EJQ

New Holland L223 Opinions Skid steer

I am hoping some of you may provide me with some assistance. As I get older my fingers don't stay as warm as they used to and I have decided to upgrade skid steers. I'm looking at a New Holland L223 with Heat and AC. I don't know much about the newer skid steers from Hew Holland and would like to here of your experiences with then before pulling the trigger on one.

I would be replacing and well used, but very reliable New Holland LS170 with open ROPS.

Thank you for your comments and have a great day.

Erich

I have heard too many complaints about the “new” New Holland series to ever want to own one.  They are definitely not the machine your LS170 is.  I would take a look at Cat.  They have a very nice cab, and the Cat 226D my brother has been reliable for us so far.  

Had acouple customers who had L223's.......better buy it new so it has a warrenty.  Dealer always were working on then, although IMO the dealer here was probably the issue.

+2 on the Cat.....I have yet to run anything else that would make me switch, and the dealer here is top notch, although other than fluid services, and a bad cab ground cable mine hasn't needed anything in 2000 hrs.

Like TP and Gear said Cat 👍  bought mine used and haven't had any issues yet knock on wood haha. 

Wow. I didn't know New Holland's quality had gotten that bad.

What issues are they having?

I have a friend with a Case SR220 that has treated him very well. That's the reason I looked at New Holland. I was told they both are pretty much the same now days.

Thank you

They were having electrical issues...............which I said is why the dealer might be the issue, you can't have guys who put together balers try to troubleshoot electrical issues without a understanding of the system.  

When I first looked at Cat's I was hung up on Gehl's..........My wife was the one who pushed to buy a Cat, so we looked at them.  When I swung the back door open on the Cat, everything on the engine was accessable without standing on your head because the radiator/fan/coolers were above the engine and swung up, unlike the others at the time.  I thought it was a great idea and as much as I wanted t-bars, my wife wanted pilots, so bought the Cat.......................I never planned on not working on it other than servicing.  Heck, other than to clean the crap out of the pan, never had the cage up on it.  I will say the rear veiw isn't as good as other machines, but considering all the pluses everywhere else on it, I can easily live with that.  Ran a 299D with the camera, that solved that issue, but it will be some time before those are used enough for me to buy another one, either way, my old 226 won't leave here, I just want a track machine for alot of things. Actually would like a radial lift CTL Cat about the same size as this one..........247 or something now I believe.

Thank you for your feedback.

I checked Ziegler and fabick cat. I'm only looking to upgrade about 20 25000 after looking at the cat websites it looks like it may be an upgrade of 30 to 35 thousand which is a little more than I can afford at this point in this economy. 

On another note has anybody had any experience with ASV posi track skid steers. We have a local sales person about 20 minutes from me I have heard it's hit or miss with them.

Thank you everybody for taking the time I appreciate all responses.

12 minutes ago, EJQ said:

Thank you for your feedback.

I checked Ziegler and fabick cat. I'm only looking to upgrade about 20 25000 after looking at the cat websites it looks like it may be an upgrade of 30 to 35 thousand which is a little more than I can afford at this point in this economy. 

On another note has anybody had any experience with ASV posi track skid steers. We have a local sales person about 20 minutes from me I have heard it's hit or miss with them.

Thank you everybody for taking the time I appreciate all responses.

Call your CAT dealer.  I find with our dealer the prices on the website can be inflated.  At work we have had 18 226B3/ 226D.  All ran to 5000-6000 hours.  Good reliable machines.   Some wheel bearings and oil leaks.  

2 minutes ago, Paystar5000 said:

Call your CAT dealer.  I find with our dealer the prices on the website can be inflated.  At work we have had 18 226B3/ 226D.  All ran to 5000-6000 hours.  Good reliable machines.   Some wheel bearings and oil leaks.  

+1, my salesman gets upset with that...............guys look, think that number is set in stone, then run over and buy a Kubota...........if they looked into it, and option it the same, the number is very close to the orange one.  

We used to have a New Holland LX665 and stepped up to a Cat 289D.  I've never run a better loader than the Cat.  The new Deere's are very close, but I'd still prefer the Cat.

Current New Holland and Case machines have good visibility and that is where the benefits end in my book.  Just heard a Case & Kubota salesman tell me this morning that the common New Holland and Case platforms have been horrible...I believe the exact word was "junk".  He sells Kubota over the Case.  Brand new Case and New Hollands loaders are coming in the next few months which I understand are a vast improvement, but that remains to be seen.

I can't tell you the number of customers in my area who had fleets of New Holland loaders for years that now have switched over to either Cat or Kubota.

The dealership I was at they sold hundreds of the L/LX/LS's from the L455/ L553 and later. They took on Kubota a few years back and now I see a lot of Kubota's on their lot and in the area. Kind of says something.

Got  two NH skidloaders of my own ,ran all the the other brands.I like mine ,both older one 70 hp,one 30.I  had them almost for 30 years. But if I was buying a new one would not be a NH or any of the other "knock off,off brands".It would be a Bobcat.The new Bobcats are a world away from the ones 20 years ago.Plus they are quiet,tight cabs and doors.Very tough,powerful,good features

Thank you to all who have offered their input. It is great to be able to reach out to such a large source of knowledge. 

I have taken the advice above and reach out to a friend that works at Ziegler. He passed along my information and was able to have a very good conversation with at salesman over there. it sounds like they have a couple of options that would fit my needs both being 242's. one is a 242B pre emission and the other being a 242B3.  

does anyone have an opinion of either of these two machines. I would like to here about the hydraulics? are they smooth or jerky? how about the lift capacity. the old LS170 will pick up more than it should some days. Do the Cat's act the same or will they lift only what they are rated for?

