Sign in to follow this  
MTO

Sorry Ford guys

What are you apologizing for? Those cars are clearly sitting on the starting line and they set the dodge out 3 cars ahead of the mustang so it has a fighting chance to win.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Illustration copied the movie Bullitt 

• Like 2

That mustang is right hand drive.... must be those boys I saw last week towing it home with a Binder 😂😂👍👍

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

An we all know how that ended up.....😆

1 minute ago, iowaboy1965 said:

An we all know how thaymt ended up.....😆

Hard to say which came first. The movie or the manual. They were both 1968. 

2 hours ago, 660 driver said:

What are you apologizing for? Those cars are clearly sitting on the starting line and they set the dodge out 3 cars ahead of the mustang so it has a fighting chance to win.

Dems fighten wurdz 

That mustang has a 289 amd the charger has 383, 426 hemi,  440 magnum ,or 440 6 pack, 

• Like 1

Mustang is a lot lighter than that Charger.

56 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

That mustang has a 289 amd the charger has 383, 426 hemi,  440 magnum ,or 440 6 pack, 

If thats a '68 mustang it coulda had 289,390,or 428 cobra jet or super cobra jet. Which still left said mustang lighter than said charger. Just gotta hook it and book it. Those engines fear no GM or MoPaR. Theres info out there claiming the 302 and 427 were available as well but ive never seen one equipped with a 427.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exSW said:

Mustang is a lot lighter than that Charger.

Improves the fuel economy of the tow vehicle. 

• Like 1

I bought a lift off a guy who restored old Mopars............he was telling me how much he liked my old Government Motors 3/4 ton and said I bet you wouldn't believe it, but I actually started out with Fords.  I said, I have to ask you, why did you jump ship?  He looked right at me and said, I spent 3 billion dollars on Mustangs and would go to the track and get my a$$ handed to me by the Road Runners and Chargers that were far from built, I switched and it became alot more fun.

2 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

A buddy had a mid 70's Challenger with a 383. He put a thermoquad ,cam and headers on it and not much else. That thing could get up and go.

• Like 1

Funny thing is I knew of a 68 Highpo (high performance) Ford 289 Stang, stock,  that would hang with any stock Mopar 383 Mag on the track (Ford as high as 290 HP opposed to the 383 at 335) . My 68 GTO 400, 4 speed stock would beat any Mopar I ever challenged including the vaunted 426. As mike Tyson use to say.....don't believe the hype. Now do the math. Road Runner was about 3800 pounds. Or 11 LBS per HP'/w383 mag.. The Ford? 2758. About 9 pounds per HP. Oops math and physics don't lie. My GTO was about 3500 pounds. Produced about  350 HP. Or 10 pounds per HP. Only car that consistently beat me was a 71 Ford Grand Sport Torino with the 428 Cobra Jet in it.

Now look up the definition of a hemispherical head engine. A Hemi head engine was being made long before Chrysler used it as an ad gimmick. It has to due with the combustion dome in the head, not with the spark plug location. Oops.

Now I will be the first to admit that Chrysler made some darn nice looking cars. But in my younger days? I liked to win on race days.

Rick 

8 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

Actually there are a few that came with the slant 6 and a lot were born with the old 318. Careful who you picked a race with...

11 hours ago, 660 driver said:

Yeah the Chargers at the starting line but the rustang broke down in the staging lanes...🙄😕

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

beat me to it. Darn.

7 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

He looked right at me and said, I spent 3 billion dollars on Mustangs and would go to the track and get my a$$ handed to me by the Road Runners and Chargers

Now we know where the government bailout money came from in 2008 for GM and Chrysler.

In 1968 the fastest/quickest cars at the drag strip were the hemi cuda / dart 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Funny thing is I knew of a 68 Highpo (high performance) Ford 289 Stang, stock,  that would hang with any stock Mopar 383 Mag on the track (Ford as high as 290 HP opposed to the 383 at 335) . My 68 GTO 400, 4 speed stock would beat any Mopar I ever challenged including the vaunted 426. As mike Tyson use to say.....don't believe the hype. Now do the math. Road Runner was about 3800 pounds. Or 11 LBS per HP'/w383 mag.. The Ford? 2758. About 9 pounds per HP. Oops math and physics don't lie. My GTO was about 3500 pounds. Produced about  350 HP. Or 10 pounds per HP. Only car that consistently beat me was a 71 Ford Grand Sport Torino with the 428 Cobra Jet in it.

Now look up the definition of a hemispherical head engine. A Hemi head engine was being made long before Chrysler used it as an ad gimmick. It has to due with the combustion dome in the head, not with the spark plug location. Oops.

Now I will be the first to admit that Chrysler made some darn nice looking cars. But in my younger days? I liked to win on race days.

Rick 

Figure in some torque differences along with your HP ratings.

I dont doubt you beat some cars that you never should have been able to. Driver ability and car setup/tune plays a big part.  The 426 HEMI in production cars needed some deeper gears. The engine needs to get some rpms before the advantage of the hemi head really shines. If you beat a hemi with your goat i would guess the hemi needed a tuneup and a better driver....

5 hours ago, 65806 said:

In 1968 the fastest/quickest cars at the drag strip were the hemi cuda / dart 

Look at what the Dart weighed in at. 2700-2800 range? Heck the AMC Gremlin X with the 304 was quick. Darned Gremlin didn't weigh much either, just under 2700 pounds.

15 minutes ago, new guy said:

I dont doubt you beat some cars that you never should have been able to. Driver ability and car setup/tune plays a big part.  The 426 HEMI in production cars needed some deeper gears. The engine needs to get some rpms before the advantage of the hemi head really shines. If you beat a hemi with your goat i would guess the hemi needed a tuneup and a better driver....

That could be true. Was only one 426 in the area and the owner wasn't real sharp. Friend had a 69 Road Runner. 383. All that was is a straight line car. Handled like a boat. Not only did we do 1/4 mile we raced the back and gravel roads too. Guy from high school totaled a 69 Chevell on a back road racing. Lost it on a sharp 90 degree turn. Had an argument with a large oak tree. Walked away from it. But how a car handled was important to us too.

Rick

24 minutes ago, new guy said:

Spent 10+ years hanging at the Cadet.

Every year/make/model was represented there nightly and Sunday afternoons, more rubber was laid down on the highway than at the Winternationals.

If a hemi owner lost to a GM 400 in any body style, the hemi owner would have been too ashamed to ever return. 

Now when the Stage II s  and the LS6s arrived, the hemi guys settled down a bit.

Oh my god, I miss those days.

I lived through the most exciting period of muscle and survived it. 

• Like 2

"Handled like a boat"

You nailed that one OT.

I was thinking earlier exactly what new guy said. Some guys are extremely talented at getting the most out of anything they are around wether it be they can tune it just right or know instinctively how to drive something to its full potential. Or both. My buddy and his brother especially always seemed to be really good at tuning. And better than average at driving imo.

In the early 80s when i was in highschool,  there was still a lot of this stuff laying around. They were by and large just old cars to a lot of folks and getting a bit worn and tired as well as rusty. But the gear heads in the crowd had plenty of cars at a reasonably affordable price and lots parts to chose from. It wasnt as glorious as being around in mto and tankers day but still a lot of fun. 

I recall being the flag man for my buddy and his cousin when they had a friendly race between buddies 63  390 galaxie and his cousins very nice 383 satellite.