MTO

Mileage or age

Been shopping for a used car for my 80 yr old sister.

$3000 is her ceiling.

I have researched/called/texted almost 70 car sellers over the last 3 weeks.

What an education.

Had NO idea used "junk" brought $4k!

I had reached the point of giving her my Caravan Del Grande just so I could quit shopping.

Then a feeler I sent out weeks ago paid off and I think I found a good car for a fair price.

Seller is dropping car at my shop for me to give it the once over and said keep it as long as needed.

WOW!

Now comes my question.

Do you put mileage or age ahead when finding an equally equipped/condition pair of vehicles. 

Conditions are similar but one is many years older with 90K and other is many years newer with 160k. 

Myself, I want the low miles. 

But, thats me. 

• Like 1

I would guess she isnt going to put a ton of mileage on it therefore I would say a car a few years old with 160k is much better then a 20 year old car with 90k miles.  This is coming from a guy driving 2002 2500hd with 260k and a Jetta tdi with 160k.  I havent had any major problems with either vehicle.  Mileage doesnt scare me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I usually try to guess if they maintained and did service on the vehicle.    A 90000 mile car that did low mile trips would be worse I would think than the 160000 mile one that ran long highway trips.    It’s a crap shoot either way.   There is a lot of junk out there.     Good thing she knows a mechanic she can get a family discount from!😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another factor is future repairs. The older the vehicle the more apt a person is to have issues finding parts. If it isn't a vehicle that was popular or was junk to start with used parts can be hard to find too.

Rick

Mark, you see more than I do or probably many on here but I’ve found age deterioration plays a big factor. My utility has 75k on the clock and has needed one heck of a lot more than my 14 with 105k 

Age is definitely a factor but so is the maintenance. My Mother has a 97 Subaru Outback with about 81K on it, low miles for the age but she has the car serviced and thoroughly checked out at least twice a year. It is in very good garage kept condition. It’s also true that a fairly recent car with high mileage could also be well maintained and also in great shape. But either could also have been driven hard and put away wet as it were.... If it were possible to access any maintenance records I would go with the one that appears to have had the best care. How old is the 90 K one? 1963? Or a bit later?😉 We have an 03 BMW 525 with 179K and it runs and drives beautifully.

3 minutes ago, TomH said:

Age is definitely a factor but so is the maintenance. My Mother has a 97 Subaru Outback with about 81K on it, low miles for the age but she has the car serviced and thoroughly checked out at least twice a year. It is in very good garage kept condition. It’s also true that a fairly recent car with high mileage could also be well maintained and also in great shape. But either could also have been driven hard and put away wet as it were.... If it were possible to access any maintenance records I would go with the one that appears to have had the best care. How old is the 90 K one? 1963? Or a bit later?😉 We have an 03 BMW 525 with 179K and it runs and drives beautifully.

It’s amazing what maintenance does, my wife’s 99’9-3 is like getting in a new car 135 on the clock

Every year you drive a vehicle in PA it reduces it's life expectancy by three years. Miles don't bother me much. Rusting out does . My last 3 suburbans I ran to an average of 205k before scrapping them . I got them at around 160k . Our "new" suburban we got with ultra low mileage as it was @ 144 when we got it 

I would go with the one that looks to have had the better care and maintenance. That said i would tend to favor lower miles too.  But how many years older might sway my vote too. When looking for a work vehicle i usually shoot for one within 8 to 10 years old and around 70 to 80k for miles if i can find it.

Not a gm guy but if either is a 3800 v6 they are hard to beat,  run forever and dont give a lot of trouble , which you all know.

I'm with the age is more important than mileage crowd, it's no secret that a vehicle will rot away sitting in one place, condensation build up, mouse damage, etc will kill a car as fast as salt. Then, when I see something with low mileage for the age I start to wonder what was wrong with it that made it not get used. My brother had a nice looking Saturn with what seemed to be low mileage, but that was because the car was totaled and sat in Dad's barn for 7 yrs before it got put together and back on the road. My GP spent a yr in the garage because I was too lazy to replace the steering rack/pinion unit, my Suburban sat nearly a yr due to a blown up engine... didn't seem like the mileage was so high anymore after I didn't drive them for a yr or two.

I go for a model that they sold a lot of and have new and used parts readily available. These chebby impalas we've been running the last few years seem to fit the bill. They seem to run up to 300k with cheap repairs. They do have their issues just like everything else....

• Like 1

Age scares me more than milage. The milage numbers stuff made in the last 15-20 years make is astounding compared to when we were kids . In school I drove 7-8 year stuff that approached 100k. Petrified of major break downs. Today that's just broke in

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nate said:

A 90000 mile car that did low mile trips would be worse I would think than the 160000 mile one that ran long highway trips.