I like the idea of having CAT's parts support but not sure if they have a larger price to support it. Does any have an input on the cost or replacement parts from CAT.

12 hours ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

Maybe you should look into a cab kit, they don’t seem that expensive.

https://www.skidsteersolutions.com/new-holland-replacement-cab-skid-steer-doors-of-north-america/

X2. Might be your cheapest option. But if you are looking at upgrading anyway, it doesn't matter too much.

I don't have much experience with wheeled skid steers. Track ones are a whole other story. I really like the cat machines but we got a couple different deeres to run at work and I gotta say, I am very impressed. I never thought I would look at a deere but they seem to be a workhorse of a machine. Got all the creature comforts as well. The closest dealer seems to be more aggressive than the cat dealer so that makes a difference too.

As far as parts being more for a Cat machine, I dont think it's any worse than other brands. At least they should have stuff on hand. Parts for my Mustang are stupid expensive and some are very hard to get. Not a very old machine either. Good thing it hasn't needed much

For the size and price your looking at, I would look at a D series Deere, C series cat, or even a 400 series case. At least around here one can be bought for 20-30k. Sometimes less too

Can't say that Cat parts are or are not expensive because I haven't needed any.....The ground cable we made here.............I did leave the fuel cap off one time and lost it,  took a rag and zipped stripped it on the neck to finish what we were doing in the fencerow one time, told my wife about it on the phone, she showed up that night with a new cap.  Said they had it on the shelf and it didn't cost much.  

The Cat with pilots will take some getting used to, coming from Gehl T-bars, I hated mine at first, but now I would never go back to t-bars or anything else for that matter.  Lift capacity on mine could get a guy in trouble, will lift more than the machine should handle, but their is quite a difference from my 226 to a 242.  I would suggest go and trying one and go from there.  

12 hours ago, Jacka said:

Got  two NH skidloaders of my own ,ran all the the other brands.I like mine ,both older one 70 hp,one 30.I  had them almost for 30 years. But if I was buying a new one would not be a NH or any of the other "knock off,off brands".It would be a Bobcat.The new Bobcats are a world away from the ones 20 years ago.Plus they are quiet,tight cabs and doors.Very tough,powerful,good features

Does this include the models produced since Doosan bought Bobcat?  I have heard complaints about Bobcat skidsteers after Doosan bought them.  At that point supposedly they went away from the venerable Kubota engines and engine reliability took a dump.

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

Does this include the models produced since Doosan bought Bobcat?  I have heard complaints about Bobcat skidsteers after Doosan bought them.  At that point supposedly they went away from the venerable Kubota engines and engine reliability took a dump.

I hadn’t heard of bobcat going downhill, I do know that the IR larger compressors are much better since Doosan bought them ,much better.   

Come to think of it, here everyone is going Cat with skid steers. By far the most common

On 11/18/2019 at 11:18 AM, TP from Central PA said:

They were having electrical issues...............which I said is why the dealer might be the issue, you can't have guys who put together balers try to troubleshoot electrical issues without a understanding of the system.  

When I first looked at Cat's I was hung up on Gehl's..........My wife was the one who pushed to buy a Cat, so we looked at them.  When I swung the back door open on the Cat, everything on the engine was accessable without standing on your head because the radiator/fan/coolers were above the engine and swung up, unlike the others at the time.  I thought it was a great idea and as much as I wanted t-bars, my wife wanted pilots, so bought the Cat.......................I never planned on not working on it other than servicing.  Heck, other than to clean the crap out of the pan, never had the cage up on it.  I will say the rear veiw isn't as good as other machines, but considering all the pluses everywhere else on it, I can easily live with that.  Ran a 299D with the camera, that solved that issue, but it will be some time before those are used enough for me to buy another one, either way, my old 226 won't leave here, I just want a track machine for alot of things. Actually would like a radial lift CTL Cat about the same size as this one..........247 or something now I believe.

For under $30 you can buy a camera and monitor on Amazon.

20191025_083851.jpg

20191024_101710.jpg

20191024_101326.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gearclash said:

The early tier 4 ones had a bunch of injector problems. We only had 2 of them before we started getting cats.the rest of the machine had all the same problems the older bobcats did.

3 hours ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

20191025_083851.jpg

20191024_101710.jpg

20191024_101326.jpg

I bought one off Amazon for my mustang. $79 and it's been 5 years I think. 1600 hours of abuse and it still works good. I went with the larger display because there is lots of room. Could've put a computer monitor with how much room there is in those machines lol. 

3 hours ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

20191025_083851.jpg

20191024_101710.jpg

20191024_101326.jpg

I bought one off Amazon for my mustang. $79 and it's been 5 years I think. 1600 hours of abuse and it still works good. I went with the larger display because there is lots of room. Could've put a computer monitor with how much room there is in those machines lol. 

I get that, but alot of guys complained the vision to the rear on the Cat's were horrible.............The "Factory" installed camera in them eliminated those complaints, I thought it worked really good and is integrated into the display.

We run the ever living crap out of t550 bobcats. They have their issues here and there but our mechanics say their very easy to work on. I built a 1 mile access road on a solar site with one in La Crescent in 2 days. 5 quad axle dump trucks. 2 haulling class 5,and 3 hauling breaker rock. The cabs are a little tight for me but I'm also 6'4". I do prefer the LX new hollands over bobcats but those machines are very long in the tooth now and didnt AC in any of the machines i ran. An LX 885 new holland was a good machine. I have ran a few cat skid loaders too and they are very nice but i prefer foot controls.