1965Dennis

CDL Testing Question

B. PRE-TRIP INSPECTION In addition, modifications to part 383, subparts G and H, were proposed to make the entire pre-trip inspection (not just the air brake inspection) part of the skills testing standard, rather than the knowledge testing standard as it is currently. Comments. South Carolina supported making the pre-trip inspection part of the skills testing. Texas and Nebraska opposed making the pre-trip inspection part of the skills testing. Texas commented that administering the pre-trip inspection as a knowledge exam will not reduce safety. Nebraska commented that changing the pre-trip inspection back to a skills test would add 45 minutes to each skills test, thus increasingcosts to the State.

It says right there in this document that the pre trip was only required as a knowledge test and not as a skills test at the time. It also specifically says Nebraska opposed making it a requirement. Therefore Nebraska wasnt performing a pretrip as a skills test and only a knowledge test. I copied and pasted that paragraph from the document. I had to perform the air brake test just as it says in the above paragraph. I dont normally turn into an argumentative ***hole unless I know I'm right. 

1 minute ago, Ihfan4life said:

When I did my cdl testing they were selecting different things instead of making you do the complete pretrip inspection. I had to do the airlines going to the trailer/ back of cab inspection. The instructor just had you do what the computer software was asking about.

But you did do a pre trip right.

1 minute ago, WishIhada1466 said:

B. PRE-TRIP INSPECTION In addition, modifications to part 383, subparts G and H, were proposed to make the entire pre-trip inspection (not just the air brake inspection) part of the skills testing standard, rather than the knowledge testing standard as it is currently. Comments. South Carolina supported making the pre-trip inspection part of the skills testing. Texas and Nebraska opposed making the pre-trip inspection part of the skills testing. Texas commented that administering the pre-trip inspection as a knowledge exam will not reduce safety. Nebraska commented that changing the pre-trip inspection back to a skills test would add 45 minutes to each skills test, thus increasingcosts to the State.

It says right there in this document that the pre trip was only required as a knowledge test and not as a skills test at the time. It also specifically says Nebraska opposed making it a requirement. Therefore Nebraska wasnt performing a pretrip as a skills test and only a knowledge test. I copied and pasted that paragraph from the document. I had to perform the air brake test just as it says in the above paragraph. I dont normally turn into an argumentative ***hole unless I know I'm right. 

I call BS on what you posted. Lets call Nebraska and tell them what you said and see what they say.  You will not have a CDL after that phone call 

4 minutes ago, RKO said:

You called BS on what Jass 1660 post. Which you were wrong. Some  States did used a lottery to retest a few years ago.  So you were wrong on that. And now your changing your story on a pre trip.  You did a "Discussion"  on pre trip. If you really do have a CDL you did a pre trip if you got a CDL in Nebraska. 

He made it sound like it was nation wide. There is nothing in the federal law that I can find for random testing. I did state in that post that certain states may do that. I even said Illinois which someone commented afterwards that they had indeed tested randomly. I also made that post before I found that FMCSA document that stated they were proposing to change to require pretrip. 

6 minutes ago, RKO said:

I call BS on what you posted. Lets call Nebraska and tell them what you said and see what they say.  You will not have a CDL after that phone call 

Explain to me why they would need to propose to change the law then? If it was already a standard they wouldnt need to propose it and Nebraska wouldnt have opposed it. 

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2011/05/09/2011-10510/commercial-drivers-license-testing-and-commercial-learners-permit-standards

15 minutes ago, RKO said:

But you did do a pre trip right.

How technical do you want to be?

We only did the airline portion of the pretrip. NOT a complete pretrip. 

So technically answering I would say no. 

I’m glad I got grandfathered into a cdl from the old state license other than had to take all the new written tests. Only one driving test in 1986. 

2 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

I’m glad I got grandfathered into a cdl from the old state license other than had to take all the new written tests. Only one driving test in 1986. 

I grandfathered on my class b. Went back and got class a about 97. Wasn't that big of a deal. Should've just put class a on it when I grandfathered. Don't think they checked up on it. Maybe randomly but I know they didn't check mine. 

6 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

How technical do you want to be?

