Sign in to follow this  
Rusty shackleford

856 prototype

I would love this cab for my 1456, Screenshot_20191120-070730_Messages.thumb.jpg.98dc01cc967c35d3f291054092f1e8dd.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like a early version of the deluxe cab from the later 66 series. Trust me, your not missing much. 

• Like 1

We had a diamond cab on our 856 only thing it was good for was dead of winter feeding if you opened the doors in the summer all the dirt kicked up by the front tires would get blown inside by the cooling fan. When we got the 1586 the cab came off the 856 for good. A cab without AC is nothing but a sweat box.

• Like 2

Oh c'mon.   Some of us still use those and are glad to have them. Certainly looks like it to me.  

Rusty, seems like one of these delux cab haters would probably deliver you a cab and maybe pay you to take it. Only fabrication required would be arond the hood, seems easy enough. image.thumb.jpg.7946d1832d989a767761e0f6c3b8d1ae.jpg

• Like 5

Yup i would take a sweat box over nothing. But would love to have and 86 series or newer cab with air too.

• Like 1

On Craigslist last week there was a Leyland for sale with a 66's cab on it. Didn't look to bad.

• Like 1

I assume that "growth" hanging out the side of the engine is the A/C compressor?   

I had (2) 86 series....the A/C wouldn't work in either one more than a season.  Finally stopped dumping money in and ran with the windows open.   

• Like 1

Dad & grampa had a 1066 hydro with deluxe cab from early 70s to 87. If the a/c quit, it got fixed. Sure it was noisy, but ear phones helped a bunch. That cab was really nice with good A/C, it would freeze you out & cab & heat was nice on those -30 days & wind blowing feeding cows. 

• Like 2

Don’t know if it’s camera angle but it sure looks like prototype was narrower than model that made into production. We aren’t 100 above all summer but we never had much ac problems with 1066 if you kept everything clean and condenser fans running.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

I assume that "growth" hanging out the side of the engine is the A/C compressor?   

I had (2) 86 series....the A/C wouldn't work in either one more than a season.  Finally stopped dumping money in and ran with the windows open.   

I have to charge both of mine every year with a can or 2 each. That's not bad, and they work all year. I did go through each one and replace all o rings and whatever else I could that might leak. No complaints here for a couple 40 yr old tractors. 

• Like 1

Looking at the roof line,  Vent system above door,  Rain trough above window is sloped back, Interior above operator appears to be heavily upholstered.

That Growth "A/C" compressor takes away from those beautiful "856" hood lines,  Unfortunately the size of those compressors in the early years of A/C equipped farm tractors, this is what you had to work with.

Great picture!!    Thanks

Jim Droscha  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7and8and1456 said:

Saw this one a few years ago somewhere on the internet. 

806 1206 66 cab.JPG

From that angle the cab looks narrower also so it must be camera.

10 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

So did Allen make factory cabs for IH including the deluxe cab?

Parts catalogs show that the "Ice Cream Box" cab was built by Allen. The "Diamond" cab ( listed as the Custom Cab in parts book ) was built by the Exel company. As to the actual manufacturer of the "Deluxe" cab seen on most 66 series, I have no idea as the parts books make no mention .

I also saved picture below from a few years ago.

Capture H with cab.JPG

The Deluxe cab (66 series era) was made by McLaughlin.    McLaughlin also made semi truck sleeper boxes for IH and others.

On 11/20/2019 at 10:57 AM, Jeff-C-IL said:

Finally stopped dumping money in and ran with the windows open.   

You can't open enough windows on an 86 series unless you remove the doors. The back window and the side wing windows don't get the job done. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 7and8and1456 said:

Saw this one a few years ago somewhere on the internet. 

806 1206 66 cab.JPG

See if that had a taller front window that started closer to the hood it would look perfect

On 11/22/2019 at 9:55 AM, 7and8and1456 said:

Parts catalogs show that the "Ice Cream Box" cab was built by Allen. The "Diamond" cab ( listed as the Custom Cab in parts book ) was built by the Exel company. As to the actual manufacturer of the "Deluxe" cab seen on most 66 series, I have no idea as the parts books make no mention .

I also saved picture below from a few years ago.

Capture H with cab.JPG

Got a custom cab on a 1066,really like it.I had several of the "red" deluxe cabs on 66 series and hated that cab.I found it very hard to see out of for my east coast row crop  baling,chopping, etc. farm work. Maybe if you just pulled tillage or planted with one it be ok becuse you would just be looking out the back,not to the side so much.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:05 AM, dale560 said:

From that angle the cab looks narrower also so it must be camera.

That was Tony Salter's rig from west central Iowa.