I agree completely.

And it's usually hard to find out, but did the previous drivers ride the brakes, etc.  Bad drivers kill cars so much faster.

A lot of Highway Mileage isn't good in the rust belt with the liquid car rot they poor on the roads these days. 

SALT!!!!!!!!

We might have to explain this to our brethren lucky enough to not live in THE RUST BELT.

I would GLADLY pay a premium for a 20 year old vehicle from the Carolinas, Kansas, Idaho, Arizona, et cetera over an identical mileage and maintenance vehicle from New York.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1586 Jeff said:

SALT!!!!!!!!

We might have to explain this to our brethren lucky enough to not live in THE RUST BELT.

I would GLADLY pay a premium for a 20 year old vehicle from the Carolinas, Kansas, Idaho, Arizona, et cetera over an identical mileage and maintenance vehicle from New York.

Hehe:ph34r:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Hehe:ph34r:

Zip it you!!!!

You just had to poor salt in my wounds this summer by saying that the paper build stickers on the frame of your quarter million mile Dodge were starting, yes starting to peel away.  And the frame on your Dodge out there is cleaner than a 1 year old truck here!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Zip it you!!!!

You just had to poor salt in my wounds this summer by saying that the paper build stickers on the frame of your quarter million mile Dodge were starting, yes starting to peel away.  And the frame on your Dodge out there is cleaner than a 1 year old truck here!

Unless the older low mileage car is a '70 Chevelle with a LS-6 454 and Muncie 4sp, I Would go with Newer higher mileage car, change fluids, belts, battery, lower mileage odometer from salvage yard, make sure tires are good, shampoo carpets, fuzzy dice on rv mirror, pillow on drivers seat and it is golden. A car any sister would be proud to drive🤗

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Unless the older low mileage car is a '70 Chevelle with a LS-6 454 and Muncie 4sp.   🤗

I am looking for a car MTO if you find this one at a poor man's price ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Age scares me more than mileage. If I were 80 years old I wouldn't be looking at $3000 cars. I'd buy new or walk.

1 hour ago, Nebraska Cowman said:

Age scares me more than mileage. If I were 80 years old I wouldn't be looking at $3000 cars. I'd buy new or walk.

If I was that age, I'd probably keep fixing the car I have. 

• Like 1

id buy something you like to work on as you likely will be working on either of them with the family discount if there are any issues with it regardless - only thing on low miles cars/age is teh rubber stuff usually like belts/seals/etc... you know the drill unless its in the salt and then of course brake lines and everything else

I like a lot of the older stuff just cause its easier for me to work on and yes on the 3800 gm engine, those have treated me very well over the years to the tune of over 700K miles on two of them. both went over 300K before the rest of the cars were junk

some cars under disguise that are great beaters in disguise

Geo Prism = Toyota Corolla 

Pontiac Vibe = Toyota Matrix

You can get older buick lesabres/grand prix/pontiac montana/monte carlo/impala with 3800s in them but they are getting some age on the buicks the grand prix would be the latest in them i believe. You can get grand prix and lesabres around here all day long for 3K and in descent repairable shape. Wheel bearings were the biggest failure in them for me. 

Mom bought a low mile lesabre one of the last few years they made that model i believe. She bought it when it was 5 years old more or less. Think she has 50 on it or less now still. Might be her last car. Who knows. Its still a pretty nice car. 

On 11/20/2019 at 7:09 PM, MTO said:

Been shopping for a used car for my 80 yr old sister.

$3000 is her ceiling.

I have researched/called/texted almost 70 car sellers over the last 3 weeks.

What an education.

Had NO idea used "junk" brought $4k!

I had reached the point of giving her my Caravan Del Grande just so I could quit shopping.

Then a feeler I sent out weeks ago paid off and I think I found a good car for a fair price.

Seller is dropping car at my shop for me to give it the once over and said keep it as long as needed.

WOW!

Now comes my question.

Do you put mileage or age ahead when finding an equally equipped/condition pair of vehicles. 

Conditions are similar but one is many years older with 90K and other is many years newer with 160k. 

Myself, I want the low miles. 

But, thats me. 

In central NY, age means more to me. If the mileage is not commensurate with the age (high mileage), you can assume it's a lot of low load highway miles. Conversely, if grandma is driving a mile to the corner store for milk or eggs once a week, but it includes wintertime, there's still a steady coating of salt and sand on it, regardless of the miles.

My 2.5 year old Malibu is about to roll over to 100k, and the value is certainly closer to a "normal mileage" 2.5 year old car than it is to a "normal age" 100k car.

Clear as mud?

• Like 1