We only did the airline portion of the pretrip. NOT a complete pretrip. 

So technically answering I would say no. 

You were grandfathered in on the pretrip with your class b except the air brake. Which you did when you got your class a. So technicality you did your pre trip in two parts 

9 minutes ago, RKO said:

You were grandfathered in on the pretrip with your class b except the air brake. Which you did when you got your class a. So technicality you did your pre trip in two parts 

Nope. 

You’re confusing me with some of these other guys.

I never had a cdl before getting my Class A.

I did however went to a “school “ to get my Class A. I was working with a company to get my license and they started jerking me around with it. Decided I wasn’t going to be obligated to them and decided to go it on my own.

My Class A and subsequent endorsements for tanker and hazmat are mine and not anyone else’s. I paid for it, I worked for it and I’ll drive for  whoever I want to without obligations other than my word and work ethics.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RKO said:

I had a class b. Still had to do the full pre trip when I took my class a. 

15 minutes ago, 1466fan said:

I had a class b. Still had to do the full pre trip when I took my class a. 

Could be your state. 

6 hours ago, WishIhada1466 said:

Explain to me why they would need to propose to change the law then? If it was already a standard they wouldnt need to propose it and Nebraska wouldnt have opposed it. 

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2011/05/09/2011-10510/commercial-drivers-license-testing-and-commercial-learners-permit-standards

For several years all states did a lottery when you renewed your CDL. Couple states still do. 

The Fed's set a minimum standard and each state has to do at least that or more. The Feds could say you dont have to do a pre trip. But the state can say you have to do a pre trip.  (That is more than the Feds require) In  Nebraska you  always had to do the pre trip since commercial CDL came in to effect.  Some states use a computer to tell you what you jave to do on the pre trip.  I would like to know what County you got your Class a CDL without a pre trip. I know many of the examimers  One is going to help me move a crane Tuesday 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RKO said:

For several years all states did a lottery when you renewed your CDL. Couple states still do. 

The Fed's set a minimum standard and each state has to do at least that or more. The Feds could say you dont have to do a pre trip. But the state can say you have to do a pre trip.  (That is more than the Feds require) In  Nebraska you  always had to do the pre trip since commercial CDL came in to effect.  Some states use a computer to tell you what you jave to do on the pre trip.  I would like to know what County you got your Class a CDL without a pre trip. I know many of the examimers  One is going to help me move a crane Tuesday 

Knox. I understand the fact that each state can choose to do more than what the feds require. I'm still not understanding why it specifically states Nebraska was against a skills pretrip and even states the reason why if they were already requiring it. 

2 hours ago, WishIhada1466 said:

Knox. I understand the fact that each state can choose to do more than what the feds require. I'm still not understanding why it specifically states Nebraska was against a skills pretrip and even states the reason why if they were already requiring it. 

https://dmv.nebraska.gov/cdl/pre-trip-vehicle-inspection. If Nebraska didn't have a pre trip why would they have a video on their web page on how to do it???  I don't get mad over this stuff. I just don't like when people post false things. You where wrong on what Jass 1660 stated and you are wrong on this. Nebraska has a pre trip. 

Nebraska was against this change because the Feds wanted all states to dumb down the CDL test. ( Feds wanted to control the states)  Feds don't care about safety.  Feds are controled by a couple large trucking companies that want cheap drivers.  Dumb down test so stupid people can pass equals cheap drivers.   Look at where all the new drivers or poor truck schools are at. States that have minimum testing skills.   Nebraska use to be good to deal with. But the New guy at the head of Nebraska DOT loves the Feds. So changes are going to happen and not for the good.  If I remember right  Nebraska licence is honored by all states but California.  Not many states can say that. 

I worked 5 years part time for the state of Kansas as a CDL examiner.  Must pass the general knowledge test at the DMV and have a state CDL learner's permit for a minimum of two weeks before taking the pretrip, skills and driving test with a Kansas CDL examiner.  

The examiner will not know which pretrip you have until his I pad spits it out.  Could be any one of the following:

1. Must pass the pretrip which includes an air brake applied pressure check (automatic fail if not done correctly so be sure and study that one).  The examiner's I pad will spit out one of the following pretrips after getting the necessary tag numbers and gvw ratings off your rig.

