Sign in to follow this  
MTO

Sorry Ford guys

There's always been a huge aftermarket for GM. A lessor one for Ford. Not as much for Mopar. BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T NEED IT.

20 minutes ago, exSW said:

There's always been a huge aftermarket for GM. A lessor one for Ford. Not as much for Mopar. BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T NEED IT.

Tell that to the satellite that raced the galaxie and lost......😆

• Confused 1

Someone couldn't drive.

6 hours ago, MTO said:

"Handled like a boat"

You nailed that one OT.

Yup but made a better driver out of you.

Rear wheel drive with a big block and 60s on the back and 4 wheel drum brakes during the winter required slightly more talent than a front wheel drive traction control antilock 4 wheel disc brake modern ride.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I once curb stomped a 340 duster with a '77 f150. Wasnt a fair race my pickup had a 460 and a 650 holley! The kid was a touch arrogant and my old '77 2x4 was orange with a black and gray box. Had a cb antenna on the mirror plug into an old uniden cb. His parents owned the car and my truck had 180,000 on the odometer. Paid 500$ for it. He didnt make fun of my truck after that!

I know anything can be put on the internet. But I read somewhere once they had to hold the Charger back during filming of the Bullit movie cause the Mustang couldn't come close to keeping up. 

I find that hard to believe. And even if it were true it wouldn't make sense to let em have at it for real as it was a staged scene for a movie and had to come out a certain way. I would bet that speeds and what was gonna happen when were all preplanned out to make the scene happen the way they wanted it.

I will say this,my understanding of the tires back then is even good ones sucked compared to todays tires. Both cars probably had some traction and handling issues due to the tires of the time period.

Also you gotta remember this scene has been touted as one of the early car chase movie scenes. They might not have had the science of how to make it happen worked out very well yet.

On 11/20/2019 at 8:51 PM, 660 driver said:

I once curb stomped a 340 duster with a '77 f150. Wasnt a fair race my pickup had a 460 and a 650 holley! The kid was a touch arrogant and my old '77 2x4 was orange with a black and gray box. Had a cb antenna on the mirror plug into an old uniden cb. His parents owned the car and my truck had 180,000 on the odometer. Paid 500$ for it. He didnt make fun of my truck after that!

Was the Duster running?

i was never outrun in my 455 buick - course i didnt drag race with it i always said from point a to b and i always made sure there was at least a couple mile straightaway 😉 it would run in excess of 140 - our 1975 F250 supercab with 460 would take the spedo all the way back around to about 15 - i saw it there several times with dad driving - i was in the back in a jump seat peeking over his shoulder - its a wonder im even alive i dont think those jump seats had belts did they LOL 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MTO said:

Was the Duster running?

Sure was. We both spun off the dig but i had general grabbers on the back of my truck and they hooked quicker. I could hear the secondaries whining for air and it just kept pullin. That truck would do the guage pretty easy and then some. That truck had torque. My '97 f250 with a 460 had torque for days but only made power up to about 3/4 throttle. Musta been the heads they ran on em to try and salvage some gas mileage.

When you drop a SBC into a Ford...

No photo description available.

• Haha 1

And before they put rev limiters on Vettes...

No photo description available.

and Ford`s metallurgist was drinking heavy...

Image may contain: one or more people

On November 19, 2019 at 10:26 PM, oldtanker said:

Funny thing is I knew of a 68 Highpo (high performance) Ford 289 Stang, stock,  that would hang with any stock Mopar 383 Mag on the track (Ford as high as 290 HP opposed to the 383 at 335) . My 68 GTO 400, 4 speed stock would beat any Mopar I ever challenged including the vaunted 426. As mike Tyson use to say.....don't believe the hype. Now do the math. Road Runner was about 3800 pounds. Or 11 LBS per HP'/w383 mag.. The Ford? 2758. About 9 pounds per HP. Oops math and physics don't lie. My GTO was about 3500 pounds. Produced about  350 HP. Or 10 pounds per HP. Only car that consistently beat me was a 71 Ford Grand Sport Torino with the 428 Cobra Jet in it.

Now look up the definition of a hemispherical head engine. A Hemi head engine was being made long before Chrysler used it as an ad gimmick. It has to due with the combustion dome in the head, not with the spark plug location. Oops.

Now I will be the first to admit that Chrysler made some darn nice looking cars. But in my younger days? I liked to win on race days.

Rick 

HD had that design in 1948 and dry sump oiling amongst other

On November 19, 2019 at 10:26 PM, oldtanker said:

Funny thing is I knew of a 68 Highpo (high performance) Ford 289 Stang, stock,  that would hang with any stock Mopar 383 Mag on the track (Ford as high as 290 HP opposed to the 383 at 335) . My 68 GTO 400, 4 speed stock would beat any Mopar I ever challenged including the vaunted 426. As mike Tyson use to say.....don't believe the hype. Now do the math. Road Runner was about 3800 pounds. Or 11 LBS per HP'/w383 mag.. The Ford? 2758. About 9 pounds per HP. Oops math and physics don't lie. My GTO was about 3500 pounds. Produced about  350 HP. Or 10 pounds per HP. Only car that consistently beat me was a 71 Ford Grand Sport Torino with the 428 Cobra Jet in it.

Now look up the definition of a hemispherical head engine. A Hemi head engine was being made long before Chrysler used it as an ad gimmick. It has to due with the combustion dome in the head, not with the spark plug location. Oops.

Now I will be the first to admit that Chrysler made some darn nice looking cars. But in my younger days? I liked to win on race days.

Rick 

HD had that design in 1948 and dry sump oiling amongst other

Those Dart Cuda Hemis were incredible but they did get caught weighing in with fluid in the slicks they were actually under class weight

On 11/20/2019 at 1:44 PM, exSW said:

Nope. They all just drop an ls in them. Hence gm making more parts

16 minutes ago, 1466fan said:

Nope. They all just drop an ls in them. Hence gm making more parts

We're talking 40-50-60 year old engines here. The ls is perhaps the finest pushrod V8 ever. GM learned from their (many )mistakes,the aftermarket and other manufacturers (especially Chrysler) when they designed the ls. But it's a tail end Charlie.