free modern transportation, probably for a similar price. 

52 minutes ago, MTO said:

It's not a trick question.

Simply go car shopping with $3000 for someone who needs a car and u care for and you have to fix it's problems that it has. 

We r not all young or wealthy. 

For real, check out the lease price on the cruze 

image.png

I agree it has got harder to find a deal, but seriously MTO, a mechanic of your stature can surely find a 500 dollar car that’s solid enough for you to totally gift all your time to make it a dependable machine hahaha 

• Haha 1

Have you considered  a Pontiac Aztek ? 
only driven in Northeast Ohio , to many problems to list ️Starts and Stops 

• Haha 1

Go to a big junkyard. As them

Those boys know what runs forever.

Well, how’s the search going?

I`m not onboard with the high mileage thinking.

Maintenance  records are rarely available and imo, age is not so much a factor. 

My search locally failed then went further out to no avail.

Brought search back local and a 06 Buick LaCrosse popped up w/130k for $2k.

Owner brought to my shop and left it for my inspection.

How often does THAT happen, eh?

Pointed out a couple issues and I bought for $1300. 

She`s on the road again!!!

I am tickled cept for the backlog of cars in my lot. 

Be working the wkd it appears. 

Thanks for all the replies boys!

• Like 3

We have a 2013 car with 23,000 miles on it that I paid $2500. for  because our insurance comp totaled it instead of repairing it for hail damage.  They paid me the blue book value and sold the car to me for the salvage value  of $2500.  The car is in perfect condition EXCEPT it has hail hits everywhere, nothing broken or structural  damage and would cost a fortune in body work, it's not going to be a looker but i could care less.  So now we have a perfectly good car and money in the bank for repairs or what ever. Only down side I see is the Insurance company would not re insure for full coverage.  If someone could could find a vehicle like this it is only worth $2500!!! It does not have a salvage title either!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oleman said:

We have a 2013 car with 23,000 miles on it that I paid $2500. for  because our insurance comp totaled it instead of repairing it for hail damage.  They paid me the blue book value and sold the car to me for the salvage value  of $2500.  The car is in perfect condition EXCEPT it has hail hits everywhere, nothing broken or structural  damage and would cost a fortune in body work, it's not going to be a looker but i could care less.  So now we have a perfectly good car and money in the bank for repairs or what ever. Only down side I see is the Insurance company would not re insure for full coverage.  If someone could could find a vehicle like this it is only worth $2500!!! It does not have a salvage title either!

That’s a good point and I have a ball peen hammer🤔

• Haha 1

I pay a premium for lower miles and condition of interior and exterior.   

the year doesnt really matter to me.

• Like 1

I live in the rust belt.  Cars rust off before they wear out.   Now that they cost so damn much they rust off before they are paid off.   Mileage is the factor as cars are rare to last more than 15 years 

Customer bought a 97 Lincoln Town Car last year for $10k.

28K miles.

Dealer had it gone over with new brake/fuel lines, tires, brakes and a wax job.

Customer LOVES it till the other day when it wouldn`t start.

AAA hauled it to me and with no codes, I was searching for the issue.

Would run but no idle.

Cleaned TB which wasn`t dirty, pulled egr and it tested ok.

IAC was working normally.

Stumped.

Then I noticed the smoke when it did start. Lots of smoke.

Kinda like when the old fuel pumps filled the crankcase with gas.

Pulled the dipstick and voila!

2,5 quarts over.

Local quick lube serviced it last week.

Sucked a few quarts out, topped off to full, shot some air intake cleaner through her and took her to the highway for some WOT runs.

Purrs like a kitten. 

Customer left here with my bill and was heading to quick lube for a chat. 

Such a simple thing.