"A" pretrip.  Consist of everything under the hood, both sides of the engine compartment (fluids, belts, hoses, engine components) plus the steering components, brake system components, suspension components, tire, wheel and hub assembly on the left side of the truck only.  Followed by a coupling system inspection between the truck and trailer on a combination unit. Then a full in cab pretrip which also includes air brake pressure checks, parking brake checks and service brake checks.

"B" pretrip.  Hood closed.  Everything from the firewall to the back of the truck or tractor on the driver's side.  If it is a tandem, only one axle , brake, suspension, tire and wheel assemblies, etc.  must be gone over for times sake.  Also tell the examiner what you would check under the truck.  The coupling system and in cab pretrip will also have to be done.

"C" pretrip.  Coupling system followed by the trailer bulkhead, left side of the trailer, once again only one axle and it's components, tires and wheels must be gone over.  Then talk about the back of the trailer.  Door/gate hinges, latches, lights, DOT reflective tape, etc. Followed by full in cab pretrip

"Full" pretrip is A, B, and C combined plus the coupling system and full in cab pretrip.

2.  Skills test consists of straight line back, offset back either to the right or left, parallel park either to the right or left , or an alley dock.  The examiner will not know which pre trip or which skills test you will get until you are on the course.  The tests are spit out by the examiner's I pad randomly. 

3.  The last test is the driving test, which is maybe 12 miles.  You may float gears if so desired but that is an automatic 5 point penalty if you do.  Double clutching has no point penalties.  Hitting curbs with either the truck or the trailer is an automatic fail on the road trip.  So is killing the engine at any time during the test, even on the skills lot.  Any traffic violation is an automatic fail.  Coasting more than the length of your rig is an automatic fail (as in losing your gears and not able to recover or dumping the clutch and coasting). 

Any questions regarding the exams (they are pretty much the same in all states) just drop me a pm.

35 minutes ago, JD Humm said:

I worked 5 years part time for the state of Kansas as a CDL examiner.  Must pass the general knowledge test at the DMV and have a state CDL learner's permit for a minimum of two weeks before taking the pretrip, skills and driving test with a Kansas CDL examiner.  

The examiner will not know which pretrip you have until his I pad spits it out.  Could be any one of the following:

1. Must pass the pretrip which includes an air brake applied pressure check (automatic fail if not done correctly so be sure and study that one).  The examiner's I pad will spit out one of the following pretrips after getting the necessary tag numbers and gvw ratings off your rig.

"A" pretrip.  Consist of everything under the hood, both sides of the engine compartment (fluids, belts, hoses, engine components) plus the steering components, brake system components, suspension components, tire, wheel and hub assembly on the left side of the truck only.  Followed by a coupling system inspection between the truck and trailer on a combination unit. Then a full in cab pretrip which also includes air brake pressure checks, parking brake checks and service brake checks.

"B" pretrip.  Hood closed.  Everything from the firewall to the back of the truck or tractor on the driver's side.  If it is a tandem, only one axle , brake, suspension, tire and wheel assemblies, etc.  must be gone over for times sake.  Also tell the examiner what you would check under the truck.  The coupling system and in cab pretrip will also have to be done.

"C" pretrip.  Coupling system followed by the trailer bulkhead, left side of the trailer, once again only one axle and it's components, tires and wheels must be gone over.  Then talk about the back of the trailer.  Door/gate hinges, latches, lights, DOT reflective tape, etc. Followed by full in cab pretrip

"Full" pretrip is A, B, and C combined plus the coupling system and full in cab pretrip.

2.  Skills test consists of straight line back, offset back either to the right or left, parallel park either to the right or left , or an alley dock.  The examiner will not know which pre trip or which skills test you will get until you are on the course.  The tests are spit out by the examiner's I pad randomly. 

