Sign in to follow this  
560Dennis

What’s your favorite Western Series ,and why ?

I’m bored today so relaxing I’ve been watching Tombstone Territory !  
why? It’s got interesting characters ,many when you look at them them went on to bigger things. 
I like the moto! “ Tombstone a town  To tuff to Die” 

And there’s a Tombstone song at the end. “Whistle Up A Memory ”  . Cool 😎 

it had Alan Hale in it from Gilliiagans island ,  it I’ve not seen him yet or missed him 

• Like 1

Never heard of that one... i like most i have seen. Gotta say as i kid i rarely missed Maverick and i watch gunsmoke a lot now, tho it was on when i was small and we did watch it then , just not very regularly for some reason. As to why? Well just cause. Lol.

• Like 1

Watched a lot of Bonanza and Dr. Quinn Medicine woman with Grandpa growing up

• Like 2

Gunsmoke and The Big Valley for me. And no I was not around when they were new haha but I still like them. I’ve seen other westerns but they would be my top two 

Before woman's  lib there was Calamity Jane, way back in 1955, saw in on the Jewish Channel recently.   The Lone Ranger has some good scripts also.  I have found many good old stores on the backwaters of the current ATT cable connection. Anything old is better than the Crap being produced today!

• Like 4

As a kid growing up we were aGunsmoke household. Seems like now The Rifleman. In College Rawhide. Channel 7 in Jackson reran it every night at midnight. When the bar closed. Gave the theme song new meaning.

ll

3 minutes ago, exSW said:

As a kid growing up we were a,Gunsmoke household. Seems like now The Rifleman.

I got the rifleman ,toy rifle somewhere , I take a picture of it and post it ? 👀

Got into Gunsmoke way back when it was not a re-run. I'll still watch an episode now and then on youtube. Bonanza was a must see on Sunday evenings when I was a kid too. The Roy Rogers show was also a favourite. Rawhide, back when Clint Eastwood was a kid. And I always wanted one of those lever action guns (toy) like "The Rifleman" had. 🙂

Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and Wanted Dead or Alive (I think that is what it is called)

I always liked the Lone Ranger the best.

Have Gun Will Travel was my first favorite western, Richard Boone as Palidin. But we watched Gunsmoke, Bonanza,  Maverick, and all the rest mentioned. Roy Roger's was Saturday morning TV.  

The Young Riders has always been a favorite of mine

Wild, Wild West. Just thought it was entertaining. 

Jery

• Like 1

Was it James Arness and Dennis Weaver in Gunsmoke, all time favorite.

A young Clint Eastwood in Rawhide was always watched.😎

When I was younger,I used to practice the Chuck Conner's "squint" from the Rifleman...................................... oh heck, I still do, way cool😎😄

Laramie and Death Valley Days (sometimes Ronny Reagan introduces the show) on the Grit Channel on Dish like to have it on in the background when eating dinner or snow days, they have a lot of good old western movies too. Amazing how many actors got their start in those old westerns. Like 560dennis says, 'skipper" was usually a blacksmith and/or bad guy, "professor" was always a bad guy😂

I think the later Hopalong Cassidy series the bad guys would be in a car but Hoppy still chased them down on a horse. 🤪 Then bellied up to the bar for a "sasparilla" 😋

Listen to Radio Classics on Sirius when I'm in the truck. Jimmy Stewart in The Six Shooter, John Dehner in Gunsmoke and Have Gun Will Travel, Fort Laramie

• Like 1

Lonesome Dove and Gunsmoke and all others above.

• Like 3

I was surfing around came across Gabby Hayes , the guy was from around suburban Wellsville,ny.
He did real well for himself retired ,but lost everything in the 1929 stock market crash.

started over 
He never rode a horse till he was forty. 
was on Roy Rogers , Hopalong Cassidy, others. 
I was amazed how many movies he was in ,look 👀 

In no particular order -

• Gunsmoke
  • Have Gun - Will Travel
  • Rawhide
  • Wanted Dead or Alive
  • The Rifleman
  • Maverick
  • Like 2

Could watch different series on Inspiration channel, but Gunsmoke seems to have the most octane of any of them. 

Ever notice they hardly ever work with cattle on Bonanza?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

Could watch different series on Inspiration channel, but Gunsmoke seems to have the most octane of any of them. 

Don't get me wrong I love my Gunsmoke (below general statement applies to many others too) but....

Being Geo-anal I always pay particular attention to the locations and background scenery.  We all know Dodge City and far surrounding is pretty much Great Plains w/ broad rolling hills and broad valleys.  Roughly pre-1968 or so when out of town often a scene would be shot where in the background sat a pretty good size cuesta (same cuesta every episode, every time).  This location was in southern Utah.  Later, post 68' and then when in color we start to see a lot of scenes in lush green granitoid terrains.  These from southern California.  Each a LONG ways from Dodge.

Interesting to me.

5 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

In no particular order -

• Gunsmoke
  • Have Gun - Will Travel
  • Rawhide
  • Wanted Dead or Alive
  • The Rifleman
  • Maverick

Perfect. Pretty much the great Me-TV Saturday line up. Would add The Big Valley and for shear fun to watch The Wild Wild West to the list.

4 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Don't get me wrong I love my Gunsmoke (below general statement applies to many others too) but....

Being Geo-anal I always pay particular attention to the locations and background scenery.  We all know Dodge City and far surrounding is pretty much Great Plains w/ broad rolling hills and broad valleys.  Roughly pre-1968 or so when out of town often a scene would be shot where in the background sat a pretty good size cuesta (same cuesta every episode, every time).  This location was in southern Utah.  Later, post 68' and then when in color we start to see a lot of scenes in lush green granitoid terrains.  These from southern California.  Each a LONG ways from Dodge.

Interesting to me.

What used to catch my eye was the "range land" in some of the movies. It looked like semi desert with not enough growth to support any cattle or horses. Yet the ranches had cattle and horses. 

• Like 1

There are so many good old Western Movies that its hard to choose lol, all the John Wayne and James Stewart Westerns are awesome!!

• Like 1