Sign in to follow this  
1566 3588

Winter Wheat

Trying winter wheat for the first time in south central WI. Planted it Oct. 19 and it is still not up. We have had temps anywhere from 4° to 50° and a few accumulating snows since it was put in. It has germinated but not sprouted. Wondering if anyone with more experience with the crop knows if it will come up in the spring and be a decent crop?

I have grown it a few times in PA which everyone compares to WI.  I am far from.an expert but would be formulating plan B for the spring.  I dont think you will end up with a good stand.  It cant hurt to wait it out or there may still be a small winfow to replant with rye depending on your weather and soil conditions.  If you are looking for other cereal type crops you could plant oats in the spring if the wheat fails.  Sorry not more help.

• Thanks 1

I would not worry to much about it. It usually comes up under the snow in this area. It does seem to be slower coming out of the ground this year. How many pounds to the acre did you seed and at what depth? Most around here shoot for 100 and 1 1/2 to 2 inches.

• Thanks 1

Unless your winter wheat is different then our winter wheat you should be fine as long as it germinates.  There is winter wheat that goes in around here every year that doesn’t sprout including some of our own and it’s only because of late seeding and non cooperative weather.  Only thing is at least here you will see a yield penalty unless it’s a wet year.   

• Thanks 1

As said should be A-OK for the stand and vernalization period.  But get out there early with a hundred pounds of urea or 15 gal of 30% really early.  Like first week of March early.  It’s not going to tiller this fall but you can still get a good yield if it has everything it needs right out the gate.  Good luck!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IHC_1470 said:

I would not worry to much about it. It usually comes up under the snow in this area. It does seem to be slower coming out of the ground this year. How many pounds to the acre did you seed and at what depth? Most around here shoot for 100 and 1 1/2 to 2 inches.

I did 90 or just over at 1.5"