3.  The last test is the driving test, which is maybe 12 miles.  You may float gears if so desired but that is an automatic 5 point penalty if you do.  Double clutching has no point penalties.  Hitting curbs with either the truck or the trailer is an automatic fail on the road trip.  So is killing the engine at any time during the test, even on the skills lot.  Any traffic violation is an automatic fail.  Coasting more than the length of your rig is an automatic fail (as in losing your gears and not able to recover or dumping the clutch and coasting). 

Any questions regarding the exams (they are pretty much the same in all states) just drop me a pm.

I got all those back when I took mine. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 9:29 PM, WishIhada1466 said:

Had a nice visit with the commercial examiner that helped me yesterday.  He read these posting and stated that Nebraska is very close to what JD Humm posted.  He had a couple queations for you.  First did you take your test at the Knox court house??. Or from a third party examimer??  Second did you get your licences from Knox county or did the state send it to you.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JD Humm said:

Any questions regarding the exams (they are pretty much the same in all states

You are right on with that statement.  Few years ago I set up to do third partly examinations in Nebraksa Never did anything with it.  But I help a few people get their CDL each year.   Helped my cousin get his in Kansas in 2016  they gave him points because when he was checking gauges in dash he didn't tell the examiner what each gauge was and what they were reading.  Was that you JD 😃  

Most  of the examimers are OK. They know the person is nervous. One examiner had my neighbor turn down a street. He didn't know it was closed. She was going to have to back down a narrow curve street and back out onto a busy HWY  She was scared to death. Examiner let her  call me and let me back it out. 

• Like 1

Ha ha, that could have been me!  When a person does their pretrip exam, I used to tell to treat my like a student, as if they were teaching me what components to look at and what he or she was looking for.

The biggest change in CDLs for me was it used to be easy to get HazMat and now it's about more trouble than its worth to get unless you really need it. Can't even get it in my county.

3 hours ago, JD Humm said:

Ha ha, that could have been me!  When a person does their pretrip exam, I used to tell to treat my like a student, as if they were teaching me what components to look at and what he or she was looking for.

I tell the people I'm helping to tell the examiner what they are looking for,  seeing and thinking on the Pre trip and also the driving part.   Never had a problem until he didn't do it. 

I think the Pre trip is the most important part of the test.  To many trucks running around that have faulty parts, And the driver has no clue. DOT did a road side stop by our shop this summer.  The out of service trucks were parked every were. Took over a day to get them all hauled away. That does not say much for the safety of industry.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lightninboy said:

The biggest change in CDLs for me was it used to be easy to get HazMat and now it's about more trouble than its worth to get unless you really need it. Can't even get it in my county.

Agree, I only need it to haul fuel, gas and propane. To pass I have to know about acids, caustics, poisons,  things that don't play well together, explosives and a lot of other stuff that I have to relearn each time because I don't use them everyday. I guess you can't get too specific. Have to streamline the test somehow. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Agree, I only need it to haul fuel, gas and propane. To pass I have to know about acids, caustics, poisons,  things that don't play well together, explosives and a lot of other stuff that I have to relearn each time because I don't use them everyday. I guess you can't get too specific. Have to streamline the test somehow. 

I don't mind that so much, just a matter of studying, what bothers me is having to go 90 or 150 miles to get the HazMat. Supposed to prevent terrorism, but what could be safer than doing it in the home county and having people vouch for you there?

"Fingerprinting sites are located in Rapid City and Sioux Falls." "Complete a security threat assessment background check online. You can also call 1-855-347-8371, Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. (EST). You’ll need to pay a fee of $86.50 upon completion." 

Shoot, I got fingerprinted for free every time I got arrested.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

I don't mind that so much, just a matter of studying, what bothers me is having to go 90 or 150 miles to get the HazMat. Supposed to prevent terrorism, but what could be safer than doing it in the home county and having people vouch for you there?

"Fingerprinting sites are located in Rapid City and Sioux Falls." "Complete a security threat assessment background check online. You can also call 1-855-347-8371, Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. (EST). You’ll need to pay a fee of $86.50 upon completion." 

Shoot, I got fingerprinted for free every time I got arrested.

Yeah, Rapid is where I went too. Got my finger prints on file with County, State, State Patrol, FBI, BATF, and TSA. More finger printed than anyone on death row and I've never really been arrested officially 😁😂