EJQ

New Holland L223 Opinions Skid steer

10 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Does this include the models produced since Doosan bought Bobcat?  I have heard complaints about Bobcat skidsteers after Doosan bought them.  At that point supposedly they went away from the venerable Kubota engines and engine reliability took a dump.

Well Doosan is a major manufacturer of heavy equipment throughout the world so I don't believe their quality would be less then anyone else.I know the new Bobcats in my area far out number anything else whether construction,farming landscaping etc..I also never heard of a reliability issue from anyone I talked to. I do know that all machines have issues but like I said for me it would not be anything new other then a Bobcat.I think second would be a Case and the others following behind but that is just me.

16 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Well Doosan is a major manufacturer of heavy equipment throughout the world so I don't believe their quality would be less then anyone else.I know the new Bobcats in my area far out number anything else whether construction,farming landscaping etc..I also never heard of a reliability issue from anyone I talked to. I do know that all machines have issues but like I said for me it would not be anything new other then a Bobcat.I think second would be a Case and the others following behind but that is just me.

The newest bobcats have had some issues. We buy about 10 new bobcats every year and hold about 10 over that were bought new the previous year. All that said the issues theyve had havent been bad enough for us to quit buying bobcats and we use them like dozers. We use them on demo jobs,road building,building backfilling,and finish grading. Most major issue ive had when running them is intermittant ac on an older machine and the main drive belt going out. Mechanic changed out the belt in about 30 to 40 minutes. Now ive never been a big bobcat guy as i feel the old LX new hollands could lift and push a lot more material. All that said my company likes them.

18 minutes ago, 660 driver said:

The newest bobcats have had some issues. We buy about 10 new bobcats every year and hold about 10 over that were bought new the previous year. All that said the issues theyve had havent been bad enough for us to quit buying bobcats and we use them like dozers. We use them on demo jobs,road building,building backfilling,and finish grading. Most major issue ive had when running them is intermittant ac on an older machine and the main drive belt going out. Mechanic changed out the belt in about 30 to 40 minutes. Now ive never been a big bobcat guy as i feel the old LX new hollands could lift and push a lot more material. All that said my company likes them.

Well I tend to agree with you. I also was never a big Bobcat guy either on older machines.They couldn't lift and carry with out falling on their nose and were useless in mud or wet ground, rode rough.NH's were so much nicer and did more work. I just think  they  really improved and would be my choice.The 650's seem like a good all around size machine and they would be my choice.

7 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I get that, but alot of guys complained the vision to the rear on the Cat's were horrible.............The "Factory" installed camera in them eliminated those complaints, I thought it worked really good and is integrated into the display.

I will agree that the visibility out the back of a Cat is terrible. Very hard to see behind. The camera takes care of it. I do like the camera in the deeres more though. Bigger display too, and separate from the display panel. I see Takeuchi now has a camera option, and I think Mustang/Gehl might now too. Should be standard in my opinion

6 hours ago, 660 driver said:

I have ran a few cat skid loaders too and they are very nice but i prefer foot controls.

They got into the hand/foot control a few years ago. But I dont know of anyone running any. Not sure if they're still building any or went back to just iso

14 hours ago, Jacka said:

The current line of Case shares its design with New Holland.  The older (18, XT, 400) series of Cases are my personal favorites in the skid steer world, but I don’t think I would consider a current series Case.

The rear camera and side visibility of the tracks in the Cat is the reason why we bought the Cat 289D.  The rear camera was not available in the Deere at the time of our purchase...or at least our dealer said it wasn't.

On 11/20/2019 at 8:59 AM, Gearclash said:

The current line of Case shares its design with New Holland.  The older (18, XT, 400) series of Cases are my personal favorites in the skid steer world, but I don’t think I would consider a current series Case.

X2

We have been buying used XT skidloaders when we can and now only going as new as long as it's still the 3.9 Cummins

On 11/18/2019 at 6:34 AM, EJQ said:

I am hoping some of you may provide me with some assistance. As I get older my fingers don't stay as warm as they used to and I have decided to upgrade skid steers. I'm looking at a New Holland L223 with Heat and AC. I don't know much about the newer skid steers from Hew Holland and would like to here of your experiences with then before pulling the trigger on one.

I would be replacing and well used, but very reliable New Holland LS170 with open ROPS.

Thank you for your comments and have a great day.

Erich

Have you considered putting plexiglass on the cab and installing a new aftermarket heater ? Generally don't need a door once the heat is up to temperature but you can install a door if wanted

On 11/26/2019 at 5:27 AM, bitty said:

X2

We have been buying used XT skidloaders when we can and now only going as new as long as it's still the 3.9 Cummins

A Case with the 3.9 is a productive combination.  What do you think of the 4.5 they used in the 400 series?  I think that was some kind of Iveco/Cummins love child?  We had a 420 for a while that had the turbo 2.2L Shibiura.  They had head gasket failures until Case got things figured out. The 2.2 was a high reving engine and would fall flat on its face if it ran out of torque.  It was real tight on fuel though.

On 11/26/2019 at 5:29 AM, bitty said:

Have you considered putting plexiglass on the cab and installing a new aftermarket heater ? Generally don't need a door once the heat is up to temperature but you can install a door if wanted

Bitty,

I did look into this and all said it done with a SIMS cab kit and electric heater it was a little over 3K. As much as i like the old LS170 it is getting long in the tooth. The steer motors need attention as well as pins and bushings. I'm to the point it is financially beneficial to trade up verses putting more money in the old gal. 

Erich

3 hours ago, EJQ said:

Bitty,

I did look into this and all said it done with a SIMS cab kit and electric heater it was a little over 3K. As much as i like the old LS170 it is getting long in the tooth. The steer motors need attention as well as pins and bushings. I'm to the point it is financially beneficial to trade up verses putting more money in the old gal. 

Erich

Personally I would trade only to a pre emissions machine

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bitty said:

Personally I would trade only to a pre emissions machine

X2. I've been looking at upgrading but any newer than what mine is and I'm gonna be running def. So I'll stick with what I got. Although some smaller machines don't require def

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EJQ said:

Bitty,

Erich

It's a tough call to make. If you think your drive motors are going they are at least $2500  a piece just for a replacement. Then there is the condition of your tandem pump, if it's weak there is another $6000 to $7000 and those are ballpark figures. What condition is the engine in, a crate engine from case is $9500 and rebuilding it isn't much less than that if you need to buy major parts, don't ask me how I know. On the other hand, from what I know and hear about new skid steers I don't think there is one out there that is worth the asking price but that's my opinion